Reed hits AJ

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
I was sick to my stomach thinking those rumors might be true, as I didn't want his legacy with the White Sox to be tarnished. I loved AJ on the Sox, and do think he played a big part in changing the culture of the team when he came over in 2005. With that said, it's not surprising he ruffled some feathers in the organization. He might be the greatest example ever of someone that you love if they're on your team and hate if they're against you.

When AJ was on the Twins, I always wished the Sox could get a catcher like him. I really wanted the Sox to pick him up before the 2005 season and was glad when they did. When some people were saying they wanted no part of AJ, I said that if the Sox signed him he would be the best catcher they had in a long time. I grudgingly respected him when he was on the Twins and loved him being on the Sox. I still wish him all the best and I hope he returns to the White Sox organization in some capacity some day.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:47 AM)
When AJ was on the Twins, I always wished the Sox could get a catcher like him. I really wanted the Sox to pick him up before the 2005 season and was glad when they did. When some people were saying they wanted no part of AJ, I said that if the Sox signed him he would be the best catcher they had in a long time. I grudgingly respected him when he was on the Twins and loved him being on the Sox. I still wish him all the best and I hope he returns to the White Sox organization in some capacity some day.

I remember a handful of us being pissed the night the Sox tendered Ben Davis, as we thought it meant they wouldn't go after AJP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
Evidently you calling people names isn't a cheap shot, but people saying they could understand how an ex-teammate could want to hit AJ is.

Who did I call names? I did reference the "meathead" term the original poster used in his question in the original post if that's what you mean, but I didn't call anyone in particular any names. And I never said people understanding how an ex-teammate could want to hit AJ was a cheap shot. I do take issue with people who seem gleeful that AJ got hit with a pitch and an example of a cheap shot would be suggesting AJ starts brawls and then runs away.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
Hawk always defends AJ as he has been friends with the family since AJ was in high school.

AJ was disliked by almost everyone. Hate is too strong of a word. They tolerated a good baseball player but didn't like him.

Please, no more Doctor Phillips in Orlando/Johnny Damon mentions, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

The best thing about this thread is that you guys are basically arguing with nobody. It's like a case study classic intrawebz arguments. Nobody has said AJP wasn't a hard playing, smart, durable ball player. I just didn't like the guy because he's a bat flipping, pop upping, temper tantrum throwing, s*** talking, cheap shot giving, Affliction shirt wearing, vodka shot drinking, WWF watching, douche who throws like a girl. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate him. Though putting him in the same paragraph as Fisk and MB is kind if insulting, but I get it.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
The best thing about this thread is that you guys are basically arguing with nobody. It's like a case study classic intrawebz arguments. Nobody has said AJP wasn't a hard playing, smart, durable ball player. I just didn't like the guy because he's a bat flipping, pop upping, temper tantrum throwing, s*** talking, cheap shot giving, Affliction shirt wearing, vodka shot drinking, WWF watching, douche who throws like a girl. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate him. Though putting him in the same paragraph as Fisk and MB is kind if insulting, but I get it.

and there were those of us who loved that he would step on Aaron Boone rounding third, or would give Joe Borchard $100 for homering off Brett Tomko, or would steal first base in the ALCS or get into a fight with Michael Barrett. At the time, we ALL loved voting for AJP (or should I say punching). I love that s***. That's baseball man. Baseball has always been full of douchebags and bad guys, and those are some of the guys that make the game fun. I don't want a team full of players with the personality of Paul Konerko. That'd be boring as s***. It's nice to see some fire and passion and it's awesome to have a player who unequivocally wants to win at all costs.

