2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 11, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Dude, I don't know where you come up with some of these narratives. We're going to have a ton of money available next offseason, way more than this past winter when we were hard after Tanaka. To say we can't afford James Shields is ridiculous and pretending our attendance this year will have a major impact on next year's offseason is also crazy. The Sox will spend big money if they think they're close. Given how this year is going, I think it's probable we'll major players in free agency.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
I swear if Kolek is on the board and we pass for a next tier college arm, I will flip out. I dont' know what happens to Kolek but he is an extremely rare talent and we would be lucky to have a shot at drafting him (or really any of the top 3 guys to be frank).

^^^^^^^

Maybe there will be a lot of pressure locally for the Stros to take TK, leaving us with Aiken, probably. If we truly don't love TK, this may be the most hopeful scenario.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brady Aiken

Brady Aiken, LHPHeight/weight: 6-4, 205 School: Cathedral Catholic High School, San Diego, Calif

Pros: Very polished and poised. Throws fastball, curve, change for strikes. Cons: Doesn’t have overwhelming velocity or stuff. For any high school pitchers, you’re biting off a lot of risk because they are so young and have so many innings to go in their development.

Despite losing the last high school game of his career before nearly three dozen scouts Thursday night, hard-throwing Shepherd High righthander Tyler Kolek left a good impression with Hall of Fame righthander Nolan Ryan and Astros manager Bo Porter.

Kolek hit 100-mph on his fastball several times and displayed an impressive curveball in a 4-1 loss against Silsbee. Kolek is one of the players that Astros are considering for the top overall pick in next month’s draft, and he didn’t disappoint on a night Ryan drove Porter and Astros bench coach Dave Trembley more than two hours to see Kolek start at Jasper Baseball Stadium.

“It’s plus velocity,” Porter said. “And actually he did a tremendous job with his breaking ball. Obviously he’s a big kid, great arm speed. His breaking ball comes out of the same slot.”

The 6-foot-5, 250 righthander also earned positive points with a strong mound presence and maturity after his teammates committed numerous errors behind him.

“I thought he threw the ball well, and that’s really all you can go by,” Ryan said. “You can’t go by what happens in the games.”

Kolek struck out 10 and gave up four runs (one earned) on three hits over seven innings.

“A lot of times when you see things happen on the baseball field and teammates make errors and the ball gets kind of kicked around a little bit, I love his composure,” Porter said. “I love the way he continued to pick up his teammates, running over and backing up the bases amid a lot of adverse things that are going on, which tells you a lot about the kid.”

After being introduced to Ryan, James Kolek asked the Texas icon if he could stick around to visit with his sons Tyler and Stephen. Ryan obliged and stuck around for 20 minutes while being hounded by autograph seekers before Tyler was free.

“I still can’t believe I just met him,” Tyler said. “I’ll never forget this moment. To meet the guy I’ve looked up to my entire childhood, it will stick with me the rest of my life.”

The Astros have scouted every one of Kolek’s starts this year. The Marlins, who will pick second, White Sox (third), Cubs (fourth) and Phillies (seventh) also have shown plenty of interest.

Ryan, Porter and Trembley were joined at Thursday’s start by Astros regional cross-checker Ralph Bratton. The Marlins and Cubs sent their scouting directors. The national cross-checkers of the Marlins, Rockies and White Sox were in attendance along with the Twins’ regional cross-checker and nearly two dozen area scouts.

Only one of the scouting groups, however, was driven to Jasper by a 324-game winner who holds baseball’s all-time strikeout lead.

“That’s what you call a world class chauffer,” Porter said.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/...om-ryan-porter/

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/ast...yan-5448935.php

True to his word, Ryan stuck around.

As Tyler and his younger brother, Stephen, headed to the outfield with the rest of their teammates for a postgame meeting, Ryan signed autographs amid a sea of Silsbee maroon and Shepherd blue. A smaller crowd gathered around Porter for his signature.

"It's a great atmosphere," Porter said. "I think it's great for the kids, great for the families to have this type of excitement going on for your community. These are days these kids will never forget their entire life."

After about 20 minutes of signing autographs, Ryan excused himself to visit with the Kolek brothers.

"It's always tough to lose the last game you played," Ryan said.

"Yessir. Yessir," Tyler responded in a Texas twang Ryan could appreciate.

Although Tyler was born after Ryan retired, he considers Ryan his baseball hero. James also considers Ryan his favorite baseball player, so he enjoyed the meeting as much as his kids.

