Frustrating.

My_Sox_Summer

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
The team has one playoff win since 2006. They haven't been putting out a good product of late and they've made a decent buck doing so.

Then why do you keep your season tickets? If the product has been so bad the last six years, I'm sure there are a lot better things you could do with your money.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to about 3-6 Sox games every year, but I also plan a Sox group outing every year which gives the Sox $1-1.5k (patio party + game tickets for 20+ people).

I may go to more games on Sundays since ticket prices are so low now, but I live at the very northern border of Chicago so it's still not "easy" to get down to the ball park (yes the redline goes all the way down to it, well ish with the construction, but that's a long train ride).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
I go to about 3-6 Sox games every year, but I also plan a Sox group outing every year which gives the Sox $1-1.5k (patio party + game tickets for 20+ people).

I may go to more games on Sundays since ticket prices are so low now, but I live at the very northern border of Chicago so it's still not "easy" to get down to the ball park (yes the redline goes all the way down to it, well ish with the construction, but that's a long train ride).

I live in Rogers Park too man. You can hop on the Metra to blaze down there if you don't want to deal with the Red Line or hop on the 147 express at Howard Station.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
I live in Rogers Park too man. You can hop on the Metra to blaze down there if you don't want to deal with the Red Line or hop on the 147 express at Howard Station.

You still have to transfer to the red line though from the Metra right? Or is there some route I'm missing?

I think the closer it gets to summer, more and more seats will be filled. This team is also kind of searching for an identity. White Sox fans tend to attach themselves to specific players as well. This current roster really doesn't have the 'major' personalities. I really don't see fans rushing to the stadium to buy Viciedo, Ramirez, Beckham, Keppinger or Flowers jerseys. Other than Sale, Peavy, Konerko or even Rios this team is still searching for more stars. Hopefully another youngster will develop into that this year. I think the loss of Buerhle and AJ upset some of the casual fans. (Not us Soxtalkers).

I for one will be going to many games this summer once my school year ends. (I am a middle school teacher).... I believe many families will do the same once their children are out of school. It makes me wonder how many Cub fans are out of work with the way they used to sell out during the weekdays?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm offended by that picture. Who are you to tell the White Sox fan how to spend their money and why is being a good fan dependent upon buying tickets?

Why do you find it offensive? You do your part, you aren't making excuses for why you don't go. It isn't directed at you.

(Plus note the ;) which if you don't understand that, well, ask somebody)

It is directed at the thousands of people that say on a regular basis that they would go to games if it was less expensive, if parking was less. Well, you got your wish, and you still didn't show up. Opening week, Sale on the mound, heck of deal for a Sunday. Weather was fine (in the sun) not a bad day for a game.

Although the team did miss the playoffs last year, it was an amazing year most of the time. 1st place, in a year that was written off by the general manager in February. They struggled at the end, but it doesn't change the fact that they put together a hell of a year.

Just an early season reminder to fans that the organization is making an effort to make it affordable. I'd like to see this trend continue, so I'd like to see some support of it.

I went to alot of games last summer, but I would never say that I am a better fan than anyone else. I am pretty sure there are bigger fanatics than myself that go to few games. But those fans also don't b**** about prices or make excuses for why they don't go to games.

And no, this is not a meme. :) I am hardly smart enough to create something like that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
You still have to transfer to the red line though from the Metra right? Or is there some route I'm missing?

Green or you can xfer to the Red at Roosevelt if you don't want to walk the extra blocks from the green. 147 is my favorite because you get dropped of a block east of the Green line Randolph/Wabash stop.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
So I made this pic.

If it offends you, you are a crappy fan. ;)

zsNVvzu.jpg

Go Sox.

I refuse to accept that I'm a crappy fan for not going to see a game in 32 degree weather. This passive/aggressive guilt-trip garbage is not helpful.

I do want to say though, I went to the game on Saturday which was crazy warm. It was a blast, the food at the game is just awesome now. On top of that, that Saturday game was amazing, and that was a garbage 07 lineup out there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
I refuse to accept that I'm a crappy fan for not going to see a game in 32 degree weather. This passive/aggressive guilt-trip garbage is not helpful.

It was in the 50's most of the game, cooled off to 43 by the end.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
Then why do you keep your season tickets? If the product has been so bad the last six years, I'm sure there are a lot better things you could do with your money.

Thankfully, I have enough expendable income where I don't have to base the decision of keeping my tickets on on-field performance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Leaving Marty's hilarity about this somehow being the Sox' fault aside for the moment... it is APRIL, and the team just played two teams with possibly the smallest national followings of any other teams we will play. With most games being in the 30's or 40's weather-wise. Of course attendance was bad. And of course, it will get a lot better as the weather does and we play more popular opponents.

Is this newsworthy?

What other business do you blame the customer for sales?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Why stop at attending games? I say if you don't give 15% of your income to the Sox you're not doing your part as a fan.

I'm also a fan of the Bears, Blackhawks, & Illini. So in order to be a true fan, should I be giving 60% of my income to sports teams?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
What other business do you blame the customer for sales?

Again, it isn't about this. It is about the "fans" who said that the only thing holding them back from attending more games was price.

That has been changed, and still (yes it's early) fans didn't show up. Hope the numbers go up, but if the impact isn't made, so will the ticket prices. Same attendance with lower prices won't last.

To be honest, I could really give a crap if people show or not. I don't mind being the only person in my row. I like the space. I like using the restroom quickly. I like not waiting in line forever for my drinks or food.

What I do mind is people (not you Marty) saying that it is a price thing when it is clearly more than that.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Why stop at attending games? I say if you don't give 15% of your income to the Sox you're not doing your part as a fan.

Jesus, even with my meager $30K yearly pay, giving $4,500 to a baseball team seems excessive. People have monthly payments to make towards rent or mortgage as well as car, insurance, phone, credit card, cable, utility, and any other assorted payments they may have as well.

15% is an absurd amount of money. You might be able to get away with an argument for 5%, which is still a ridiculously high standard (which would still be $1,500 a year from me, which is a crazy amount of money - between beer, tickets, and food, the most I've spent on myself at a baseball game is $70). If you maintain 15%, then there might be like 5 fans - Jerry Reinsdorf included - that you would suggest are doing their part.