The Sox/Twins Non-Sweep Aspirational Thread

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
Had no idea that the Sox were even playing this afternoon.

It's pretty sad when I would rather watch NBA games or the NHL when I really don't care much about either sport, but still prefer the drama/excitement of any sport played well compared to what has become of this White Sox season.

Wait, you prefer watching the NBA or NHL Finals instead of June baseball game? :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Wait, you prefer watching the NBA or NHL Finals instead of June baseball game? :)

In all honesty, I haven't watched a full NBA basketball game from start to finish since Jordan retired.

I enjoy hockey in person, but not so much on t.v. (the same way I feel about soccer/futbol).

It's college basketball, MLB, NFL and college football, golf (the one sport I hate to play), tennis...anything that's not car racing or wrestling/mma.

See Alexei Ramirez made another huge error and Danks still is struggling. That's nothing new.

Hopeful of seeing Appel pitch here in the Quad Cities if he gets summoned before the middle of July...they already have Correia at SS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
So you think they go with Flowers/Phegley the last few months? That would make sense, as I agree it would be nice to have some type of idea whether or not Phegley is overmatched at this level.

Absolutely. You can put Gimenez out to pasture. He's been a good backup catcher, but more than anybody else on the team, his roster spot is virtually meaningless. Nobody is going to cry if and when someone claims Hector Gimenez off waivers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
Had no idea that the Sox were even playing this afternoon.

It's pretty sad when I would rather watch NBA games or the NHL when I really don't care much about either sport, but still prefer the drama/excitement of any sport played well compared to what has become of this White Sox season.

I wouldn't say it's sad you'd want to watch the Hawks try to earn another parade and/or watch Game 7 tonight as LeBron either gets praised universally or buried.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
So you think they go with Flowers/Phegley the last few months? That would make sense, as I agree it would be nice to have some type of idea whether or not Phegley is overmatched at this level.

At least if it were me, the only things that would keep Phegley from getting a shot would be: Flowers going on a tear, Phegley getting hurt. I want to see what he looks like against big league pitching and in handling a rotation before I give him the job based on AAA numbers, and the last thing I'd want is to commit $60 million to McCann if I have a guy in my own system who can do 75% of the job.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I wouldn't say it's sad you'd want to watch the Hawks try to earn another parade and/or watch Game 7 tonight as LeBron either gets praised universally or buried.

I really don't like hockey that much, but I know there are millions of huge Blackhawks fans.

Well, I at least enjoy the thrill/drama/excitement of any sport played at its highest level. And it's hard not to root against LeBron or Tiger Woods, lol. (I say that having been a huge Tiger fan before that Thanksgiving night and all the ensuing allegations/gossip/rumors/innuendos).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
Absolutely. You can put Gimenez out to pasture. He's been a good backup catcher, but more than anybody else on the team, his roster spot is virtually meaningless. Nobody is going to cry if and when someone claims Hector Gimenez off waivers.

If he keeps up a .700-ish OPS someone might give up a very low talent player for him in a trade. We've been in a position of needing a backup C before and there's always a team or two who needs one of those.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
At least if it were me, the only things that would keep Phegley from getting a shot would be: Flowers going on a tear, Phegley getting hurt. I want to see what he looks like against big league pitching and in handling a rotation before I give him the job based on AAA numbers, and the last thing I'd want is to commit $60 million to McCann if I have a guy in my own system who can do 75% of the job.

But isn't bringing up Phegley basically sending the signal to Flowers that it's the last step before they give up on him?

It's why they never brought up Flowers when he looked like a really clear challenger to AJ...you pretty much have to give up on Flowers (or send him back down to AAA), and give Phegley the everyday job for 6-8 weeks.

If they're sharing time, you can't really make a determination on either player for 2014.

Because you're always going to say if he merely hits in the best possible match-ups/situations (like Viciedo in 2010), is he an everyday catcher or just a back-up/platoon guy?

Plus they're both RH hitters.

Can we actually compete with 75% of a catcher, 75% of a CFer (DeAza), 75% of a SS (Ramirez) and god knows what coming from Beckham? You have to fix the core of your team (up the middle) first, then build outwards from there. At least that's the traditional way of looking at it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
But isn't bringing up Phegley basically sending the signal to Flowers that it's the last step before they give up on him?

