This team is a catastrophe right now

Buehrle>Wood

I'm a little drunk(drinking is the only way to make going to these Sox games fun after all)so prepare for the over exaggerations. This team is just awful. This franchise is awful.

-Robin Ventura, go the f*** away. You are one incredibly bad manager who almost makes me wish for the days of Ozzie Guillen. Almost. Thank you so much for not signing that extension.

- Adam Dunn: You need to retire, you bum. You said you would if you ever had a season like two years ago. Here's your chance! Maybe Jim Thome has kept in shape.

- Matt Thornton: How does an 8 year veteran make the mistake of trying to pick someone off second with 2 strikes? Oh, you have no confidence in youself? Don't worry, we have zero confidence in you too.

-Jeff Keppinger: Utility man signed to be a key part of this team. Catch the fever.

-Tyler Flowers: LOL at anyone who kept claiming he'd be competent this off-season. And LOL at me for almost believing you.

-Front office: Just... I don't even know where to begin.

This team still does have some parts, believe it or not. De Aza, Rios, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Danks(hopefully), SANTIAGO( free him, you idiots), Jones and Reed seem good enough to keep around and win some games. They just have next to nothing around them and it is pathetic.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know Flowers has been one of the better hitters on the team right?

The offense is definitely a mess and the pen is more wobbly that expected but even though they are 5 games under .500 they have been outscored by 7 runs. That is not a lot, because they are losing close games, which is the razor's edge that teams with crappy offenses have to navigate.

They could reel off a 7 game winning streak and be in second place and then you'd probably think they hung the moon.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:13 AM)
You do know Flowers has been one of the better hitters on the team right?

Which is hilarious, because he is awful.

The offense is definitely a mess and the pen is more wobbly that expected but even though they are 5 games under .500 they have been outscored by 7 runs. That is not a lot, because they are losing close games, which is the razor's edge that teams with crappy offenses have to navigate.

They could reel off a 7 game winning streak and be in second place and then you'd probably think they hung the moon.

The pen is fine. A rough two games, but they have been fine. It will take a hit whenever Sox management gets their heads out of their ass and moves Santiago to the rotation. But still fine. And a rotation of Sale- Peavy- Danks- Santiago- Q should be able to compete.with anyone. But they won't. Not with the offense as is and terrible roster management and decision making.

Flowers has been slightly above average for a catcher battingwise and not a disaster behind the dish. I really don't get why people on this board rag on him - blind AJ fanboyism?

Anyways I was curious and visited Fangraphs and apparently Dunn and Keppinger have already been worth a whopping -1.5 wins between them!

The problem is that there is no elite talent on the big league team (PK may have been once, but the years and mileage have taken their toll, and Sale, while likely to be a very good starter, is, in my opinion, a solid number one starter, but not a true ace...and yes board, feel free to flame me if you'd like), and there isn't any on the farm apparently, as Hawkins is struggling, although it's way too early to write him off. There is some decent talent on the big league club, but to contend, you really would need career seasons from a lot of those players (e.g. DeAza, Viciedo, Beckham). The years of safe but low ceiling drafting along with few very high draft picks (which is a nice problem to have) have left the cupboard bare, and I just don't see how the Sox are going to be competitive for a while. I'm optimistic that Hahn will right the ship sooner rather than later, and while a lot of people point out (and are partially correct) that loading up on top prospects isn't a recipe for success, it doesn't hurt your chances, particularly when said top prospects can be great trade chips. Sorry to give up on the season so soon, but I'm hoping for a fire sale, and to bring in as many young players as possible and let Ventura do what he's supposed to be good at - working with young talent. Yeah, the attendance will be miserable, as will the on-field product, but those things will happen anyway with the current team. I'd like to see the Sox be proactive sooner rather than later, and will support and follow the team with a keen eye towards the future. Hahn was apparently one of the most coveted young execs in baseball, so let's see what he can do.

