Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Could be more misinformation, but this article claims the BoSox interest in Peavy isn't what it seems, they are just "kicking the tires". They are more interested in Lindstrom according to this guy. Take it for what it's worth this time of July. Also if anyone could provide a little info on the prospects they mentioned on Boston's side.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/7/28/4564...ires-jake-peavy

For Lindstrom, I would take any 2 of those 3 players. Preferrably Betts and Marrero.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the Giants gameplan and they have won 2 of the 3 World Series. Unfortunately, the Sox play in a hitters park, in the AL, with Miggy Cabrera in the same division.

Move the LF fence out 40 feet and keep stockpiling lefty starting pitchers.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather keep Peavy, and to a lesser extent Rios, rather than getting rid of them just for the sake of getting rid of them. Yes, shedding salary would be nice, but I don't know where the salary savings can be spent that's going to be as worthwhile as holding out for top level talent in return for trades.

Play it down until 3pm on the 31st if necessary--I have a feeling some team out there will cave in on Peavy, and maybe Rios also. No reason to pull the trigger before the deadline unless somebody is offering the moon.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather keep Peavy, and to a lesser extent Rios, rather than getting rid of them just for the sake of getting rid of them. Yes, shedding salary would be nice, but I don't know where the salary savings can be spent that's going to be as worthwhile as holding out for top level talent in return for trades.

Play it down until 3pm on the 31st if necessary--I have a feeling some team out there will cave in on Peavy, and maybe Rios also. No reason to pull the trigger before the deadline unless somebody is offering the moon.

At least with Peavy, I really want his innings to go to the guys we can develop with those innings. Long term, this franchise benefits more if Johnson gets 5 big league starts in September than if Peavy does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
At least with Peavy, I really want his innings to go to the guys we can develop with those innings. Long term, this franchise benefits more if Johnson gets 5 big league starts in September than if Peavy does.

Agreed because it shows the organization what the Sox have in Johnson and we would most likely acquire a pitcher or 2 that could add depth to the farm.

With Rios, we don't have anybody that can come in and be affective at the major league level. Although I would love to trade Rios, trading Peavy makes the most sense out of anyone on this Sox team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 16s

Cardinals continue pursuit of Jake Peavy and Alexei Ramirez with Carlos Martinez, Joe Kelly and Kolton Wong's names being mentioned #RUMORS

Honestly, I think I would make that trade. Kelly can fit into the rotation now. I love the way Kelly pitches. Adding Martinez and Wong to the mix, and I have a slight smile on my face.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
Honestly, I think I would make that trade. Kelly can fit into the rotation now. I love the way Kelly pitches. Adding Martinez and Wong to the mix, and I have a slight smile on my face.

I would do that yesterday

2 top 50 ML ready prospects yes please

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
Cards fans seem irate at that idea

Good. That would be a good barometer for whether a trade is good or not

Soxtalk has never been pleased with a trade at first blush, I don't think. It's what fans do

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Yeah, I think I'd be pleased with that deal. The players alone don't make it an amazing deal, but there has to be something said for the cash savings too

Well Wong can be the every day 2b when he's ready. I love Kelly's potential. The way he pitches screams high upside 2-3 starter in him. And Martinez can be a front of the rotation pitcher too. I would do this.

If the Sox move Peavy and Ramirez to St. Louis, and the Sox get back Wong and other good prospects, maybe the Sox have to include a minor leaguer that's not quite ready, but potentially good...like Micah Johnson.

We'll see in 75 hours or less.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
If the Sox move Peavy and Ramirez to St. Louis, and the Sox get back Wong and other good prospects, maybe the Sox have to include a minor leaguer that's not quite ready, but potentially good...like Micah Johnson.

We'll see in 75 hours or less.

i don't think there would be a need for that. Cards would get a starter to fit in right behind Wainwright and an obvious SS upgrade all signed through next year. No chance we need to add to that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
i don't think there would be a need for that. Cards would get a starter to fit in right behind Wainwright and an obvious SS upgrade all signed through next year. No chance we need to add to that.

I hope not, but I'm giddy thinking about a team taking Alexei's contract off our hands.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Sox fans seems a lot more bullish on this trade than Cards fans. Maybe the trade would end up being two out of those three.

Then I would assume some added prospects from the Cardinals. If the Cards take out Martinez, then I could see a Blazek and Piscotty because Cards are higher on Martinez than Kelly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
We're probably giving them a lot of money in that scenario too. It's definitely not an overpay. We're improving their team dramatically

With this trade, there would be not one major weakness in that line up. Easy favorites to win the NL

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)

I don't think you're in the minority with regard to knowledgeable fans. Trading Peavy, and as you mentioned Rios, just for the sake of trading them would be counterproductive. The SOX are better off holding onto both, than moving Peavy for a meh return. Peavy to the Cards for Martinez, like the Cards poster here suggested, would be a very meh return, and I doubt Hahn would pull the trigger on that.

I have mentioned this before, but the potential trades of Peavy and Rios, and to a slightly lesser extent Ramirez or De Aza, will be extremely important to the future of the SOX. Making a move just to appease the fans calling for an immediate move would be literally idiotic.

I think the SOX are better off sending some $ along with Peavy and Rios to improve the return. With the CBA, international signings and draft spending is limited, and as we all know, the SOX will likely never be one of the major players on the FA market. Picking up some cash and improving the return may result in the best return on that cash.