It's why they never brought up Flowers when he looked like a really clear challenger to AJ...you pretty much have to give up on Flowers (or send him back down to AAA), and give Phegley the everyday job for 6-8 weeks.

If they're sharing time, you can't really make a determination on either player for 2014.

Because you're always going to say if he merely hits in the best possible match-ups/situations (like Viciedo in 2010), is he an everyday catcher or just a back-up/platoon guy?

Plus they're both RH hitters.

Frankly, yes, bringing up Phegley is the sign that Flowers's time as the starting catcher has run out.

I thought that by being patient, working for it, and putting up good minor league numbers, Flowers earned at least a good fraction of the season to see what he could do. He got that shot and he hasn't shown much so far. He's got about 6 weeks left on the clock I'd give him.

I don't care if they're both RH hitters after the trade deadline. This team's folded. Who cares if we don't have a LH catcher on the roster?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Frankly, yes, bringing up Phegley is the sign that Flowers's time as the starting catcher has run out.

I thought that by being patient, working for it, and putting up good minor league numbers, Flowers earned at least a good fraction of the season to see what he could do. He got that shot and he hasn't shown much so far. He's got about 6 weeks left on the clock I'd give him.

I don't care if they're both RH hitters after the trade deadline. This team's folded. Who cares if we don't have a LH catcher on the roster?

What I mean is....why not just play Phegley everyday for 6-8 weeks to shake things up?

If Flowers is too "psychologically weak" to take the demotion and pouts or goes into a shell or "feels he was robbed" of his opportunity, then good riddance.

If Phegley falls flat on his face, you can still give Flowers his official final shot in August and September, although playing in those conditions with zero pressure (see Fields in 2007) might not be the best way to judge him for 2014.

35,837 in attendance today for the Twins, already past the 1,000,000 mark.

OR, they simply acquire another catcher with one of their trade deadline moves....there's that option.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)

Blyevan addressed that during one of the twins broadcasts.Said Twins always give their minor leaguers a shot at the majors.Otherwise,he said they lose heart and become stale.He also said you have to cut loose your veterans to keep the talent train going.

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Blyevan addressed that during one of the twins broadcasts.Said Twins always give their minor leaguers a shot at the majors.Otherwise,he said they lose heart and become stale.He also said you have to cut loose your veterans to keep the talent train going.

Except the Mauer/Morneau contracts essentially forced them to part with Nathan, Cuddyer, Kubel and Hunter (well, less so than the first three guys).

It's one thing when you're parting with a DeAza level of player, but those four guys were their core veterans, and still relatively close to their primes.

Then you add in the Delmon Young fiasco, JJ Hardy (who's gone on to be very solid for Balt), they've just made a string of bad moves.

And if you want to dump Span and Revere, you better have someone behind them who's ready...it was clear they pushed Hicks to the majors at least 3-4 months too early. Jumped the gun on that one.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
10 back on June 20. Love it.

It has saved you a lot of wasted time making numerical predictions/projections, haha.

Just joking.

But that's at least 2-3 "classic works of literature" you can now fit into your leisure time, right?

Another poor performance from Danks. But, I don't think we wll see consistency from him as a solid starter until either late in this season or even next year. It takes awhile to come back strong from shoulder surgery. One a good note though for today Konerko and Dunn homered. Good to see that. I am looking forward to a Sox comeback

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Another poor performance from Danks. But, I don't think we wll see consistency from him as a solid starter until either late in this season or even next year. It takes awhile to come back strong from shoulder surgery. One a good note though for today Konerko and Dunn homered. Good to see that. I am looking forward to a Sox comeback

For this season, what do you consider a "Sox comeback"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
I think when stuff starts going down around the trade deadline, C will probably be one of the positions they make a move at. If it were me in that chair I'd want Phegley to get a look at big league pitching with more than an occasional at bat before next year, to help decide whether to give him the position or spend money there.

Especially since McCann's availab.e.

I can't disagree with your reasoning but I don't expect the Sox to spend money on the bigger name free agents