10 questions for 2013

southsider2k5

10. Probably not, he's been in decline since 08. I admit I've never particularly like him, his style, his propensity to be unable to locate in crucial situations.

9. I don't know.

8. This team has been in love with all or nothing hitting for far too long. We need some good situational hitting and hitters badly.

7. I hope not.

6. Not sure. I think he can be, and I really like his ability, makeup and arm. He needs to be more consistent.

5. Keppinger

4. I hope I'm wrong but I don't know if the guy can hit. He's also a + defender but not great.

3. I'm going to believe that he won't regress and will remain solid for the 13 season.

2. I think last year was as good as it will ever be for Peavy. I hope he can approach the success had last year in the coming season.

1. Right now the Sox look like a .500 or so team to me. Would love to be wrong.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
10. Probably not, he's been in decline since 08. I admit I've never particularly like him, his style, his propensity to be unable to locate in crucial situations.

9. I don't know.

8. This team has been in love with all or nothing hitting for far too long. We need some good situational hitting and hitters badly.

7. I hope not.

6. Not sure. I think he can be, and I really like his ability, makeup and arm. He needs to be more consistent.

5. Keppinger

4. I hope I'm wrong but I don't know if the guy can hit. He's also a + defender but not great.

3. I'm going to believe that he won't regress and will remain solid for the 13 season.

2. I think last year was as good as it will ever be for Peavy. I hope he can approach the success had last year in the coming season.

1. Right now the Sox look like a .500 or so team to me. Would love to be wrong.

Every year we have 10 similar questions we saw some very strong performances from Dunn,Rios, Quintanna, Sale, Viciedo and from an array of rookies out of the pen. I would love to see just some improvement from our regulars but am still looking forward to seeing some new blood via trade or fa to this team.

I think the biggest question, not even asked there, is how will Chris Sale respond to 192 innings? This question concerns me most because he is the most important White Sox player for now and the next 10+ years hopefully.

Hypothetical question for y'all...If you were the Sox' GM, and the Marlins' GM called you and offered Giancarlo Stanton for Chris Sale, what woild you say/do?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Hypothetical question for y'all...If you were the Sox' GM, and the Marlins' GM called you and offered Giancarlo Stanton for Chris Sale, what woild you say/do?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

With the injury concerns for Sale, and the fact he is a year away from starting his arb years, I'd do it as a straight up deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
With the injury concerns for Sale, and the fact he is a year away from starting his arb years, I'd do it as a straight up deal.

I don't care if he has injury concerns, you don't trade a pitcher like Sale if you plan on competing in the near future, even for a hitter like Stanton. There is simply no way for us to replace a potential ace anytime soon.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
I don't care if he has injury concerns, you don't trade a pitcher like Sale if you plan on competing in the near future, even for a hitter like Stanton. There is simply no way for us to replace a potential ace anytime soon.

Which is exactly why his injury risk is so significant.

I understand the importance of having an ace on your staff, but, IMO, players that can help you win every day are more important than those that can help you win every 5th (or 6th) game. (ie. Cabrera > Verlander)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

I tend to agree, primarily due to these exact scarcity reasons. In theory, a 4 fWAR from a pitcher is the same as it is from a hitter, but consider that 43 offensive players put up a fWAR of 4 or better this year while only 18 pitchers did. The only way I am dealing Sale is in a deal for a Trout, Cano, McCutcheon.

Stanton does have MVP potential, so it'd be tempting, but I do think I'd have to turn it down.

I tend to agree, primarily due to these exact scarcity reasons. In theory, a 4 fWAR from a pitcher is the same as it is from a hitter, but consider that 43 offensive players put up a fWAR of 4 or better this year while only 18 pitchers did. The only way I am dealing Sale is in a deal for a Trout, Cano, McCutcheon.

Stanton does have MVP potential, so it'd be tempting, but I do think I'd have to turn it down.

That's interesting. I never thought of it in those terms.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)

I agree with this 100%.

Additionally, you have to consider the impact such a trade would have on your chances in the playoffs. An ace can single-handedly carry a team in a short playoff series. Regular season value does not directly translate to playoff value and if the ultimate goal is to win the World Series, nothing should be more valuable than an legit ace come October.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
I actually have relatively few concerns about Sale's durability, and I think he ultimately wins a Cy Young award. If I were the Sox, I'd try and get his first two years of free agency bought out at this point.

I'd make sure he can handle 200-ish innings a year first. If he does that in 2013 without a huge drop-off, then I think they've got someone they should extend as soon as possible. Of course he's more expensive then, but still nowhere near free agency, and I think the lost money to wait a year is worth it in this case.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
I'd make sure he can handle 200-ish innings a year first. If he does that in 2013 without a huge drop-off, then I think they've got someone they should extend as soon as possible. Of course he's more expensive then, but still nowhere near free agency, and I think the lost money to wait a year is worth it in this case.

To be fair though...even if he had a huge dropoff, that might not be telling.

Justin Verlander had what I'd call a huge dropoff in his 3rd full season, 11-17, 4.84 ERA.

If he has a big performance dropoff, I wouldn't call that unexpected. What I want to see him do this year is get to 200 innings and do so with no complaints of elbow soreness or anything like that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
I think the biggest question, not even asked there, is how will Chris Sale respond to 192 innings? This question concerns me most because he is the most important White Sox player for now and the next 10+ years hopefully.

QFT

The rotation- even with Peavy re-signed is still a big question mark. Sale coming off his biggest workload, Danks coming off an injury, Peavy being Peavy, is Quintana for real?

So, not sure why some are so eager to run Floyd out of town. s*** can get ugly if one or two of those question marks rear their heads.