2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
Semien was a 6th rounder in 2011, you can add Chris Carter, Chris Young and Chris Getz to that list as well. Obviously we should focus on just drafting players with the first name Chris.

Yeah, that was out of high school for Semien.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
If it's between Rodon and only signing first 5 picks or a lesser prospect and being able to sign everyone...give me Rodon and top 5 picks signed in a heartbeat.

If you don't sign your picks, you lose their portion of your bonus allotment. Realistically, teams can only go so much over slot with their first pick under the new draft rules. If we draft Rodon and he wants 1-1 or 1-2 money, then he's going back to college for his senior year. That's the reality of the situation and a legitimate concern with Boras as his agent.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)
If you don't sign your picks, you lose their portion of your bonus allotment. Realistically, teams can only go so much over slot with their first pick under the new draft rules. If we draft Rodon and he wants 1-1 or 1-2 money, then he's going back to college for his senior year. That's the reality of the situation and a legitimate concern with Boras as his agent.

Curious, what is the difference between 1-1 and 1-3 money?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)

Thanks. So, from Rodon's perspective, would it be worth it to pitch an entire year more of college, risking injury/poor production, for $2.2 million? Or would he be better off taking $2.2 million less now and, super long term, reaching major league free agency one year sooner/younger?

No doubt Boras would use the "going back to school" thing for leverage, that's a given. But realistically, it doesn't seem to be worth the risk in the end. A $2.2 million bump is a drop in the bucket to what he'll make down the road.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Curious about this Hoffman soreness. Chances Theo got to Hoffman and said miss a couple of starts with "soreness" and we'll give you 1-3 money if you get past the Sox?

Something tells me the risk/reward there doesn't make much sense. That seems like the kind of thing that would get a guy thrown out of the league.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Curious about this Hoffman soreness. Chances Theo got to Hoffman and said miss a couple of starts with "soreness" and we'll give you 1-3 money if you get past the Sox?

Not a chance he is going to sacrifice going going 1-1 or 1-2 to try and get 1-3 money, while showing a team that you are willing to not be a team player to make more money for yourself. That's not even a quality you want to draft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Something tells me the risk/reward there doesn't make much sense. That seems like the kind of thing that would get a guy thrown out of the league.

There are ways to get word through intermediaries, but it certainly is on the conspiracy side for sure.

I think the Cubs/Sox rivalry has been kicked up a few notches since Theo took over and JR spearheaded the new rules for the draft and international spending that was surely directed towards the Cubs. Hoffman's soreness really throws a monkey wrench in the Sox draft plans. Do they deal with Boras, take a high school arm, or disregard the soreness and take Hoffman.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
There are ways to get word through intermediaries, but it certainly is on the conspiracy side for sure.

I think the Cubs/Sox rivalry has been kicked up a few notches since Theo took over and JR spearheaded the new rules for the draft and international spending that was surely directed towards the Cubs. Hoffman's soreness really throws a monkey wrench in the Sox draft plans. Do they deal with Boras, take a high school arm, or disregard the soreness and take Hoffman.

I think the opposite. No one seems to care any more because the Cubs have been bad for so long. Even my Cub fan friends can't stand talking baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
I think the opposite. No one seems to care any more because the Cubs have been bad for so long. Even my Cub fan friends can't stand talking baseball.

Agreed. The rivalry is at as low of a point as I can remember. At least since interleague play started.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)

From a fans point of view I agree, I think there is much more bad blood between the organizations now than there ever was when the Trib owned the Cubs. The Trib was a business partner with the Sox after all since they broadcast their games

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
From a fans point of view I agree, I think there is much more bad blood between the organizations now than there ever was when the Trib owned the Cubs. The Trib was a business partner with the Sox after all since they broadcast their games

Don't really buy that either. 8 years ago we had our manager regularly joking about hiding from the giant rats every time he went to Wrigley, and hell, the fact that the Trib owned the Cubs gave Sox fans a regular reason to complain about unfair coverage.