After chatting for nearly 20 minutes, Ryan and Porter didn't hesitate when Tyler and Stephen asked if they could pose for a picture. "Bring mama in here," Ryan said before reaching over and giving Brenda a big hug.

"I saw you over there sweating it out," Ryan told Brenda. "It's hard on mom. Let me tell you, the worst thing I had to do was to watch my kids play. It's hard because there's nothing you can do for them and you want them to do well."

Encounter with an idol

Brenda and James nodded in agreement and then said goodbye as Ryan, Porter and Trembley headed to their car.

"Well, it was just one of those things that you wish you could remember every word and have it taped somewhere so you can save it," James Kolek said. "You just don't ever, ever get an opportunity to have a legend like him come out and see him and get to talk to him for a little while.

"And he didn't just say hello. He stayed there and talked to the boys."

Brenda was still wiping the tears of joy from her eyes as Ryan waved as he drove by. Her son's high school baseball career was over, but she found comfort knowing that his baseball career isn't over. If anything, it's only just beginning.

Tyler will either continue his career at TCU next year or sign for a multimillion-dollar bonus at some point this summer. That decision is at least six weeks away, though.

On Thursday, Kolek was just happy Ryan's visit numbed the pain he felt after losing.

"My biggest memory of tonight will be Nolan, definitely," Tyler said. "He's been my idol growing up, and he showed up to my last high school baseball game."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
I can't handle this rollercoaster. I want Kolek now. KOLEK.

I agree. 24 days to go. The Sox will get a pitcher we're happy with and that could end up great or a complete bust.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 12, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
I agree. 24 days to go. The Sox will get a pitcher we're happy with and that could end up great or a complete bust.

I feel a little better than I did a month ago. I wasn't sold on the HS guys for a while, but it's clear these both are top talent you want to go out on a limb for.

I would love Aiken, hearing that someone has incredible pitching instincts is the best thing I can hear about a player. Even with Kolek, I'm a bit scared he just ends up as this really sweet closer.

Rodon, I just have no doubt about. That he came back so strong when the criticism was the loudest just seems to speak a lot about this kid and handling pressure.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I swear if Kolek is on the board and we pass for a next tier college arm, I will flip out. I dont' know what happens to Kolek but he is an extremely rare talent and we would be lucky to have a shot at drafting him (or really any of the top 3 guys to be frank).

I honestly don't care who we take of the Big Three. But I just want take one of them. All three are the top-tier pitching prospects, all with major risk (as with any pitcher). Kolek, being a HS pitcher and the stress on the arm; Kolek, being a HS pitcher; and Rodon with all the pitches he has accumulated at NC State. I'd prefer Rodon because he more tape against top-level competition, but honestly, I would be happy with any of them. I just hope Kolek isn't there at No. 3 because I don't think the Sox will take him. And that would suck.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 12, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
I honestly don't care who we take of the Big Three. But I just want take one of them. All three are the top-tier pitching prospects, all with major risk (as with any pitcher). Kolek, being a HS pitcher and the stress on the arm; Kolek, being a HS pitcher; and Rodon with all the pitches he has accumulated at NC State. I'd prefer Rodon because he more tape against top-level competition, but honestly, I would be happy with any of them. I just hope Kolek isn't there at No. 3 because I don't think the Sox will take him. And that would suck.

Of the big 3, I am the most skeptical of Kolek but, all things considered, I would still take him at no. 3 over the likes of Nola, Beede, injured guys, etc. I hope that the Sox would too. Once all the dust settles, maybe it'll turn out they were just doing due diligence and exploring all options for their draft strategy before simply taking the BPA (i.e. whoever's left of the Big 3).

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 12, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Of the big 3, I am the most skeptical of Kolek but, all things considered, I would still take him at no. 3 over the likes of Nola, Beede, injured guys, etc. I hope that the Sox would too. Once all the dust settles, maybe it'll turn out they were just doing due diligence and exploring all options for their draft strategy before simply taking the BPA (i.e. whoever's left of the Big 3).

The thing I don't like about that mentality is that if the Sox feel there is strong reason to believe that he will get hurt within 3-4 years, and the guy they draft will not and will contribute at the MLB level, who do you take? It's easy to just say that you'd take the talent, but that could easily end up with the player making 0 contribution to the MLB team either in the form of trade or production.

They should draft their #3 guy, no matter media expectations and rankings.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 12, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
The thing I don't like about that mentality is that if the Sox feel there is strong reason to believe that he will get hurt within 3-4 years, and the guy they draft will not and will contribute at the MLB level, who do you take? It's easy to just say that you'd take the talent, but that could easily end up with the player making 0 contribution to the MLB team either in the form of trade or production.

