Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Several of those games were pretty close and decided late; only 1 or 2 blowouts if I recall. For some reason, OSU v. Ill games tend to run closer than you'd expect. Don't see it this year, though.

its been that way back to the 60's. Late year games in champaign tend to be windy and unpredictable.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Several of those games were pretty close and decided late; only 1 or 2 blowouts if I recall. For some reason, OSU v. Ill games tend to run closer than you'd expect. Don't see it this year, though.

They definitely gave #1 OSU a scare in '02 & '06. I was at the 2002 game and it still kills me, they were so close to winning. But for some reason they can only seal the deal at the Horseshoe.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
OSU has won the last 9 games in Champaign. It's when they play in Columbus that Illinois steps up their game.

Correct................... OSU will run through Mr. Inept Banks defense to the tune of 40 plus pts and 500 plus yards. I was hoping Banks would be s*** canned today with Illini having a bye week. He makes $400,000 as D-Coor a year that is more than Vic Konning got when his defense was top 20. Illini ranks 102 out of 123 behind powerhouses like Buffalo. Banks picture should be on the post office wall for stealing.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
They definitely gave #1 OSU a scare in '02 & '06. I was at the 2002 game and it still kills me, they were so close to winning. But for some reason they can only seal the deal at the Horseshoe.

That was literally every game that year for OSU. Needed an absolute miracle against Purdue as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Man, if there is ever a time where Mizzou could beat Georgia, it would be this week. String of injuries for Georgia's playmakers on offense, a struggling defense vs. Mizzou who is remarkably healthy.

Will be interesting to see, Murray has been clutch as hell for them though, and Georgia's 3rd string RBs are better than most teams first.

If you were at home, I'd give the edge to Mizzou. Home field seems paramount, this year more than I can ever remember before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

I was there in 2002 and 2006 as well. We lost in 2002 because instant replay didn't exist yet. The end. Same as Michigan in 2000.

Ball State is 5-1, and are near the top in most offensive categories. If they keep this up, we could be only the 2nd team in NCAA history to have a 3 players in the top 5 in D-1 football in Passing Yards, Receiving Yards, and rushing TDs. Our QB Keith Wenning is 2nd (18 short of 1st), our WR Willie Snead is 2nd, and our RB Jahwan Edwards is 1st in TD.

I think it's been a solid year so far. Can't wait to face NIU.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I was there in 2002 and 2006 as well. We lost in 2002 because instant replay didn't exist yet. The end. Same as Michigan in 2000.

That might be the worst officiated game I've ever seen. That game alone was a great proponent of going to instant replay during games.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
If you were at home, I'd give the edge to Mizzou. Home field seems paramount, this year more than I can ever remember before.

Yep. You guys lucked out getting the noon game at Neyland. Obviously SC is still a lot more talented, but a night game in Neyland can be especially tough on teams (e.g. Georgia). The other downside is that it's Fall Break for UT so not as many students will be there.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 06:39 AM)
Indiana's offense is pretty dang good, once again. Sudfeld will be playing on Sundays IMO. The defense played better than I have ever seen. Hard to believe they lose I think 2 starters to graduation. Make a bowl this year, and Indiana should be a top 25 level team next year. I can't believe I just typed that.

Also heard Lou Holtz say Indiana will be Ohio States toughest matchup this year. LOL hard to believe, but I guess it was one heck of a game last season.

Top 25??? I can't believe you just typed that either.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 06:39 AM)
Indiana's offense is pretty dang good, once again. Sudfeld will be playing on Sundays IMO. The defense played better than I have ever seen. Hard to believe they lose I think 2 starters to graduation. Make a bowl this year, and Indiana should be a top 25 level team next year. I can't believe I just typed that.

Also heard Lou Holtz say Indiana will be Ohio States toughest matchup this year. LOL hard to believe, but I guess it was one heck of a game last season.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend about Indiana football. I went to Bloomington for the Mizzou game and the IU friends I was with left in the middle of the third quarter, standard operating procedure. I made sure to read up all the post game reactions from the IU side and was amazed at what I read. Most people thought Indiana was on level terms program wise with Missouri. Just because Mizzou had a garbage year last year (and a 5-7 SEC season is miles better than anything Indiana has done recently) does not mean the programs are close. Mizzou won big as they should.

Sorry to rub it in, but I explained my experience and my friend had a great line: Indiana doesn't know good football because they've never seen it.

The Hoosiers have some good things and could make a bowl game this year, but they're going to have to win all of their toss up games to get to 6-6, and a 6-6 team on that schedule should not be thinking about the top 25 the following year. The only reason we're entertaining the thought about IU in a bowl game is because they have a bunch of s***ty teams coming to Bloomington. IU could make a bowl, but they're only going to do it if they don't beat a team with a winning record along the way.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Yep. You guys lucked out getting the noon game at Neyland. Obviously SC is still a lot more talented, but a night game in Neyland can be especially tough on teams (e.g. Georgia). The other downside is that it's Fall Break for UT so not as many students will be there.

