NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Brian Windhorst reporting that the Bulls will not trade Deng this season and have high hopes that they will re-sign him next summer.

That sound you just heard was every bulls fan throwing up at the same time, except Waygodai, and RZZZA

Hooole up, playa just cuz I refuse to partake in the ongoing Tanker orgy & happen to like Deng as a 3rd option at 10-12 mill or whatever he’s currently making.

doesn’t mean I would mind one bit Bulls let him go or traded Deng for a big-upside prospect -- and this is where, again, it’s important for Bulls scouts & coaches to have credibility, because if Bulls are in the lottery in this pathetic East, it will have meant the organization is fundamentally F’d because those responsible for talent-evaluation & development, are utterly incompetent.

Double-yay for 5 percent chance at Wiggins or Jabari, though!

No worries broham, I wouldn’t give too much credence to these reports, anyway. I have a feeling they are just saying this to keep several parties calm with the status-quo, or perhaps to send message to prospective trade partners that the price for Deng wouldn’t be as low as they would hope, that he is a valued part of Bulls future plans. While telling the casual $$$-paying Bulls fans that they are not tanking the season, afterall. Who knows what the exact motivation is.

So much can change between now and next summer, as Bulls unfortunately experienced in last 2 years. Deng may want too much $$$. Deng’s Achilles may scare Reinsdorf off; Butler and Snell with increased playing time, may take that next step up and make Deng expendable. Or Luol may revert back to his old tunnel-vision self and start ball-handling & chucking too much, thereby pissing off Thibs and the FO, which, in turn, would start a media war with Deng’s camp…. cue ugly divorce.

And if everyone keeps going down with injuries, and Bulls top draft pick next year despite Thibs best efforts to win..... that'd be OK, too. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to :P :D

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Waygodai @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
Hooole up, playa just cuz I refuse to partake in the ongoing Tanker orgy & happen to like Deng as a 3rd option at 10-12 mill or whatever he’s currently making.

doesn’t mean I would mind one bit Bulls let him go or traded Deng for a big-upside prospect -- and this is where, again, it’s important for Bulls scouts & coaches to have credibility, because if Bulls are in the lottery in this pathetic East, it will have meant the organization is fundamentally F’d because those responsible for talent-evaluation & development, are utterly incompetent.

No worries broham, I wouldn’t give too much credence to these reports, anyway. I have a feeling they are just saying this to keep several parties calm with the status-quo, or perhaps to send message to prospective trade partners that the price for Deng wouldn’t be as low as they would hope, that he is a valued part of Bulls future plans. While telling the casual $$$-paying Bulls fans that they are not tanking the season, afterall. Who knows what the exact motivation is.

So much can change between now and next summer, as Bulls unfortunately experienced in last 2 years. Deng may want too much $$$. Deng’s Achilles may scare Reinsdorf off; Butler and Snell with increased playing time, may take that next step up and make Deng expendable. Or Luol may revert back to his old tunnel-vision self and start ball-handling & chucking too much, thereby pissing off Thibs and the FO, which, in turn, would start a media war with Deng’s camp…. cue ugly divorce.

And if everyone keeps going down with injuries, and Bulls top draft pick next year despite Thibs best efforts to win..... that'd be OK, too. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to :P :D

Triple Yay for playoffs in the UC this year broham! Amirite?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
what about if the bulls sign deng before the picks? then sign the picks and get in the luxury tax(I know wishful thinking, but hypothetically speaking) but there's gotta be a way to bring in the new guys while keeping deng.

Disclaimer: Only interested in bringing in Deng at a discount.

The draft happens before free agency can start. Once the draft happens, there will be a "cap hold" reflected in the amount of money the team could offer associated with the slotted amount for whatever draft pick the Bulls get.

There's no trick around this. The Bulls can't re-up with Deng and bring Mirotic over unless they clear space elsewhere (beyond just removing Boozer) or Mirotic can be brought over for the MLE.

QUOTE (Waygodai @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)

Deng is making $14M and likely wants a raise to around $15-16M if they really are $5-6M apart. Which would be an idiotic amount to pay Luol Deng.

Last time he was overpaid, sucked at the beginning of the contract, turned it around, and now in his contract year is having his best season because he wants to get overpaid again.

It's not just Wiggins and Parker either, it's Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Exum, and Smart followed by LaVine, Gordon, Vonleh, Harris, and Hood. This draft is simultaneously top heavy AND deep. Those first six all have the ability to be franchise players, the next ones could be All-Stars. Then you have a bunch of guys who could be good role players.

I think my dream scenario is getting ahead of Utah in the top 3 and taking Parker. Then packaging the Bobcats pick and a pick received from trading Deng to move up and take LaVine. Take a backup center with our 2nd rounder.

Rose/Augustin

Snell/LaVine

Parker/Butler

Mirotic/Taj

Noah/2nd Rounder

Have LaVine in the 6th man sparkplug role while Jimmy and Taj make the bench mob formidable defensively.

The standard for good GM'ing in the NBA is VERY low. I'd think twice before declaring our FO horrible. Maybe not ideal, though it sounds like the ideal FO is either the Miami one or whichever one is in last place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
The draft happens before free agency can start. Once the draft happens, there will be a "cap hold" reflected in the amount of money the team could offer associated with the slotted amount for whatever draft pick the Bulls get.

