2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

It really is ironic that the two players who saved baseball fewer than 5 years after a strike wiped out the World Series are being shunned by the MLB when the MLB knew that atleast one of these guys - McGwire - had muscle enhancing drugs in his locker. Yes, I know Cal did his thing in 1995 and that was nice, but there were still a ton of people bitter about baseball. Then - home runs! - and popularity's back up again

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
It really is ironic that the two players who saved baseball fewer than 5 years after a strike wiped out the World Series are being shunned by the MLB when the MLB knew that atleast one of these guys - McGwire - had muscle enhancing drugs in his locker. Yes, I know Cal did his thing in 1995 and that was nice, but there were still a ton of people bitter about baseball. Then - home runs! - and popularity's back up again

...and then f*** those guys!

MLB's a bunch of idiots. They should have just brought in testing and forgotten about the era instead of creating the pointless witch hunt that was the Mitchell Report. That said, that remains some good f***ing reading.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Agreed. And when I look back at the 01-04 numbers, especially 2004, they are just unbelievable. .609 OBP, lol.

Bonds was intentionally walked with the bases loaded. That is absurd. Even more absurd was how much he raked, and how few hittable pitches he actually saw

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Bonds was intentionally walked with the bases loaded. That is absurd. Even more absurd was how much he raked, and how few hittable pitches he actually saw

Career Intentional Walks

1. Barry Bonds - 688

2. Hank Aaron - 293

3. who cares

(it actually goes Pujols, McCovey, Guerrero, Griffey, Brett, Stargell, Murray, Robinson, Manny, yada yada whatever)

Also, fun fact about career intentional walks - only 19 of the top 50 batted exclusively right handed

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
It's really worth relatively little, since no one gives a s*** about your silly opinion.

;)

In all seriousness, however, I think their accomplishments are still incredibly impressive, although the fact that the home run record was eclipsed 6 times by 3 different hitters all within a 4 year span after being relatively unchallenged for the 35 years prior to the late '90's shows just how big of an effect PEDs (especially those PEDs) had on the game. This isn't to say that these particular hitters weren't incredibly talented (we knew this before the late '90's to begin with), but relative to their peers throughout the course of baseball history, I think it is obvious how their PED use affected their performance.

Especially when you look at the drop off in numbers since testing began.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
FWIW Kyle, I agree with you, and, no matter how many steroids he smoked, I will always remember watching Bonds from 01-04 and thinking "I am never going to see anybody play this well again, even if he is on steroids"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
Especially when you look at the drop off in numbers since testing began.

Another good point is that if MLB hadn't cracked down and te chemists kept getting better, you probably would have seen someone play better. If only a few dozen or a few hundred people were on the heaviest stuff, how good of a reaction could we have found if everyone was using? And if scientists figured out things like how to tailor regimens to certain bodies, which requires study to do right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
Another good point is that if MLB hadn't cracked down and te chemists kept getting better, you probably would have seen someone play better. If only a few dozen or a few hundred people were on the heaviest stuff, how good of a reaction could we have found if everyone was using? And if scientists figured out things like how to tailor regimens to certain bodies, which requires study to do right?

I'd be curious to know how much benefit they experienced from improvements to their eyesight...

Jose Fernandez is amazing.

I love how he defended himself tonight & stared that ball down after he killed it.

Don't agree with McCann getting in Joses face after Gattis stared down a homer & Chris Johnson randomly running his mouth at Jose & saying he has a "Weak Ass Fastball" yet Johnson couldn't get a hit off him haha.

Then Jose is rounding 3rd base after his homer & Johnson spits in his direction so Jose spits back.

Hahaha if Fernandez gets robbed of ROTY because of Puig it will be a shame. This guy has had a CY Young type season on a Marlins team.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 11:32 PM)

I love how he defended himself tonight & stared that ball down after he killed it.

Don't agree with McCann getting in Joses face after Gattis stared down a homer & Chris Johnson randomly running his mouth at Jose & saying he has a "Weak Ass Fastball" yet Johnson couldn't get a hit off him haha.

Then Jose is rounding 3rd base after his homer & Johnson spits in his direction so Jose spits back.

Hahaha if Fernandez gets robbed of ROTY because of Puig it will be a shame. This guy has had a CY Young type season on a Marlins team.