Yeah, I'm happy with the game time for sure. Still, wouldn't be overly surprised to lose this one or the one at Mizzou. There is a dynamic that is missing from this team, that we got used to in the past: dominant defensive play. It isn't there this year, which is a shame, considering it is probably the best offense Spurrier has had since he's been the coach there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 01:23 AM)
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend about Indiana football. I went to Bloomington for the Mizzou game and the IU friends I was with left in the middle of the third quarter, standard operating procedure. I made sure to read up all the post game reactions from the IU side and was amazed at what I read. Most people thought Indiana was on level terms program wise with Missouri. Just because Mizzou had a garbage year last year (and a 5-7 SEC season is miles better than anything Indiana has done recently) does not mean the programs are close. Mizzou won big as they should.

Sorry to rub it in, but I explained my experience and my friend had a great line: Indiana doesn't know good football because they've never seen it.

The Hoosiers have some good things and could make a bowl game this year, but they're going to have to win all of their toss up games to get to 6-6, and a 6-6 team on that schedule should not be thinking about the top 25 the following year. The only reason we're entertaining the thought about IU in a bowl game is because they have a bunch of s***ty teams coming to Bloomington. IU could make a bowl, but they're only going to do it if they don't beat a team with a winning record along the way.

Outside of some pretty good teams around Indy in HS, there is just no good football in Indiana at the HS level to even recruit from. It is a bad football state. It sounds stereotypical, but it is true... everything is about basketball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Outside of some pretty good teams around Indy in HS, there is just no good football in Indiana at the HS level to even recruit from. It is a bad football state. It sounds stereotypical, but it is true... everything is about basketball.

There is some good ball up north as well. The fans just dont care, the stadium was half full for their first ever victory vs PSU.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
There is some good ball up north as well. The fans just dont care, the stadium was half full for their first ever victory vs PSU.

As someone who broadcasts HS football covering the NW corner of the state, even the Penn's and Merrillville's of the world get their asses kicked in Indy. It is a whole other level down there. The rest of the state is no where near that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
As someone who broadcasts HS football covering the NW corner of the state, even the Penn's and Merrillville's of the world get their asses kicked in Indy. It is a whole other level down there. The rest of the state is no where near that.

There's been some good talent out of Fort Wayne the last few years. Luckily for IU, Purdue and ND, Ohio is just a short recruiting drive to the east.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

Yeah, luckily we have USC at home (just like we were so lucky to host Alabama last year and lose by 40!).

Just going to enjoy this week where we are still undefeated and had a great game on Saturday. Was the first time since 2010 that I felt that no one could stop our offense.

The glimmer of hope I have is when James Franklin went to A&M in 2011 and ran through their defense and routed them. But A&M was not a top ten team, Georgia is.

I can dream for 5 more days.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
There's been some good talent out of Fort Wayne the last few years. Luckily for IU, Purdue and ND, Ohio is just a short recruiting drive to the east.

The last time the 5A state champ came from somewhere other than Indy or a collar Indy county was 2000 when Penn won it. In 4A 9 of the last 13 champs are Indy area schools. You don't see any real champs outside of the area until you get to some of the private school factories in 2A and 1A.

There are talented individuals who come from other schools, but the best football is played in Indy, and it isn't even close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
The last time the 5A state champ came from somewhere other than Indy or a collar Indy county was 2000 when Penn won it. In 4A 9 of the last 13 champs are Indy area schools. You don't see any real champs outside of the area until you get to some of the private school factories in 2A and 1A.

There are talented individuals who come from other schools, but the best football is played in Indy, and it isn't even close.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Gelen Robinson, yo.

Well done.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
Calm down, I was just mentioning a hometown player you may have heard of since you said you broadcast HS games in The Region, I wasn't making a statement. I don't follow HS football, I couldn't tell you what teams were good or not.

Kid is a stud. He is going down to Purdue as I understand it, following some other kids from the Region, such as Kawan Short from East Chicago who was a second round pick this year for the NFL, and Ryan Issac who is probably going to be drafted from Michigan City.

We see a ton more basketball players vs football players. Heck a quarter of the University of Michigan basketball roster came from the Duneland Athletic Conference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Kid is a stud. He is going down to Purdue as I understand it, following some other kids from the Region, such as Kawan Short from East Chicago who was a second round pick this year for the NFL, and Ryan Issac who is probably going to be drafted from Michigan City.

We see a ton more basketball players vs football players. Heck a quarter of the University of Michigan basketball roster came from the Duneland Athletic Conference.

I'm hoping 5 years from now we will see both of Glenn Robinson's sons playing professional sports.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm hoping 5 years from now we will see both of Glenn Robinson's sons playing professional sports.

Trey is a borderline lottery pick as I understand it. NBAdraftnet has him projected at #9 as of today. I worry about his work ethic, but the talent is there. I still believe McGary will be a better pro player.