Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

I know we all thought they were going to roll with Erik Johnson after Peavy was dealt, but I think that's a 2014 thing. And I do think you're right in that they are going to try and trade a starter. You don't deal Sale. So, you either deal one of Quintana or Santiago, you essentially give away Danks or trade him for another bad contract, or you package Rienzo in a deal. Personally, I feel that dealing Danks for another bad contract is a better option, but ultimately it's going to be what the offers are.

The names that come immediately to mind are LA boys Ethier and Hamilton (and in Hamilton's case, the Angels picking up quite a bit of the difference). It really could be anyone though, specifically with a preference towards the left side. Frankly, if the Cubs have soured on him, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox inquire about Starlin Castro either, though I don't see the Cubs moving him without a substantial offer, which is something the Sox wouldn't be inclined to do.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Why would anyone trade Q or Santiago? No no no. You better be getting an all star, young position player in return. Also, you're not, so there goes that.

I'm on this bandwagon.

You build your future around Sale, The Serpent and Santiago.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Why would anyone trade Q or Santiago? No no no. You better be getting an all star, young position player in return. Also, you're not, so there goes that.

I think he means that it would be a need-based swap, a la Pineda/Montero deal, but with more established players obviously.

I actually think Quintana is an extension candidate.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
I'm on this bandwagon.

You build your future around Sale, The Serpent and Santiago.

The pitching staff is a waste without an offense. Free agency isn't going to be giving you any offense, and neither is your farm system any time soon. Trades are the only way to go.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
I think he means that it would be a need-based swap, a la Pineda/Montero deal, but with more established players obviously.

I actually think Quintana is an extension candidate.

It's amazing that right when we lose Buehrle to FA, Quintana steps in and basically clones himself (from the blood of his penis, obviously) as the second coming of Mark. I think Q is a piece to build around as well.

Code Red, I'm not sold on quite yet, but promising.

Sale, I would move.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
It's amazing that right when we lose Buehrle to FA, Quintana steps in and basically clones himself (from the blood of his penis, obviously) as the second coming of Mark. I think Q is a piece to build around as well.

Santana, I'm not sold on quite yet, but promising.

Sale, I would move.

But he is very Smooth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
The pitching staff is a waste without an offense. Free agency isn't going to be giving you any offense, and neither is your farm system any time soon. Trades are the only way to go.

Our pitching staff is likely terrible if you remove one of Q or Santiago.

Sale, I would move.

1) "Blood of his penis" has to confuse people who weren't around for that joke.

2) Santiago?

3) I would not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Now that makes WAY more sense to me.

I also feel like the White Sox feel they could make a move involving a starting pitcher for some real offensive players in the off-season. I think the Sox will work really hard to try to find a middle of the order 3B or SS for one of their starting P's.

If they can get a guy or two to plug into the line up, the may feel they can compete at some level next year, especially if some of the younger players can show signs of life going into next year. If Beckham continues to hit, Phegley gets past the growing pains, Garcia seems like a real starter, and Viciedo keeps hitting like he has the last month, the offense has a whole lot better chance of pushing this team forward. We have a great potential rotation, and guys knocking on the door for the bullpen, plus the obligatory reclamation projects for pitching. This is a 90 win pitching staff. They just need to find an 80 offense and defense to go with it.

Yahoo Sports has a good article on Viciedo. Tone of the article suggests Viciedo will not be back next year. Article says Manto, Baines and Ventura have basically given up trying to install some disciple to his swing. His jammed thumb from last night might open the door for Garcia soon. Wouldn't be surprised if Viciedo goes on the DL.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
Our pitching staff is likely terrible if you remove one of Q or Santiago.

I think Johnson will step in just fine. Plus you will have another year of experience for whatever starts stay, including another for Chris Sale, and John Danks will be another year away from surgery. What would really be ideal is for Danks to recover more of his velocity by the end of this year and turn himself into a trade candidate.

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Yahoo Sports has a good article on Viciedo. Tone of the article suggests Viciedo will not be back next year. Article says Manto, Baines and Ventura have basically given up trying to install some disciple to his swing. His jammed thumb from last night might open the door for Garcia soon. Wouldn't be surprised if Viciedo goes on the DL.

I would be shocked if he is not back next year. I would love if we found a long-term upgrade for him, but if not no reason to not just let him play.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
I would be shocked if he is not back next year. I would love if we found a long-term upgrade for him, but if not no reason to not just let him play.

Odds are that Rios is gone and Garcia takes his spot. After that, who are you going to replace Viciedo with? Any other potential guys in our system are still at least a year away, IF they do progress.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Odds are that Rios is gone and Garcia takes his spot. After that, who are you going to replace Viciedo with? Any other potential guys in our system are still at least a year away, IF they do progress.

He's also cheap to suck, which is an upgrade over our 'expensive to suck' players.

Sale, I would move.

I would only move Sale for 2 young, MLB all-stars (or close to that level) + 'spects. He's a 24 year old Ace with a good contract and hasn't been injured yet. He's already been worth 5 WAR this year, that's crazy for a 24 yr old.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
I would only move Sale for 2 young, MLB all-stars (or close to that level) + 'spects. He's a 24 year old Ace with a good contract and hasn't been injured yet. He's already been worth 5 WAR this year, that's crazy for a 24 yr old.

And for a guy who is going to be dirt cheap and cost controlled for a really long time in baseball terms.

I think you can safely move one of Quintana or Santiago for a young hitter. You just deal with Danks as your 3 man and let Rienzo/Johnson/Molina/Castro/Axelrod fight for the other spots. If I had my choice, I'd move Santiago and try to sign Quintana.

Whoever said 2014 is a transitional year hit it on the head. You know you're not likely going to win but you're using it to shuffle stuff around to contend again soon. It's just a punt, not a rebuild.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)

I know I have mentioned this a few times, and I don't mean to harp on it...but that is exactly what we need.

You're not going to get full value for Q or Santiago...Q doesn't have the stuff factor and Code Red is still a work in progress. They are worth more to the White Sox than in trade.

Sale, on the other hand, I believe is worth more in trade. We have a lot of SP right now. Sale is a luxury, and a luxury we don't have any business having given the state of the offense and the position players in general. If Boston offered you Bogaerts and Bradley, along with a few of their other young pieces, would you consider that? Edit: I suppose I'd want some quality "other young pieces," but the biggest two pieces would be the aforementioned.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
I know I have mentioned this a few times, and I don't mean to harp on it...but that is exactly what we need.

You're not going to get full value for Q or Santiago...Q doesn't have the stuff factor and Code Red is still a work in progress. They are worth more to the White Sox than in trade.

Sale, on the other hand, I believe is worth more in trade. We have a lot of SP right now. Sale is a luxury, and a luxury we don't have any business having given the state of the offense and the position players in general. If Boston offered you Bogaerts and Bradley, along with a few of their other young pieces, would you consider that? Edit: I suppose I'd want some quality "other young pieces," but the biggest two pieces would be the aforementioned.

To move Sale, I am asking for Bogaerts, Bradley, Ranaudo, Webster, and Cecchini. Even then, I'm taking my sweet ass time making the deal.

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)

Is this one of the Yahoo Sports "Written by random internet contributor" articles or something more legit by one of their headline, paid writers?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
To move Sale, I am asking for Bogaerts, Bradley, Ranaudo, Webster, and Cecchini. Even then, I'm taking my sweet ass time making the deal.

^

Diamondbacks I'm asking Skaggs, Eaton, Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, Trahan.

Pirates I'm asking Tallion, Cole, Polanco, and Hanson.

Anyone wanting Sale is paying a heavy, heavy price.

Edited by Quinarvy