Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:52 AM)
Thats if Sardinas was actually included in the deal, most reports I have seen show the rest of the package minus Sardinas. Guessing that it was leaked by the Cubs that he was included to drive up the perceived value of Garza. I would take the deal with Sardinas if they included Odor or Williams. So many guys in that deal are so far away you have to get quite a few to increase the chances one actually succeeds.

The Cubs supposedly want pitching back in a deal for Garza. Sardinas probably wasn't asked for as the Cubs have a AA SS ranked #2 of all SS's. With Profar ahead of Sardinas (and already blocked by Andrus), he would most likely be available for a Peavy deal.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I also want no part of Middlebrooks.

If we are trading with Texas the package should be built around Sardinas.

With the Red Sox my top target would be Cecchini with Vincio also included.

The Red Sox wouldn't trade Middlebrooks this deadline anyway-though I could see in the offseason in the right deal. But I'm with you. I like both Sardinas and Cecchini as headliners. Now, could the sox have the right pieces to net both? Doubtful. A Peavy trade could land one.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)

You'll probably like this about Sardinas from 2010. Don't know if this Parks guy is on crack or not. But TIFWIW.

http://www.bbtia.com/home/2010/6/10/highes...sardinas-8.html

Sardinas has done very well since this was written on him, though. With his above avg. defense, ability to hit for avg., get on base, along with some speed, definitely what the sox could use.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
I also want no part of Middlebrooks.

With the Red Sox my top target would be Cecchini with Vincio also included.

I agree to pass on Middlebrooks, and your suggestions are excellent top targets.

But I just don't see us scoring a top 50 for Peavy. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
If you don't get what you want for Jake Peavy, you bring him back. You still have the winter to deal him, if that is what you decide you want to do. If nothing else, you still have jake Peavy.

The Sox aren't often in a position where they are looking to trade one of the most in demand pitcher in a given market. The offers for him should be good enough to trade him. Strike while the iron is hot.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
The Sox aren't often in a position where they are looking to trade one of the most in demand pitcher in a given market. The offers for him should be good enough to trade him. Strike while the iron is hot.

Yeah, the market is very good right now for Peavy. I think we could get a top 50, considering at least three teams will be bidding after Garza moves.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Yeah, the market is very good right now for Peavy. I think we could get a top 50, considering at least three teams will be bidding after Garza moves.

I keep hearing the D'backs arent in the mix for Peavy but Kevin Towers drafted him and they aren't in the upper echelon of NL teams. Peavy could be a difference maker there.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)

Logically we should; he's a very good pitcher, teams need starters, etc.

I just don't think we will. And it's not us - I just don't think teams will relinquish them. I don't think the Cubs will for Garza either (unless one considers Olt a top 50 still).

But I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Logically we should; he's a very good pitcher, teams need starters, etc.

I just don't think we will. And it's not us - I just don't think teams will relinquish them. I don't think the Cubs will for Garza either (unless one considers Olt a top 50 still).

But I hope I'm wrong.

The Cubs should never have gotten a top 50 prospect for Garza. He's a free agent after this season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
The Cubs should never have gotten a top 50 prospect for Garza. He's a free agent after this season.

True.

I think Garza's been pitching above his abilities for the last 6 weeks; with each start, he could come back down to earth which might pull down his trade value. I think in his last start he gave up 10 hits, although only a run or 2, so it could happen. The Cubs seem really anxious to trade him before his next start.

But, if he keeps pitching the way he has been, he'd be a very good pitcher for a contender.

Here's two current looks at what the top prospects in the minors are. I could see some guys in the 30-60 range.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/18/4...d-season-update

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-2...p-50-prospects/

Names mentioned:

Sardinas: top 75-150 now; wasn't in top 150 for Sickels;

Fangraphs: around top 75 now;

Cecchini-45 now; wasn't in top 100 pre-season for Fangraphs;

30 by Sickels, outside of top 50 pre-season;

Davidson: now 72, was 101 for Sickels;

not in top 50 for Fangraphs;

Joc Pederson: now 31, was 114. Was called by Sickels the "Garin Cecchini of OFers" in one of his write ups.

Other names: Both Alen Hanson and Polanco are rated much higher in both. Adam Eaton was around 100 for Sickels earlier in year.

Jon Heyman pointed this out this morning on Mully & Hanley, but not only is Peavy more than rental, he would also likely bring back a compensation pick after the 2014 season. All things considered, Peavy should be the most valuable player on the market. If Hahn plays his cards right, hopefully he can land at least two legit prospects (top 100 status) and a couple A ball wild cards. That rumored Garza package should be the starting point in any Peavy discussions.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
Jon Heyman pointed this out this morning on Mully & Hanley, but not only is Peavy more than rental, he would also likely bring back a compensation pick after the 2014 season. All things considered, Peavy should be the most valuable player on the market. If Hahn plays his cards right, hopefully he can land at least two legit prospects (top 100 status) and a couple A ball wild cards. That rumored Garza package should be the starting point in any Peavy discussions.

Which is why a team like SF is supposedly not in the running for peavy, as they don't have the minimum young talent it'll take to acquire him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Which is why a team like SF is supposedly not in the running for peavy, as they don't have the minimum young talent it'll take to acquire him.

Along with the Rockies who have been reported to be on him too.

For Peavy I would focus on Rangers, DBacks, Cardinals and Red Sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Along with the Rockies who have been reported to be on him too.

For Peavy I would focus on Rangers, DBacks, Cardinals and Red Sox.

Rox have some better positional pieces than SF. Both Dahl and Story are having down years and might be attainable. We could honestly really use a guy like Kyle Parker, too.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo 5m

We hear Red Sox prefer peavy over garza but remain active in talks on both. Much will hinge on buchholz second opinion with dr Andrews

Expand

Give me Webster Cecchini Bentz Marrero and De La Cruz for Peavy and Crain.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo 5m

We hear Red Sox prefer peavy over garza but remain active in talks on both. Much will hinge on buchholz second opinion with dr Andrews

Expand

Love Swihart. Wonder if he's available in a Peavy deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I just want prospects from the Pirates, Dbacks, or Cards

Eaton, Davidson, and Owings for Peavy and Crain makes too much sense.

I don't understand all the love for Eaton. What's his upside? We already have Tekotte if we need good defense with no bat.

Owings, though. Yeah.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I'd imagine so. I'm also a fan of his.

I heard Jason Parks comment on seeing him recently -- mentioned that his defense behind the plate looked much improved. Still a small target, but he no longer questioned his ability to catch at the ML level eventually.