Rosenthal: Sox should market Sale

Jake

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
In 2008, John Danks was a very highly thought of 23 year old, and people around here were comparing 25 year old Gavin Floyd to Roy Halladay. While it would be nice to think the young core of current White Sox starters will be around and effective for a long while, it's probably not realistic.

Ha, the Floyd was because there were parallels between their careers, but this is a good point too.

You've been pretty much spot on this whole thread.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I think we are way, way overvaluing Chris in this thread. He's not Jesus Christ

The guy is dominating in the AL.

If a NL team would be interested in him you ask for MORE than the MOON.

The kind of numbers he could put up in the NL could be downright scary.....like Randy Johnson scary.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 06:32 PMst=)

No. He's just one of the best starters (the most sought after position)in baseball with the best contract in baseball, making him one of the most valuable players in mlb.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)

Dan Haren, who is older, had less time on his contract, and was probably being paid more got the #12 prospect in all of baseball, Tyler Skaggs, and another promising LHP in Patrick Corbin. Also in that deal was Joe Saunders, who was a competent ML back of the rotation starter

I'd expect more than that for Sale.

We may overvalue Sale but that's how the White Sox have to think. They don't have to trade him, but if someone wants him the price has to be silly.

And if someone is willing to pay a silly price for Sale, Hahn should at least listen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Dan Haren, who is older, had less time on his contract, and was probably being paid more got the #12 prospect in all of baseball, Tyler Skaggs, and another promising LHP in Patrick Corbin. Also in that deal was Joe Saunders, who was a competent ML back of the rotation starter

CC Sabathia was traded for Matt LaPorta, Rob Bryson, Zach Jackson, and a PTBNL. The only player who turned out to be worth a damn was the PTBNL - Michael Brantley.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)

Not even that deal. I stated in the 1st page of the thread. Look at the first Haren deal that brought him to Arizona. Brett Anderson, Carlos Gonzalez, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, and Greg Smith. And that was for Haren with 2 more years of control. Sale would cost even more than that. He is one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL. Is 24 years old. And is locked up for the next 7 seasons for just under $60 million. That is a f***ing robbery. His contract may be the best in all of baseball.

Jake, i don't think your package is good enough. It's good but his contract is so awesome that the Sox would need more. More out of that great St. Louis system is probably not realistic but that's what it would take.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
CC Sabathia was traded for Matt LaPorta, Rob Bryson, Zach Jackson, and a PTBNL. The only player who turned out to be worth a damn was the PTBNL - Michael Brantley.

That was for a half of a season for CC. Sale under team control for 6 year's, and is 24. So yes, If the Sox were to trade Sale, he would require a package doubled what the Haren trade was

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
That was for a half of a season for CC. Sale under team control for 6 year's, and is 24. So yes, If the Sox were to trade Sale, he would require a package doubled what the Haren trade was

That wasn't the point. That was considered a great return for CC, and only one of the guys panned out, and he isn't a great player.

We are talking about one of the 3-5 most valuable players in baseball here, and I honestly think the only player I would surely trade him straight up for is Mike Trout. I'd have to consider Harper too, but that's 50/50 for me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
That wasn't the point. That was considered a great return for CC, and only one of the guys panned out, and he isn't a great player.

We are talking about one of the 3-5 most valuable players in baseball here, and I honestly think the only player I would surely trade him straight up for is Mike Trout. I'd have to consider Harper too, but that's 50/50 for me.

I'd have harper on my list of "obviously yes" except his knee problem scared me.

If you're the White Sox you want something equal (and likely better than) Chris Sale's production over the course of the next 6 years. Because, you know, that's what you're giving up.

I dont think, other than the other "untradeables" out there, there's a single guy worth it and no combination of risky minor leaguers either. I want a guy younger than 25, producing at an All Star level in the majors who is under control for at least the next couple seasons plus a handful of top 100 prospects. That's what it should take to get a guy who's on the verge of Cy Young seasons and will be under team control at less than half of his market value through the rest of this decade.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm 100% behind trading Sale if Ventura is going to remain manager and let him throw 110+ pitches every game in a meaningless season.

This. How about they trade Ventura. Where is Coop's say in these 120 pitch outings?

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
If you're the White Sox you want something equal (and likely better than) Chris Sale's production over the course of the next 6 years. Because, you know, that's what you're giving up.

I dont think, other than the other "untradeables" out there, there's a single guy worth it and no combination of risky minor leaguers either. I want a guy younger than 25, producing at an All Star level in the majors who is under control for at least the next couple seasons plus a handful of top 100 prospects. That's what it should take to get a guy who's on the verge of Cy Young seasons and will be under team control at less than half of his market value through the rest of this decade.

There's no point in trading him for equal value, though -- you might as well just keep him. IF you want to trade him, it's for future value, and it's got to be enough that you get the potential for more value to mitigate the cost of the risk. The only way it makes sense to move Sale (and I'm not saying we should) would be for multiple big-time, high upside prospects.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
There's no point in trading him for equal value, though -- you might as well just keep him. IF you want to trade him, it's for future value, and it's got to be enough that you get the potential for more value to mitigate the cost of the risk. The only way it makes sense to move Sale (and I'm not saying we should) would be for multiple big-time, high upside prospects.

Or because you have concerns about his durability.

Or because you feel like you have more SP available to you then you do position players.

There are plenty of reasons to trade him, and you guys need to stop thinking of this as anything other than what it is - trading one commodity for other(s) because you believe it improves your overall strength. That isn't to say Chris Sale isn't special, because he is. But he also isn't so unique that his contribution to the whole cannot be replaced with others.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Or because you have concerns about his durability.

Or because you feel like you have more SP available to you then you do position players.

There are plenty of reasons to trade him, and you guys need to stop thinking of this as anything other than what it is - trading one commodity for other(s) because you believe it improves your overall strength. That isn't to say Chris Sale isn't special, because he is. But he also isn't so unique that his contribution to the whole cannot be replaced with others.

And the belief by every scout in the game that, while pitching and defense wins championships, you always take a superstar position player who will play 154-162 games vs. an elite starting pitcher who will affect only 32 or so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
And the belief by every scout in the game that, while pitching and defense wins championships, you always take a superstar position player who will play 154-162 games vs. an elite starting pitcher who will affect only 32 or so.

I'm not quite sure that's the belief of every scout. I think there's a whole lot of people who think you build from pitching first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
I'm not quite sure that's the belief of every scout. I think there's a whole lot of people who think you build from pitching first.

I'm talking a 1:1 deal, like Stanton/Sale.

Yes, a deep/quality rotation is always a must, but we're discussing young superstar for superstar trades...

Sale/Harvey/Kershaw vs. Posey/Trout/Harper/Machado/Puig/Stanton/Cabrera, etc.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)

It's definitely risky. I'd rather sign good free agents to go with our own homegrown guys. But great free agents, not guys like Keppinger. I wish the White Sox had the Oakland A's ability to compete despite not being big spenders. Our talent evaluators must suck compared to teams like the A's and Rays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)

And if we were starting with nothing, or if we were starting with equal resources on each side, yes, I would probably seek out pitching first.