Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
It definitely flies in the face of everything else they've been doing the past couple years.

You mean like spending more than almost anyone else in international signings. Theos way has always been to spend more money on prospects than anyone else. He used to over spend in the draft. Since the new rules won't allow it, he needs to outspend other teams elsewhere.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
You mean like spending more than almost anyone else in international signings. Theos way has always been to spend more money on prospects than anyone else. He used to over spend in the draft. Since the new rules won't allow it, he needs to outspend other teams elsewhere.

He was referencing the Yanks shedding payroll trying to avoid the luxury tax, I assume.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
He was referencing the Yanks shedding payroll trying to avoid the luxury tax, I assume.

OOPS. My bad. I misunderstood it. Relaxing too much on vacation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
Jesus, why not just trade for Dunn then?

While 1b appears to be a more pressing need than an OF, they already have a lot of LHB. Cano, Ichiro, Gardner, Granderson will come back. Also Hafner/Overbay. That's like 5 lefty bats. With A-Rod's return on the fritz, Tex & Jeter hurt, I would think a right-handed hitter might be needed in that lineup. Just a guess.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Lol yeah I think we all are.

No, I could really care less. I don't think this team is far off, even if the record indicates otherwise. I think you go out and get a legitimate CF next year (and move De Aza to LF), deal Viciedo off in a package for a solid, youngish 3B, and you have a fairly competitive team in those two moves.

And, even with this said, if they sell off 3-7 pieces, I think a change would be refreshing.

More than anything else, I want the season to be over

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
While 1b appears to be a more pressing need than an OF, they already have a lot of LHB. Cano, Ichiro, Gardner, Granderson will come back. Also Hafner/Overbay. That's like 5 lefty bats. With A-Rod's return on the fritz, Tex & Jeter hurt, I would think a right-handed hitter might be needed in that lineup. Just a guess.

Hafner is likely DFA'ed to make room for Soriano, he will probably be their new DH. Hafner has been horrible for them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
No, I could really care less. I don't think this team is far off, even if the record indicates otherwise. I think you go out and get a legitimate CF next year (and move De Aza to LF), deal Viciedo off in a package for a solid, youngish 3B, and you have a fairly competitive team in those two moves.

And, even with this said, if they sell off 3-7 pieces, I think a change would be refreshing.

I agree. That makes sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)

Or maybe Matt Thornton in 2006 :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)

The problem is our core is old and declining. You can't reasonably expect anyone on the wrong side of 30 to improve from their current performances, and you can probably expect them to get a bit worse (not saying it never happens, but you can't expect it to).

Plus, which legitimate CF or youngish 3B are you going to get? I think Gillaspie was about the best case scenario there without doing something like trading veterans for prospects. Anyone established isn't going to be available. Maybe Headley, but someone would outbid us. Choo can't really play defense in CF. We could go for a reclamation project maybe.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
The problem is our core is old and declining. You can't reasonably expect anyone on the wrong side of 30 to improve from their current performances, and you can probably expect them to get a bit worse (not saying it never happens, but you can't expect it to).

Plus, which legitimate CF or youngish 3B are you going to get? I think Gillaspie was about the best case scenario there without doing something like trading veterans for prospects. Anyone established isn't going to be available. Maybe Headley, but someone would outbid us. Choo can't really play defense in CF. We could go for a reclamation project maybe.

I've heard Grady Sizemore is available :)

I don't know, being completely honest. Some veterans will be dealt off, because they're obvious guys to trade - Crain and Lindstrom being the two remaining ones. Peavy, Rios, and Ramirez very well could go, but I don't necessarily think they will. Along the same lines, to start 2008, the Sox had Alexei Ramirez and Jerry Owens splitting time in CF, Nick Swisher in LF, Juan Uribe at 2B, and Joe Crede at 3B. They ended with Griffey in CF (wtf), DeWayne Wise and Nick Swisher splitting time in LF, Juan Uribe at 3B, Alexei Ramirez at 2B, Jerry Owens gone from the organization, and some dude named Quentin who managed to hit 36 homers between April and September 6th or so.

Guys become available, and GMs get aggressive, and sometimes overly aggressive. Guys do bounce back, even when they're older, but it's just not typical.

I'd put it at 90% that 3 or more guys get dealt from this point forward, and probably 66.7% that 5 or more get dealt. I think you'll see the Sox do a lot of selling off, I'm just leaving open the possibility that they certainly may not.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Hafner is likely DFA'ed to make room for Soriano, he will probably be their new DH. Hafner has been horrible for them.

You are right, I hadn't really looked at Hafner's stats since his hot April.

April: 1.104 OPS

May: .584 OPS

June: .578 OPS

July: .470 OPS

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
With Grilli out for the season, does a trade with the Pirates make more sense tha ever, given that we can package a reliever along with Rios and fill two holes for them?

Is he for sure out for the season?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
With Grilli out for the season, does a trade with the Pirates make more sense tha ever, given that we can package a reliever along with Rios and fill two holes for them?

We can have them and the Red Sox bid against each other for a package of Rios and Reed. Boston is looking to replace Nava in the OF.