2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I think that is a horrible mindset, and if you're a GM with that mindset you're never going to set your team up for long term success.

I would agree with you, but it just so happens that this class is extremely top heavy on pitching. I expect the first five players to be selected to be pitchers. It is a perfect blend of need and talent available.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
What better time to start developing you own position players than now?

I think we are starting to see improvement from the position players in the minors. To have Semien ready to play every day, and then to see some of the other kids jockeying to get up here tells me that things are getting better.

I understand your point. I agree too. I wouldn't take a HS hitter at #3 with the pitching available in this draft though.

The issue isn't that you shouldn't take a position player, its that there isn't a position player in the draft that warrants being selected in the top 3 picks. You always pick the best player that you can sign. Trying to fill major league holes with the draft is a path to disappointment. Once Beck or Danish are ready, RH can move Danks or Johnson to fill offensive holes on the ML roster. People get stuck on Jackson because of his position, but he will not be a C in the majors, and probably never in the minors either. There are several position player prospects that are going to be appealing to the Sox in round 2, but again, I think they will take a guy that slips from the first round with that pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
I feel the exact opposite. Hoffman or Kolek is who I'd take.

I am feeling more and more like the Astros take the local kid Kolek at #1. The Marlins are kind of a wildcard cause I think they could any of Rodon, Aiken, or Hoffman. It will be really interesting to see where the Sox go if Kolek and Hoffman are off the board at 1 and 2. They seem to be out on Rodon, Beede seems to be a #2/3 at his ceiling, and Aiken is a high school pitcher, so drafting him may make Hawks head explode.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Not a big fan of Beede and everyday I think it's more and more likely we end up with him. Hopefully Hoffman makes it to #3 and the FO prefers him to Beede which I think they do.

I'm glad Hoffman is righting the ship performance-wise, and given the org's long term interest, I think he'll be the guy, if he's available. And as a college guy, he should be ready for 2016 when we win the WS again.

I guess we should root for the HS guys to go 1-2, huh?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
Nice numbers for our 2nd round pick, Casey Gillaspie.

http://www.goshockers.com/fls/7500/stats/b...?DB_OEM_ID=7500

Love the stats, excellent walk and contact rates. BA says his bat speed very good. Frankie Piliere says plus power from both sides of the plate. Has to be a good hitter at 1B though.

I am hoping that the Sox are able to lock up Reetz and Gatewood after the first round.

Here is an update on Tyler Kolek

Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd HS (TX)

Not sure what else there is to say about Kolek at this point. He can’t rise much higher, and this might be the last time he makes the list because of that. It is, however, fun to write about how dominant he is and how abusive he is to his fellow peers. In his last start, he finished with 14 K/0 BB over five innings, allowing a hit. His last pitch registered 98 mph on the radar gun of Kendall Rogers over at Perfect Game. For the season, he now has 62 K/1 BB over 27.1 shutout innings, allowing three hits. The 6’-5”, 240 pound right-hander has entered the talks for 1.1 even though a prep right-hander has never gone first overall, showing just how special a talent he is. Committed to TCU — or the Astros.

Read more at http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014-ml...2ETAt7rjbsTs.99

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm glad Hoffman is righting the ship performance-wise, and given the org's long term interest, I think he'll be the guy, if he's available. And as a college guy, he should be ready for 2016 when we win the WS again.

I guess we should root for the HS guys to go 1-2, huh?

I'm rooting for Rodon to go #1 or #2 because I don't know what to think of him anymore. I'd love to see the Sox have to decide between Hoffman or Aiken/Kolek.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Is there any chance Jackson could be persuaded to go back to catching or he's 100% OF/DH/1B material right now?

Has anyone actually seen him play? How athletic is he, in terms of playing the outfield? Comps? Are we talking Brandon Inge?

The problem isn't his willingness to catch, it's that you don't hold back a bat like that by making him catch. Comp is closer to Wil Myers than Inge.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
The problem isn't his willingness to catch, it's that you don't hold back a bat like that by making him catch. Comp is closer to Wil Myers than Inge.

Bryce Harper is another comp that is being thrown around a lot for Jackson.