Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Wow, that could blow up the draft.

No it won't.

He's still going top 3. Adderall and stim use amongst college baseball players isn't outside the norm. He still has top of the rotation potential.

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
No it won't.

He's still going top 3. Adderall and stim use amongst college baseball players isn't outside the norm. He still has top of the rotation potential.

In fact, Law speculates Gray could be more attractive to the Astros and the Cubs as a positive test could prompt him to sign for a discount. This freeing up allotted slot money to use with picks later in the draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 05:32 PM)
In fact, Law speculates Gray could be more attractive to the Astros and the Cubs as a positive test could prompt him to sign for a discount. This freeing up allotted slot money to use with picks later in the draft.

Agreed. If it was HGH or steroids, he'd be f***ed. Since it's "only" an amphetamine, he'll be fine draft position wise.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Editors from Baseball America just did their mock draft. Have the Sox picking HS catcher NICK CIUFFO. Definitely do not see the White Sox picking him. After what Lauman had to say about being happy with the organizational depth in the minors.

Among our catching prospects in low minors (Ayala, Mosier, Marjama) who are we most high on? Ayala and Mosier are not playing and obviously ticketed for another year with one of the Rookie Leagues. Marjama is with Kanny.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
With all of the flops by the "high ceiling" guys the past few drafts, it makes me wonder if we will go back to the high floor, low ceiling type picks.

I sure as f*** hope not. Championships aren't built off Lance Broadway draft selections. I recall many here on Soxtalk suggesting Broadway and his ilk would be good trade baits because they'd put up quality minor league numbers and be appealing to a trade partner. Not only was that not true, but it was a terrible draft philosophy.

I would rather draft high potential over the low ceiling every pick of every draft. Give me the Nevin Griffith over Kyle McCulloch. Since there's no certainty in any pick, highly regarded or not, why not gamble on potential?

Now, I haven't been following the draft or who may be available around our selection; but past years have shown that we're unpredictable.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

All-star C ceiling, Pierzynski type. @zwendkos: what is Ciuffo's ceiling? #mlbdraft

Expand

Sure, why not.

Even if he busted, that's what the other 39 rounds are for. Ok, the next 9 rounds.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Supposed to be signable, but it seems highly unlikely he falls to them. I still think it will be Gonzalez or Chris Anderson.

Yeah, that Gonzalez guy looks like a pretty safe pick, in a good way.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Among our catching prospects in low minors (Ayala, Mosier, Marjama) who are we most high on? Ayala and Mosier are not playing and obviously ticketed for another year with one of the Rookie Leagues. Marjama is with Kanny.

Barraza, the other HS catcher from last year's draft (with Ayala), had TJ surgery and misses this season. Ayala is in extended ST, probably ticketed for rookie. Not sure on Mosier. Marjama is a step ahead of those guys, either he succeeds and goes to W-S at some point this year, or he doesn't and someone else takes the Kanny slot late this year or next.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Draft is now just 2 days away.

Best Case Scenarios (BPA who would have to fall to us. In order of my liking to the players):

1.) DJ Peterson, New Mexico, 1B- One of the most advance hitters in the draft. Should reach the majors sooner than most and risk is low. Defense is weak and he's average to slow running. Could be a perennial .275 hitter with 25 HRs, think Michael Cuddyer in his prime.

2.) Dominic Smith, HS, 1B - USC Commit and very impressive athelete for a 1B. Lefty arm throws 90+ MPH. Solid defender, good makeup and best pure HS hitter. Ceiling could be Adrian Gonzalez type.

3.) Trey Ball, HS, LHP/OF - 94 MPH fastball. More likely to start as a pitcher than an OF. Nice to have two options if he doesn't work as a pitcher. Curveball projects well along with his 91-94 MPH fastball.

4.) Ryne Stanek, Arkansas, RHP - Reviews are mixed but generally good. Command seems to be a slight issue and doesn't have great velo or an out pitch (slider is close). Nice frame and projects as a back end of the rotation starter with a #2-#3 starter as his ceiling.

5.) Hunter Renfroe, Mississippi St., OF - Toolsy OF with serious power and serious throwing arm. Throws 96+ MPH off the mound. He has been rising up the boards but really has only had one great year. Another tools guy who has to put them together. Would fit the description of a KW draft pick.

More Likely Scenarios (In order of my liking to the players):

1.) Alex Gonazalez, Oral Roberts, RHP - 91-93 MPH fastball with very good movement. Flying up the boards after his slider's development into a plus pitch. Ceiling is #2-#3 starter and basement is a reliever. A couple of scouts doubt him as a SP but no one doubts his fastball-slider combo out of the pen.

2.) JP Crawford, HS, SS - Another USC commit. Less of a risk than a normal HS player. Great defense at shortstop and while he is improving at the plate, he hits for a good average and carries plus speed. May grow out of the SS position but has the speed and athleticism to play all over the diamond. Cousin of Carl.

3.) Chris Anderson, Jacksonsville, RHP - Ceiling as a #2 starter. Nice pitcher's frame at 6' 4" 225 and a slider that projects as an out pitch. Fastball in the mid nineties. Pretty good amount of risk for a college pitcher. His college stats at Jacksonville aren't overly impressive and has only started one full season. However, Anderson has been tied to the Sox as much as anyone but Alex Gonazalez and Austin Wilson.

4.) Phillip Ervin, Samford, OF - His bat speed may be the best in the draft. A little stocky but still has decent speed. Defensively he projects as average but has very good speed. Hit well with wood bat in Cape Cod League. A couple reviews see him with the potential to drop out of the 1st on draft day.

5.) Austin Wilson, Stanford, OF - High risk, high reward. To me, he screams bust. He possesses good strength, athletic ability and has the tools. Outstanding arm. He does seem to look unnatural on the field. Never has hit like a 1st RD pick for an extended period of time at Stanford. About as risky as a college OFer comes, his ceiling is Ginacarlo Stanton and his basement would be maybe a RH Joe Borchard.

6.) Aaron Judge, Fresno St., OF - Judge is massive at 6' 7" and 260 lbs. Very good K/BB ratio and pretty solid overall approach. While scouts put his power potential at 30+ HRs, he holds a short swing that has yet to put that projection into fruition. Pretty solid in the other aspects of the game but the big wild card is whether the power will project. I am not a big fan of hitters with long arms.

Good work. I'm not a fan of Ervin, at all. I don't like J.P. Crawford, either. I don't like drafting a marginal bat at any position -- it isn't hard to find superb SS defenders that can't hit, there's always an Eduardo Escobar for that. Wilson could be exciting, but like you said there is some substantial risk. Judge is intriguing, but you don't want to be stuck with a Ryan Sweeney who has waited 28 years for his power to arrive. Dominic Smith could be worth a pick, but I don't like Peterson a whole lot...we could do worse, we haven't gone for a "low risk" hitter in quite a while. Maybe Gordon was low risk?

When I think of being the GM and picking between these guys, I can definitely understand why you'd end up going with pitchers more than half the time and using most, if not all, your high position player picks on high upside/high risk players. I don't like having a guy completely pan out and that just means he is a sub-All-Star player.

Yeah I don't think Smith makes it past the Mets, from what I've been reading. But, all it takes is one out-of-nowhere Astros-type reach to throw the whole thing off, I guess.

I would love Renfroe, and I think Gonzalez will be off the board already. I think we'll end up with Chris Anderson, who seems very whatever. Law had us reaching for Tim Anderson on his latest though, and wouldn't you rather have Crawford than him? :D

Edited by Eminor3rd