Dan Bernstein would probably advise to trade down.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 12, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)

Yeah, I get that. But injury concerns apply to most any pitching prospect. Chris Sale and Tyler Danish were thought to be risky. Erick Fedde and Jeff Hoffman didn't seem any more likely to go down to TJ than the next guy. It is a super important concern, but I don't think it applies more specifically to Kolek (who I think is clearly behind Aiken and Rodon but ahead of the lower-ceiling college guys) than others. Injury concerns considered and weighted among the risk/reward, Kolek is still a better prospect than the others. Now, if the Sox feel that another prospect grades out ahead of Kolek, by all means they should draft him.

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 12, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah, I get that. But injury concerns apply to most any pitching prospect. Chris Sale and Tyler Danish were thought to be risky. Erick Fedde and Jeff Hoffman didn't seem any more likely to go down to TJ than the next guy. It is a super important concern, but I don't think it applies more specifically to Kolek (who I think is clearly behind Aiken and Rodon but ahead of the lower-ceiling college guys) than others. Injury concerns considered and weighted among the risk/reward, Kolek is still a better prospect than the others. Now, if the Sox feel that another prospect grades out ahead of Kolek, by all means they should draft him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with this and that pitchers in general, without ever being injured, should all be considered injury risks. I don't let that deter me from taking a pitcher at 3. All I'm saying is that if they feel that Kolek is more of an injury risk then others (or if they feel he will get injured and it will hurt him long term...impossible to know exactly, but the Sox seem to have a pretty good feel on this stuff) that they should hold off on making him the pick.

I have no problem if they pick him. Primarily just trying to play devil's advocate just to say that it's not a given that they immediately take Kolek because he has good stuff.

Edited by witesoxfan

Just going to throw this out there given Nola's ascent recently, his brother is in AA with the Marlins. Some times those familial ties have an impact with selections. I doubt they take him given the composition of the draft, but it would not shock me, especially if the Marlins want to employ the same underslot strategy that has been talked about constantly with the Sox.

At this point, I think Kolek and Rodon go off the board at 1-1 and 1-2, and the Sox pick between Aiken and the field.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 12, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Just going to throw this out there given Nola's ascent recently, his brother is in AA with the Marlins. Some times those familial ties have an impact with selections. I doubt they take him given the composition of the draft, but it would not shock me, especially if the Marlins want to employ the same underslot strategy that has been talked about constantly with the Sox.

At this point, I think Kolek and Rodon go off the board at 1-1 and 1-2, and the Sox pick between Aiken and the field.

Aiken is my number 1 so I'd be perfectly fine with that. Wouldn't snivel at Kolek or Rodon either.

Edited by DirtySox

The story of Texas HS phenom Todd Van Poppel. Better than Nolan Ryan. Better than Roger Clemens. He did the Braves a favor saying he wouldn't sign. They had to draft Chipper Jones instead.

No matter how hard these HS phenoms throw, there is great danger. A lot bigger chance they are Todd Van Poppel than Dwight Gooden without the crack rock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...801/5/index.htm

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
The story of Texas HS phenom Todd Van Poppel. Better than Nolan Ryan. Better than Roger Clemens. He did the Braves a favor saying he wouldn't sign. They had to draft Chipper Jones instead.

No matter how hard these HS phenoms throw, there is great danger. A lot bigger chance they are Todd Van Poppel than Dwight Gooden without the crack rock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...801/5/index.htm

Isn't this all draft picks?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Isn't this all draft picks?

And now you can play the fun game of listing 30+ names who have had Tommy John Surgery in the last couple months and saying you should be wary of drafting any pitchers while you're at it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 13, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
Has Mederios at #51. I'd take him if Reetz is gone.

Kodi dropped from 38 in the previous list. Wonder why - could be growing fear of his mechs. plus near-total lack of competition in HI. Bunch of guys think he's a 1st round talent. Let's do it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 13, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
Braxton Davidson at both 24 and 30. That's a bold call.

They're twin brothers with the same name, obviously. One of them plays 1B as well as OF.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
And now you can play the fun game of listing 30+ names who have had Tommy John Surgery in the last couple months and saying you should be wary of drafting any pitchers while you're at it.

Read this.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/...on-taillon/#all

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/high-school/ba...alks-tommy-john

Edited by Dick Allen