Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
If the Sox are including money, it wont be for second tier guys. The Pirates will have enough money to take on those contracts without any money from the White Sox thanks to the new TV deal, but if they want payroll flexibility to add more, it will cost them some of their better prospects.

Hopefully Hahn can convince them of that. I think we can get some very good players for Rios and Alexei.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing how the Pirates gave Josh Bell a $5 mill. signing bonus a few years back, that should put things in perspective how much the Sox will need to include for a deal if they want (and they should want) top prospects. Something like $4 mill. for Rios and $6 mill. for Alexei.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
I think this might actually be one of the best fits out there.

I agree and have been saying this for weeks. I'm bracing myself to be disappointed by the return, though. Polanco I think is untouchable in this type of deal, and Heredia scares me based on what I've heard BP guys report over the past year or so. That being said, I think we'd have to be satisfied if either Hanson or Glasnow is the centerpiece.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
I agree and have been saying this for weeks. I'm bracing myself to be disappointed by the return, though. Polanco I think is untouchable in this type of deal, and Heredia scares me based on what I've heard BP guys report over the past year or so. That being said, I think we'd have to be satisfied if either Hanson or Glasnow is the centerpiece.

I think you need Hanson to be the centerpiece if youre giving up two position players.

Alexei, Rios, and cash to PIttsburgh for something like: Hanson, Kingham, Tabata, and Mercer. Is that enough? Too much? Barrett Barnes is a guy that the Sox were rumored to be taking with the draft pick that they selected Keon Barnum with. Lambo is old I do believe but he is hitting a ton of homers in their system. Also, Stetson Allie is a guy I'd take a flyer on. He didn't work out as a pitcher but he is killing the ball in A Ball as a hitter. Pittsburgh has a ton of prospects. I would think Polanco, Taillon, and Glasnow are guys that they'd like to keep but other guys should be in play.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Alexei, Rios, and cash to PIttsburgh for something like: Hanson, Kingham, Tabata, and Mercer. Is that enough? Too much? Barrett Barnes is a guy that the Sox were rumored to be taking with the draft pick that they selected Keon Barnum with. Lambo is old I do believe but he is hitting a ton of homers in their system. Also, Stetson Allie is a guy I'd take a flyer on. He didn't work out as a pitcher but he is killing the ball in A Ball as a hitter. Pittsburgh has a ton of prospects. I would think Polanco, Taillon, and Glasnow are guys that they'd like to keep but other guys should be in play.

I think that's a realistic trade.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)

If they get Alex, what is the driver to keep Polanco? They already have two long term CF types in Marte and McCutchen, and guys like Barnes and Bell coming along that will be ready when Alex's contract is up.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
If they get Alex, what is the driver to keep Polanco? They already have two long term CF types in Marte and McCutchen, and guys like Barnes and Bell coming along that will be ready when Alex's contract is up.

I'd love this deadline if we got Polanco and Owings from Phoenix (for Peavy)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

Polanco is projected to be a much better player than Barnes or Bell. He can replace Rios when that contract is up.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Polanco is projected to be a much better player than Barnes or Bell. He can replace Rios when that contract is up.

Unless they don't get Rios because they wont give him up. The system is desperate for LH bats and Rick needs to start holding out for some. Hanson is intriguing, but with Beckham holding down 2B for the forseeable future, he is a pretty big risk. If Texas and Pittsburgh are the two teams in it for Alex, which ever team gives up either Sardinas or Polanco first wins.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Unless they don't get Rios because they wont give him up. The system is desperate for LH bats and Rick needs to start holding out for some. Hanson is intriguing, but with Beckham holding down 2B for the forseeable future, he is a pretty big risk. If Texas and Pittsburgh are the two teams in it for Alex, which ever team gives up either Sardinas or Polanco first wins.

Then they just get Schierholtz for way less and platoon him with the recently hot Tabata. Polanco is a top 25 prospect in the league, we'll be very lucky if we get him for Rios. They just aren't that desperate because they have other options.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
I'd love this deadline if we got Polanco and Owings from Phoenix (for Peavy)

I would definitely give Hahn major props if he pulled that off and that would put us in a nice situation prospect wise moving forward.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Then they just get Schierholtz for way less and platoon him with the recently hot Tabata. Polanco is a top 25 prospect in the league, we'll be very lucky if we get him for Rios. They just aren't that desperate because they have other options.

If they want to fill both holes, there aren't many options. The Cubs will require a lot more for a Castro/Schieholtz deal, so I dont think they would be ahead in any way. I understand Polanco has had a good season and that has given him a lot of helium in the rankings, so the Sox would probably be buying high on him at this point.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
A SS with an 11:2 K:BB ratio scares me in this system. Too much swing in miss as an organization now.

His improved his contact quite a bit this year (from 23.3% to 17.8% in his K-rate). He just hasn't walked a lot, but that's nothing the White Sox are unfamiliar with. If he can hit, bring him on.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)

Polanco is a stud. I don't think he's getting traded unless the Pirates went all out and got a guy like Stanton.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Owings is my top target. Idgaf what happens as long as he joins us.

Saw him Reno last night. The speed and power were legit. He should be hitting in the .360 range

Only reason I could see for Dbacks not calling him up is to shop him

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Saw him Reno last night. The speed and power were legit. He should be hitting in the .360 range

Only reason I could see for Dbacks not calling him up is to shop him

Or not having a spot for him? Gregorious has been good for them and he is not displacing Aaron Hill.

I think people are overvaluing Polanco and making him seem like an untouchable elite prospect. If the Pirates were to try and acquire Rios, Ramirez, AND cash back, I think Polanco would be a very reasonable return package. He is a very good prospect, but lets not kid ourselves, he's no top 5 or 10 guy right now. Maybe, maybe top 25 in baseball.

So, lets say its true and the Pirates want Rios and Ramirez, they better be willing to either take on all the salary and give back less in prospects, or if they want cash to, you have to give back something worth value to the Sox, as simple as that.

Also, the Pirates would be crazy not to try and get Ramirez and Rios in the same deal. Tabata and Snider leaves a whole lot to be desired in RF (and so would Schierholtz and Tabata), and Barnes/Mercer are not cutting it at SS. They have a legit shot at winning the Central this year, and the extra wins that Rios and Ramirez would likely provide for them might put them over the top of the Cardinals. That alone makes me think it is likelier the Pirates might be willing to throw in a little more talent.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
Stanton would cost the Pirates way more than Polanco. You're talking about Polanco + Hanson + Taillon

Yes I understand that but I just meant that Polanco could be used in a deal to acquire someone like that.