NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:34 AM)
I see with Van Gundy deal the NBA is starting to pay huge bucks to coaches again. 7 mill a year. Hmmm.

Hey I have a question. There's talk in this college town that Bill Self will inevitably leave for the NBA, likely to coach the Thunder or Spurs. From afar, do you think a.) any team would love to have Self for 6-7 mill a year (he makes 5 here) and b.) do you think he's a good NBA coaching prospect. Or c.) do you think he's just another blah coach who won one national title and will fail in the NBA? Just wondering what you all think of Bill Self and NBA. For instance if the Bulls hired him if Thibs left would you be happy or furious?

I think the Spurs are happy with their coach.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)
For instance if the Bulls hired him if Thibs left would you be happy or furious?

There is literally no name anywhere that will produce a response other than "furious". Fine, maybe Popovich, but no plausible name.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:34 AM)
I see with Van Gundy deal the NBA is starting to pay huge bucks to coaches again. 7 mill a year. Hmmm.

Hey I have a question. There's talk in this college town that Bill Self will inevitably leave for the NBA, likely to coach the Thunder or Spurs. From afar, do you think a.) any team would love to have Self for 6-7 mill a year (he makes 5 here) and b.) do you think he's a good NBA coaching prospect. Or c.) do you think he's just another blah coach who won one national title and will fail in the NBA? Just wondering what you all think of Bill Self and NBA. For instance if the Bulls hired him if Thibs left would you be happy or furious?

Who?

Sorry I don't follow scrub basketball...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
There is literally no name anywhere that will produce a response other than "furious". Fine, maybe Popovich, but no plausible name.

If the Bulls come to the conclusion that Thibodeau will never win a title because he beats his players into the ground or Thibs decides to go somewhere else and they can hire Fred Hoiberg, I'd be ok with it. I love Thibodeau but in the NBA players matter so much more.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
If the Bulls come to the conclusion that Thibodeau will never win a title because he beats his players into the ground or Thibs decides to go somewhere else and they can hire Fred Hoiberg, I'd be ok with it. I love Thibodeau but in the NBA players matter so much more.

We are watching the Thunder perennially underachieve with Scott Brooks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

How many other coaches would have let this bunch to anything but the lottery? Thibs is a top coach in the NBA, no doubt about it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:31 AM)
I think the Spurs are happy with their coach.

Pop has long been rumored to be retiring any year now and the long thoughts are that he will retire when Duncan retires. If the Spurs win this year, I wouldn't be surprised if both walked away.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)

Hoiberg is on my short list if the Bulls are stupid enough to get rid of Thibbs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
How many other coaches would have let this bunch to anything but the lottery? Thibs is a top coach in the NBA, no doubt about it.

There is zero doubt that he is not one of the top 5 coaches in the game and I'd probably say he's top 3, if not top 2.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
I'll take a lottery pick for Thibs. Bring it on.

You have to imagine there is an additional talent threshold that would surpass the drop off from Thibs to league average coach (and I think Hoiberg will be a great coach)

QUOTE (bmags @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
I kind of feel like this, if losing Thibs is inevitable, then I'd rather we trade him and get something.

I have no doubt if someone offers a big return for Thibs he is gone. They won't let him leave for nothing, nor should that. As bizarre at it seems, he is their biggest trade asset right now.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Lol, keep dreaming

dream big if you are gonna consider moving him. If other teams dont want to pay your price, you still have a very good coach

I'm just saying that no team would be dumb enough to give up a chance to nab a franchise player for a HC, no matter how good the coach is. If there's a team goofy enough to do it, then we should do it, it's just not gonna happen.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
dream big if you are gonna consider moving him. If other teams dont want to pay your price, you still have a very good coach

Also, keep in mind that there are very stupid owners in the NBA that want to "be in the playoffs" at all cost with disregard to the idea of waiting to get your franchise player. The idea of getting thibs will be enticing to some dumb team. It's too bad Jordan's team already is out of lottery, he'd probably give us #1 overall.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)

Absolutely. I think Thibodeau is probably the 2nd best coach in the NBA after Pop. He has flaws though. The minute loads are a big deal though. It is possible that his teams will never be healthy enough in the playoffs to win anything because of his "win all 82" mentality.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
We are watching the Thunder perennially underachieve with Scott Brooks.

We are? I get that Brooks isn't the most highly thought of coach but I certainly wouldn't say the Thunder have perennially underachieved. They lost to LeBron two years ago in the finals, Westbrook got broken last year and they're one win away from the Western conference finals this year.