you don't have to like it, but AJP is a fixture in white sox lore forever, and absolutely belongs in the same paragraph as Fisk, Buehrle and Konerko. Was he as good as all them? maybe not. but he was an integral part of the team that won the world series, and no other player in baseball would have stolen first base. I know I'm belaboring that point, but without him we have a much, MUCH harder time winning that ALCS, and I also give him a lot of credit in the White Sox having the most quality starts in baseball over the years he was with us. Or is that just coincidence?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
and there were those of us who loved that he would step on Aaron Boone rounding third, or would give Joe Borchard $100 for homering off Brett Tomko, or would steal first base in the ALCS or get into a fight with Michael Barrett. At the time, we ALL loved voting for AJP (or should I say punching). I love that s***. That's baseball man. Baseball has always been full of douchebags and bad guys, and those are some of the guys that make the game fun. I don't want a team full of players with the personality of Paul Konerko. That'd be boring as s***. It's nice to see some fire and passion and it's awesome to have a player who unequivocally wants to win at all costs.

you don't have to like it, but AJP is a fixture in white sox lore forever, and absolutely belongs in the same paragraph as Fisk, Buehrle and Konerko. Was he as good as all them? maybe not. but he was an integral part of the team that won the world series, and no other player in baseball would have stolen first base. I know I'm belaboring that point, but without him we have a much, MUCH harder time winning that ALCS, and I also give him a lot of credit in the White Sox having the most quality starts in baseball over the years he was with us. Or is that just coincidence?

Another great post.

The post you quoted was basically "I admit he was a very good baseball player but I choose to dislike him for several non-baseball reasons including his fashion sense & affinity for the World Wildlife Fund." Great. But then your post happened and I was just like...

damn-o.gif

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
Yet you are commenting that he was definitely hit on purpose and said he wasn't re-signed because everyone hates him. How many times did he re-sign with the White Sox?

I don't know if he was trying to hit him on purpose or not. I do know AJ stuck his pad right into the pitch. Everybody wins.

This notion that no one can stand AJ is legendary. However, you would think a beat writer or someone, considering EVERYONE HATES AJ would come up with a laundry list of the hatred.

Why ruin this thread with common sense. A young pitcher hits a former teammate. Imagine that?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)

Thank you for that post. AJ forever!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2013 -> 02:21 AM)
I hope when AJ comes to play in the Cell he gets a standing O.

He should and he will...for his first at bat. Then he's just that jerk who plays for the Rangers. I don't think you'll ever hear Sox fans boo him like the piss poor fans in Cleveland did to Thome, or like the Twins' fans do to AJ now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 3, 2013 -> 02:21 AM)
I hope when AJ comes to play in the Cell he gets a standing O.

I'm sure he will. Even the people who were amused by the HBP will stand up too. Why wouldn't you? He was OUR asshole for so long.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
One example of this board not being fair to AJ was when those PED rumors popped up last year. Many here wanted them to be true. Said they had to be true. These same people wanted AJ replaced by Flowers, a guy who actually was suspended for PEDs.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86905

I will let you find the people who wanted those rumors to be true. I read about 75 posts and all I generally saw was "this would suck but this would also make sense, thankfully Flowers looks like he can 'handle' [sic] it." I think I saw two people say they were either "happy" about it or they believed his PED rumors to be true.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
Those same people also said that we wouldnt miss AJ because of the defensive juggernaut that is Flowers. Plus magic was supposed to kick in and he would stop striking out.

And to you the same. If you are going to be bold enough to put words in people's mouths, then find the proof. Nobody that I know has ever said that Flowers would be a "defensive juggernaut" or anything along those lines. They've felt that Flowers is good defensively and that he'll be effective offensively. I've seen people suggest that Flowers will be better than Pierzynski this year - I've been among those.

---

This kind of s***, more than anything else on the wide world of the internet, infuriates me the most. If you are going to say people said something, find the proof before you stick your foot in your mouth.

Edited by witesoxfan

As far as played on the Sox "hating" AJP, its simply not the case. He didnt have the close circle like early on with Crede and A-row but he was well respected by teammates especially Flowers who he helped mentor. One ball got loose and this board turned into a s*** show.