QUOTE (KPBears @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
The problem is that there is no elite talent on the big league team (PK may have been once, but the years and mileage have taken their toll, and Sale, while likely to be a very good starter, is, in my opinion, a solid number one starter, but not a true ace...and yes board, feel free to flame me if you'd like), and there isn't any on the farm apparently, as Hawkins is struggling, although it's way too early to write him off. There is some decent talent on the big league club, but to contend, you really would need career seasons from a lot of those players (e.g. DeAza, Viciedo, Beckham). The years of safe but low ceiling drafting along with few very high draft picks (which is a nice problem to have) have left the cupboard bare, and I just don't see how the Sox are going to be competitive for a while. I'm optimistic that Hahn will right the ship sooner rather than later, and while a lot of people point out (and are partially correct) that loading up on top prospects isn't a recipe for success, it doesn't hurt your chances, particularly when said top prospects can be great trade chips. Sorry to give up on the season so soon, but I'm hoping for a fire sale, and to bring in as many young players as possible and let Ventura do what he's supposed to be good at - working with young talent. Yeah, the attendance will be miserable, as will the on-field product, but those things will happen anyway with the current team. I'd like to see the Sox be proactive sooner rather than later, and will support and follow the team with a keen eye towards the future. Hahn was apparently one of the most coveted young execs in baseball, so let's see what he can do.

Rios and Sale are the only thing close to elite talents on the team right now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:58 AM)
I'm a little drunk(drinking is the only way to make going to these Sox games fun after all)so prepare for the over exaggerations. This team is just awful. This franchise is awful.

-Robin Ventura, go the f*** away. You are one incredibly bad manager who almost makes me wish for the days of Ozzie Guillen. Almost. Thank you so much for not signing that extension.

- Adam Dunn: You need to retire, you bum. You said you would if you ever had a season like two years ago. Here's your chance! Maybe Jim Thome has kept in shape.

- Matt Thornton: How does an 8 year veteran make the mistake of trying to pick someone off second with 2 strikes? Oh, you have no confidence in youself? Don't worry, we have zero confidence in you too.

-Jeff Keppinger: Utility man signed to be a key part of this team. Catch the fever.

-Tyler Flowers: LOL at anyone who kept claiming he'd be competent this off-season. And LOL at me for almost believing you.

-Front office: Just... I don't even know where to begin.

This team still does have some parts, believe it or not. De Aza, Rios, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Danks(hopefully), SANTIAGO( free him, you idiots), Jones and Reed seem good enough to keep around and win some games. They just have next to nothing around them and it is pathetic.

Not a bad post considering you are drunk. Tyler Flowers' stats do not wow me, either.

QUOTE (KPBears @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:44 AM)

IMO, it has a lot less to do with drafting safe talent. Instead, far too many trades have resulted recently in the Sox giving up talented players only to get absolutely nothing in terms of impact players in return. Hahn definitely has a tough job right now and can't afford to continue with Kenny's streak of striking out on trades. Gillaspie was a good start for Hahn, but bigger trades are sure to come. There's not a single position player that you can place in the mock 2015 Sox lineup and be confident they will be an everyday starter. I'm not sure there's another team in baseball you could say that about.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
IMO, it has a lot less to do with drafting safe talent. Instead, far too many trades have resulted recently in the Sox giving up talented players only to get absolutely nothing in terms of impact players in return. Hahn definitely has a tough job right now and can't afford to continue with Kenny's streak of striking out on trades. Gillaspie was a good start for Hahn, but bigger trades are sure to come. There's not a single position player that you can place in the mock 2015 Sox lineup and be confident they will be an everyday starter. I'm not sure there's another team in baseball you could say that about.

Well we have had moments of clarity where they were afraid to move names due to concerns over attendance. In 2007 we did not unload. We held on to certain players a year too long and when we did move someone we boat anchored them with a contract we wanted to move off the books. What kind of return are you getting when you boat anchor Teahen to the trade. Hahn will need 2 things. One is time to revert the mess he is in. The other is Reinsdorf/Kenny from making baseball decisions.

I think we need to do a better job of scouting ourselves and what is something we should keep and build on versus dump and chase elsewhere.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:50 AM)

And yet our rotation in 2015 may very well be the same as it is now, and that's a good thing. We just need someone, anyone, who can hit. Luckily that should be easier to find.

Edit: should say the way it should be now.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
And yet our rotation in 2015 may very well be the same as it is now, and that's a good thing. We just need someone, anyone, who can hit. Luckily that should be easier to find.

Well its easy to find if we actually evaluate talent. We seem to get caught in a type of player we want and then we replicate the pick up of said player.

How many Broadway type clones did we pick up. Now its the Mitchell clones.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:55 AM)

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind the Sox giving Beckham a 3 year extension for a team-friendly amount (I think baseball prospectus recommended this also). He might not be great, but he'll give you good defense and double digit home runs while allowing you to focus on other positions to try and upgrade.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:55 AM)

Also another reason I'd love to see Santiago get innings/experience as a starter this season.