I don't know who'd I vote for ROY, Puig or Fernandez. In a full season, Puig would have like a 6+ WAR, which is pretty amazing. It's just a shame he will end up w/ only around 100 games played. If he would have been here all year, he'd have it wrapped up by now.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
Wow, Derek Jeter has only played 17 games this season and has somehow managed to put up a -0.6 WAR. That's incredible. That's almost a -6.0 WAR over a full season. WOW.

To be fair, he was playing defense while he was still hurt.

Jeter's already a bad defensive SS, playing hurt only made him worse.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)

f*** the Braves. Just a 21-year old kid enjoying the game of baseball on a s***ty team. Don't get so butthurt because you can't hit his pitching.

I think they all got butt hurt because he was spitting on the bases when he was trotting around them and because of the bat flip/stare down. Comcast showed him rounding third and spitting on the base and that's when the Braves really got pissed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
Barry Bonds was one if the games best hitters before he began doping(well, obvious doping). It turned him into an unstoppable force. Other players became merely better

Yes, and this is consistent with what happens with other elite athletes as they practice and train. They show incredible gains quickly, whereas others just show moderate gains (if any at all)...this is part of why they become elite and others do not.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
To be fair, he was playing defense while he was still hurt.

Jeter's already a bad defensive SS, playing hurt only made him worse.

I don't doubt he played injured, but it's amazing that he could have been THAT bad over such a short period. But upon further review, Tyler Colvin may have actually done worse. In his 27 games, he had a -1.1 WAR. Yeezus christ.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
I think they all got butt hurt because he was spitting on the bases when he was trotting around them and because of the bat flip/stare down. Comcast showed him rounding third and spitting on the base and that's when the Braves really got pissed

Chris Johnson spit in his direction when he was near him first & Gattis stared down Jose first when he homered.

Yet Jose was the bigger guy who apologized after the game & went to the Braves clubhouse & apologized face to face.

Couple of those Braves players involved are supposed to be "vets".

To get mad because a kid is out there having fun is absurd. He was in no way showing them up & Chris Johnson has the nerve as he just got out to say to Jose you have a "Weak Ass Fastball"?....

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Chris Johnson spit in his direction when he was near him first & Gattis stared down Jose first when he homered.

Yet Jose was the bigger guy who apologized after the game & went to the Braves clubhouse & apologized face to face.

Couple of those Braves players involved are supposed to be "vets".

To get mad because a kid is out there having fun is absurd. He was in no way showing them up & Chris Johnson has the nerve as he just got out to say to Jose you have a "Weak Ass Fastball"?....

Even his own coach didn't agree with what he did

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=9665893

I didn't read anything about Johnson spitting towards him, I guess he could hav, but the events in the article are opposite from what you are saying. Regardless, the kid is an amazing talent. He can still have fun without showing up the other team.

Rios with a HUGEEEE hit to cut the As lead to 1 & drive in 2 with 2 outs...

Beltre steps up with a single Rios goes to 3rd & is SAFEEEEEE clear cut & is called out.

Honestly why did it take MLB so long for replay?.....Sickening really. MLB may be USA "FAVORITE" past time but ALL THE CHEATING BULL CRAP THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CAUGHT IS OVER.....Replays in play now & PEDs GONE.....Let the most TALENTED win now instead of the most CHEATING.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
Rios with a HUGEEEE hit to cut the As lead to 1 & drive in 2 with 2 outs...

Beltre steps up with a single Rios goes to 3rd & is SAFEEEEEE clear cut & is called out.

Honestly why did it take MLB so long for replay?.....Sickening really. MLB may be USA "FAVORITE" past time but ALL THE CHEATING BULL CRAP THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CAUGHT IS OVER.....Replays in play now & PEDs GONE.....Let the most TALENTED win now instead of the most CHEATING.

He also likely got himself suspended by bumping the umpire. Blown call... but its the last few weeks of the season. Every win counts, Alex. What a hothead.

...and Joe West is skullf***ing the Rangers. At least its not just the Sox.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 12:05 AM)
He also likely got himself suspended by bumping the umpire. Blown call... but its the last few weeks of the season. Every win counts, Alex. What a hothead.

...and Joe West is skullf***ing the Rangers. At least its not just the Sox.

Go straight to hellll .

Did you even watch the game...or may have caught a slight replay?

Rios was SAFEEEEEE & got kicked out cause a ref """""PRETENDEDDDDDDD HE WAS RIGHT""""""

So sad