2013-2014 NFL Thread

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 3h

Crazy stat of the day: There were 763 points scored Sunday, the most on a single day in NFL history.

That kind of thing happens when you change the rules to make it illegal to tackle the guy with the ball.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
I certainly don't think it's 100% lock that Seattle makes it to the Super Bowl but let's not get all 2006 St. Louis Cardinals in here either.

To me injuries and penalties will be the biggest factor to take down the Seahawks. They're up there as one of the highest penalized teams in the NFL. That could bite them in a crucial situation and cost them a game if they're not careful.

or turnovers, or scheme or many different factors. Its the NFL. All playoff teams are talented enough to go the distance.

The way Conte is playing would love for Tillman to come back at free safety as Bowman has not been noticed which is a good thing. I knwo that is video game stuff but I would still like to see it.

Cutler played good yesterday, the offense is till not fluid under him as it takes forever for the play to get in and the formation set up. The false start on Jeffrey was blamed on Cutler. I think he had a good day but, getting back to his pocket presence I am still wondering how flawed the previous systems were the coaches, Jay or both.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
I certainly don't think it's 100% lock that Seattle makes it to the Super Bowl but let's not get all 2006 St. Louis Cardinals in here either.

To me injuries and penalties will be the biggest factor to take down the Seahawks. They're up there as one of the highest penalized teams in the NFL. That could bite them in a crucial situation and cost them a game if they're not careful.

You'll definitely have to bring it defensively.

Here is a basic formula on how to beat them.

#1) Shutdown the running game, keeping 7-9 guys in the box at all times while throwing blitzes in there too.

#2) Contain Russell Wilson, using stunts and spies to attempt to confuse him and keep him in the pocket.

#3) Play ball control offense, using runs, counters, tosses, misdirections, play action, and short passes in general to keep the defense on the field.

#4) Take calculated risks on 4th downs.

It's still an incredibly difficult feat, but I think if you can accomplish the above, you have a fairly decent chance at winning.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
He probably still has nightmares about the lines he's played behind for the last several years. Plus its his first game back in awhile. Lost on all the women on Facebook who decided to compare McCown and Cutlers stats the last two weeks is something you added right there, Cleveland's defense is much better than Dallas's patchwork crap. He clearly settled down in the second half.

When Haden got injured, as well as one of the other corners.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
You'll definitely have to bring it defensively.

Here is a basic formula on how to beat them.

#1) Shutdown the running game, keeping 7-9 guys in the box at all times while throwing blitzes in there too.

#2) Contain Russell Wilson, using stunts and spies to attempt to confuse him and keep him in the pocket.

#3) Play ball control offense, using runs, counters, tosses, misdirections, play action, and short passes in general to keep the defense on the field.

#4) Take calculated risks on 4th downs.

It's still an incredibly difficult feat, but I think if you can accomplish the above, you have a fairly decent chance at winning.

Every one of those I think could be accomplished except I really would worry about how you'd control Wilson right now. I haven't seen as much of the Seahawks as I'd like but from everything I've read the numbers he's put up this year are bordering on ridiculous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Every one of those I think could be accomplished except I really would worry about how you'd control Wilson right now. I haven't seen as much of the Seahawks as I'd like but from everything I've read the numbers he's put up this year are bordering on ridiculous.

114 QB rating at home this year. And I'd imagine they'd be the ones controlling the clock with the Bears' poor run defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)

Besides being short he doesn't have a weakness as a quarterback, he's absolutely fantastic.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
The way Conte is playing would love for Tillman to come back at free safety as Bowman has not been noticed which is a good thing. I knwo that is video game stuff but I would still like to see it.

Cutler played good yesterday, the offense is till not fluid under him as it takes forever for the play to get in and the formation set up. The false start on Jeffrey was blamed on Cutler. I think he had a good day but, getting back to his pocket presence I am still wondering how flawed the previous systems were the coaches, Jay or both.

Conte has been less noticeable since Ratliff started playing, but that Gordon TD shouldnt have happened at the end of the game. He let Gordon get behind him AND failed to make a play on the ball/or knock Gordon out of bounds

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
Conte has been less noticeable since Ratliff started playing, but that Gordon TD shouldnt have happened at the end of the game. He let Gordon get behind him AND failed to make a play on the ball/or knock Gordon out of bounds

He's just so annoying to watch. And frankly (though he also had mistakes) I thought at least Steltz came in and made plays vs. run.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
I'm actually not sure Bowman has been a step down. We do severely miss the forced fumbles though.

Bowman has palyed well but just imagine him in a more nickle spot. Tillman is a turnover machine (and yes i do realize I'm typing this after a game in which Bowman had 2 INT's).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
It was still a 50 yard throw against the wind, while getting hit.

The fact that he was throwing a 50 yard pass on third and 11 into double coverage made it a WTF throw.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
I'm a bigger Seahawks fan than Bears fan and I'd pick the Hawks at home 99 times out of 100 but there's always that one time(the little giants taught me that), you just never know.

Excellent reference.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Why? You throw a pick it's as good as a punt.

Not to mention, look who he is throwing the ball to. You have a guy like Jeffrey(ies) out there, it's worth the risk of a pick anyway, chances are good he brings it down.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Why? You throw a pick it's as good as a punt.

You go for a higher percentage play and you get a first down. I wasn't going through Cutler's progressions, so I can't speak for who was or wasn't open. But if there's a shorter pass that'll get you a first down, I'd rather take that. It's not like the only possible outcomes of that play was TD or turnover.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
What?

Ha, how long have I known you?

I couldn't care less about the Bears and have been on the Seahawks bandwagon the last few years. Maybe I should have said I like the Seahawks better than the Bears at the moment.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Ha, how long have I known you?

I couldn't care less about the Bears and have been on the Seahawks bandwagon the last few years. Maybe I should have said I like the Seahawks better than the Bears at the moment.

It was more of wtf, Seahawks? That's total bandwagon. You do the wave now too?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
It was more of wtf, Seahawks? That's total bandwagon. You do the wave now too?

Ha I do not. You know how obsessed I am with fantasy and I've had Marshawn on my team for 3 years straight so I like this version of the Seahawks. Like I said in my last post, I didn't mean to say I was a Seahawks fan but they're my favorite team in the NFC this year, and yes it's definitely bandwagon, oh well.