There's no trick around this. The Bulls can't re-up with Deng and bring Mirotic over unless they clear space elsewhere (beyond just removing Boozer) or Mirotic can be brought over for the MLE.

The general assumption is that they'll use the MLE on him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
Triple Yay for playoffs in the UC this year broham! Amirite?

No, no, no perish the thought Kyle --- having fun at a sports event??? That's unpossible! Fun, competition, sudden surges in endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, chatting up a random hottie.... are the most diabolical inventions since the beach balls and the Wave.

Im totes for the tank now, my man. Just wait til we get Wiggins AND Randle AND Exum next year, plus Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler? Suh-weet! Think of the wicked starting line-up we could field on xbox by 2062, at latest... sick! No way Bron-Bron, Chuckles or Big Aristotle couldn ignore the Bulls on Twitter then!

Not like Bron-Bron or Brian Westbrook could awkwardly step on someone's foot tomorrow or whatever and suddenly the field is wide-open again, either...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Most people have seemingly suggested that wouldn't be enough to buy out his current deal, am I wrong on that?

You're combining two issues that aren't necessarily related.

By league rules, the Bulls can only contribute 550k towards the buyout. This money does not count against the salary cap.

If there's an excessive buyout, Mirotic and/or his agent would have to come up with the difference. If Nikola feels that he needs an NBA salary higher than the MLE, that's the only way it would affect the amount of space needed.

I'm not really familiar with his contract buyout or any demands that have been thrown around, so I can't really comment on that. If I recall correctly, he's making around $3 million a year, so while he's not broke (at least in theory), the MLE would still represent a solid raise.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
The standard for good GM'ing in the NBA is VERY low. I'd think twice before declaring our FO horrible. Maybe not ideal, though it sounds like the ideal FO is either the Miami one or whichever one is in last place.

I dunno, I like John Paxson. I like Thibs. Even impartial to 'World's Last Unsuccessful Facial Transplant' (Gar Foreman).

Hell, even as a dumb, authority-averse kid I remember for some reason naturally gravitating to a disciplinarian like Scott Skiles. Go figure

Certainly prefer them to an empty-suit jag like Jason Kidd or an Empty-Haircut phony like Vinny Del Nergo (let alone trash like Steve Alford sp?)

QUOTE (Waygodai @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
No, no, no perish the thought Kyle --- having fun at a sports event??? That's unpossible! Fun, competition, sudden surges in endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, chatting up a random hottie.... are the most diabolical inventions since the beach balls and the Wave.

Im totes for the tank now, my man. Just wait til we get Wiggins AND Randle AND Exum next year, plus Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler? Suh-weet! Think of the wicked starting line-up we could field on xbox by 2062, at latest... sick! No way Bron-Bron, Chuckles or Big Aristotle couldn ignore the Bulls on Twitter then!

Not like Bron-Bron or Brian Westbrook could awkwardly step on someone's foot tomorrow or whatever and suddenly the field is wide-open again, either...

Solid argument broseph. Let's go ahead and get the 8th seed stomping this June so we can extend NBA draft hell and hope Lebron breaks his ankle.

But hey, it will be fun watching the Heat or Pacers steam roll this bunch of bench players. Totes.

And just so you are clear on my stance, I am not enjoying this season, I do not like te Bulls losing and I hate watching them lose, but this core/team has hit its expiration date and changes are needed.

I guess the question is how many draft spots are at stake here. Some people think we can somehow become a top 3 worst team/beat the odds in the lottery. Others see the difference between our ceiling and our floor to be about 4-5 positions, with the top position or two being the playoffs. Why not sacrifice a couple draft spots for some playoff fun, especially when you give young guys like Jimmy and Snell some precious developmental time? Well, it all depends on whether you think you're just trading a couple of spots down to do it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
I guess the question is how many draft spots are at stake here. Some people think we can somehow become a top 3 worst team/beat the odds in the lottery. Others see the difference between our ceiling and our floor to be about 4-5 positions, with the top position or two being the playoffs. Why not sacrifice a couple draft spots for some playoff fun, especially when you give young guys like Jimmy and Snell some precious developmental time? Well, it all depends on whether you think you're just trading a couple of spots down to do it.

Are you watching the same games I am? This team is totally free falling

Hard to make sense of the recent run. A bunch of losses on the West Coast. Beat the Heat. Drop some "easy" home games. Beat Milwaukee in Milwaukee despite losing to them at home. Drop winnable games against Toronto and Orlando. Lose two away games against two of the best in the west.

Meanwhile, you've had 4 starting point guards, 5 starting wing players, and...well....let's look at it this way. Every player on the active roster has started a game except Erik Murphy. Carlos Boozer has been your healthiest player and the only one to play in every game -- Joakim Noah has been your second healthiest player, missing just one game. We've struggled to put an NBA-caliber player at the PG position, which has all kinds of rippling effects.

Lots of reasons that, maybe, the team is better than the one that has looked like s*** recently. Of course, there are reasons that there could be more of the same ahead of us. Hence the disagreement.