Reed hits AJ

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
That's a bit of a stretch. If AJ was still in San Fran or some other team in 2005, I think the Sox still could have won.

Without AJ we're down 0-2 to the Angels going back to SoCal in the ALCS. Without AJ our pitchers may not have thrown almost 5 complete games in a row.

sit down.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
The hero worship of the 2005 team makes me laugh sometimes.

f*** YES I'm glad these guys came together and won a title. It will probably be the greatest sports moment of my life, but s***, you gotta let it go. People age, players get less effective in the field. Happens to EVERYONE. I swear there are people on this message board who would take the entire 2005 team as they are in 2013 for the current Sox Roster. Old age, retirement and all...

You miss the point. Of course players come and go but that doesn't mean that you don't continue to appreciate the contributions they made when they were here and you don't wish them ill just because they are no longer on the team.

After all AJ contributed to the Sox while he was here, why be happy that he was drilled? It makes as much sense as Cleveland fans booing Thome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)
Without AJ we're down 0-2 to the Angels going back to SoCal in the ALCS. Without AJ our pitchers may not have thrown almost 5 complete games in a row.

sit down.

Only AJ would have been smart enough to make the fundamental play we were all taught in little league.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
Yes, they were. Outside of Everett, they were all really nice guys too. Even Everett was said to be a great teammate while on the Sox. I don't think they were plunked after leaving. That should tell you something.

It'd be pretty lol if Reed wasn't even trying to hit him. :lol:

Did any of them even bat against the Sox after they left? I doubt El Duque or Contreras did and I don't remember if the Sox played against Rowand or Everett or Uribe after they were traded.

Anyway, throwing at AJ was stupid.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
You miss the point. Of course players come and go but that doesn't mean that you don't continue to appreciate the contributions they made when they were here and you don't wish them ill just because they are no longer on the team.

After all AJ contributed to the Sox while he was here, why be happy that he was drilled? It makes as much sense as Cleveland fans booing Thome.

But I'm sure the players didn't have an issue with Thome haha.

Can't deny AJ is an asshole, hell even the other "Sox Legend" up in the booth was laughing at it. He wasn't trying to scorch the Earth and you know he can at the drop of a hat haha

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 1, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
Only AJ would have been smart enough to make the fundamental play we were all taught in little league.

Has it really been so long you've forgotten that he didnt start running till he noticed josh paul had rolled the ball back to the mound? It was a calculated risk that paid off in spades. That was AJ in a nutshell.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
White Sox are totally classless. There was no legit reason to throw at AJ there. And the meatheads love it because they never appreciated AJ when he was here. No AJ, no White Sox World Series.

AJ is better off with a real contender and the Sox are stuck with Flowers who not only can't hit but doesn't handle the pitching staff as well as AJ did and hasn't been any better throwing runners out. I'd say AJ gets the last laugh and the Sox just showed why they are the pathetic losers they have become.

wow

Also Game 2 was tied. Not like the Angels were going to wrap it up there if AJ doesn't run to first. Hell Crede might have led it off with a blast in the 10th.

Bottom line 2005 was a TEAM effort and you can't elevate one player over anyone else on that team cause they all did their part. So to say without AJ they don't win the series is ludicrous.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Also Game 2 was tied. Not like the Angels were going to wrap it up there if AJ doesn't run to first. Hell Crede might have led it off with a blast in the 10th.

Bottom line 2005 was a TEAM effort and you can't elevate one player over anyone else on that team cause they all did their part. So to say without AJ they don't win the series is ludicrous.

To say they definitively still win the series is much MORE ludicrous if you give Ben Davis 500 ABs.

I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Closer Addison Reed said he was trying to pitch A.J. Pierzynski inside, but he was not trying to intentionally hit his former Chicago White Sox teammate known for outspoken ways.

“I was trying to throw inside and it happened to hit him,’’ said Reed, who worked a scoreless ninth for his ninth save. “Was I trying to hit him? Absolutely not.’’

Reed said he enjoyed throwing to Pierzynski when he was the White Sox catcher.

“I grew up a Sox fan rooting for him,’’ Reed said. “I have nothing at all against him.’’

Pierzynski, signed by the Texas Rangers in the offseason, was used as a pinch hitter with two outs and nobody on in the ninth with the White Sox leading 5-2. Reed’s pitch hit Pierzynski in the elbow.

With a three-run lead against the powerful Rangers lineup, White Sox manager Robin Ventura explained, “We’re not trying to put anybody on base.”

“You saw what happened,” he said. “Thirty seconds later, they had the tying run at the plate. There was no message sent.’’

Reed said there was no conversation between himself and Pierzynski after the incident.

“I didn’t hear anything,’’ Reed said. “I had other things on my mind.’’

In the Rangers clubhouse, Pierzynski said he wasn’t aware of any problems with Reed.

"Not that I know of," Pierzynski said. "I always got along fine with him."

Ian Kinsler singled after Pierzynski was hit. But Reed struck out Elvis Andrus, representing the tying run, with two on to complete his ninth save of the season. Reed has converted 15 straight save opportunities dating back to the 2012 season.

Together with Jesse Crain and Matt Thornton, the White Sox bullpen did not allow a run. Coming into the game, the bullpen had been tagged for a 7.43 ERA and an 0-4 record over the preceding eight games.

Reed was a Sox fan growing up? Interesting.

I read the game thread and every post here so far. No one mentioned AJ clearly threw out his elbow since he knows he wears that elbow pad. He was getting on base any way he could because that's what you do when you're down 3 runs in the 9th. Heady player ? No doubt. Fiery competitor ? No doubt. Jerk ? No doubt. Helped Sox win the World Series and became part of White Sox lore, (what little there is) ? NO DOUBT ! Would've got hit regardless of weather or not he threw out his elbow or just stood there ? Questionable. Did Reed throw at him ? Questionable since you probably don't want any runner's on when you're trying to close out a game.

Conclusions. AJ getting on makes him a team player . If Reed hit him on purpose that is putting yourself above the team but that's inconclusive. And this kind of stuff has been going on in baseball since the game was invented. Very entertaining. The rest is speculation.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
Or how many people moaned when the Sox signed him...? "We have to root for that douche?"

I never understood that line of thinking, but there definitely was some of that going around. The only people that should be concerning themselves with whether or not AJ is an asshole are the ones who are on the field or in the clubhouse with him. Front office too, perhaps.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)

White Sox are totally classless. There was no legit reason to throw at AJ there. And the meatheads love it because they never appreciated AJ when he was here. No AJ, no White Sox World Series.

AJ is better off with a real contender and the Sox are stuck with Flowers who not only can't hit but doesn't handle the pitching staff as well as AJ did and hasn't been any better throwing runners out. I'd say AJ gets the last laugh and the Sox just showed why they are the pathetic losers they have become.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:16 AM)
Reed was a Sox fan growing up? Interesting.

I asked the same question.

Being from San Diego and all, why would he be a Sox fan?

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:35 PM)
Uribe, Everett, AJ, Rowand, Contreras, El Duque... these were the heart and soul of a winning baseball team. These players were winners, brought a championship to this miserable city and there are a great many "Sox fans" who ridiculed these players and were happy when they left.

It's people like you that keep the 85 Bears relevant in this city.