Sox turn down trade offer for Alexei from Cardinals

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm getting sick of moving Gordo around...but that's not to say it's not necessary to move him over there when Lexi gets' moved...but I just don't think he's a MLB quality SS. That's why I'm more inclined to get into bed with Arizona to pry Owings away than STL for a Wong deal.

Owings has many of the same question marks at SS that Beckham had when he was first drafted, according to some scouting reports.

I feel like people think since Beckham was moved very quickly away from SS when he entered pro ball it meant that he couldn't play SS, but the reality was that he was moved away from SS because SS was blocked by Ramirez and Beckham was expected to be with the pro club sooner rather than later. If the White Sox didn't have Ramirez at SS but rather Royce Clayton, I would bet you would have seen Beckham come up to the majors as a SS.

Whether he would stick there, that's another question, but he has enough tools to that would make it worth experimenting with him at SS.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Owings has many of the same question marks at SS that Beckham had when he was first drafted, according to some scouting reports.

I feel like people think since Beckham was moved very quickly away from SS when he entered pro ball it meant that he couldn't play SS, but the reality was that he was moved away from SS because SS was blocked by Ramirez and Beckham was expected to be with the pro club sooner rather than later. If the White Sox didn't have Ramirez at SS but rather Royce Clayton, I would bet you would have seen Beckham come up to the majors as a SS.

Whether he would stick there, that's another question, but he has enough tools to that would make it worth experimenting with him at SS.

And Pedroia was a much better defensive SS than Beckham coming out...but look where he ended up...where scouts projected him. I just think that was the projection on Gordo from the start and he's exactly where he's supposed to be...or I should say succeed at his best position at this level. Owings on the other hand is outstanding defensively at SS right now. I just want Gordo left where he is...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
If you really think Alexei is easily replaceable, just remember that the Red Sox gave Stephen Drew $9.5 million this year after he put up a .657 OPS last year while playing only 79 games. He's hitting .228 this year with a .712 OPS for that money.

If we don't trade for one, finding a major league quality shortstop on the free agent market, even a 1 year, stopgap measure, is going to be incredibly pricey. That's why I think trading Alexei is the "Throw in the towel" move for next year...you can spend the money to replace Rios, you already have players to replace Peavy, but replacing Alexei will be very difficult if that replacement has to be found through free agency.

I said his production is easily replaceable. This idea that just because you have a MIF that is above league average, you must keep him is ridiculous. Because above league average MIF still suck when compared to overall league average. They don't win you games and wasting $10 mil on them when it could be spent on someone who is much more productive is a horrible use of resources.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
I said his production is easily replaceable. This idea that just because you have a MIF that is above league average, you must keep him is ridiculous. Because above league average MIF still suck when compared to overall league average. They don't win you games and wasting $10 mil on them when it could be spent on someone who is much more productive is a horrible use of resources.

If it's easily replaceable, who do you replace it with? Somebody in the farm system already? Somebody hitting free agency?

My thought is your best bet is to convert Beckham to SS but I'd love to hear your idea.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
If it's easily replaceable, who do you replace it with? Somebody in the farm system already? Somebody hitting free agency?

My thought is your best bet is to convert Beckham to SS but I'd love to hear your idea.

I'm not talking about another SS. I'll take any replacement level SS. An additional $10 mil spent at a position that actually creates runs will be much more productive than the amount of runs Alexei produces. He simply does not produce that many. For a team that doesn't score from the offensive positions to begin with, spending 1/10 of payroll on a .650 OPS SS is useless.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm not talking about another SS. I'll take any replacement level SS. An additional $10 mil spent at a position that actually creates runs will be much more productive than the amount of runs Alexei produces. He simply does not produce that many. For a team that doesn't score from the offensive positions to begin with, spending 1/10 of payroll on a .650 OPS SS is useless.

This says it all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
As a White Sox fan, I think this is how you get the best value.

Just depends...if a team feels like they can do "one-stop shopping" by acquiring a few guys from us rather than having to risk dealing with another unworkable counterparty, then we may actually see a premium that way...but generally, yes, it may not be in our best interest to "bundle" our players.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
"The Cardinals appear unlikely to make a significant trade, according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. General manager John Mozeliak won't part with top prospects Michael Wacha, Carlos Martinez, Oscar Taveras or Kolten Wong unless a "major" upgrade at shortstop or a high-end starting pitcher becomes available."

Per Steve Adams of MLBTR

Just put that in the Peavy thread also.

He can be a little slow... but I ***_for_brains> like him.

You're right, I shouldn't say such negative things about myself.

No need for a pep talk, I'll be just fine.

Hooray for self esteem!!

Question:

If the Cards offered Tavares,Wong,Martinez along with some lottery picks for Sale and Alexi would you take it? I would just on the pure upside of the deal. That would be three top 50 prospects and would probably make the White Sox a top 10 farm system right off the bat.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
Question:

If the Cards offered Tavares,Wong,Martinez along with some lottery picks for Sale and Alexi would you take it? I would just on the pure upside of the deal. That would be three top 50 prospects and would probably make the White Sox a top 10 farm system right off the bat.

Add their best SP prospect and Adams, then I'd think about it.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 01:00 AM)
Question:

Throw in Adams and I'd really have to think about. Maybe replace Wong with Adams and add Blazek.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 06:00 AM)
Question:

would be a horrible deal for us.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 01:00 AM)
Question:

No.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:04 AM)
Tavaras, Adams, Wong, Piscotty and Martinez for Sale and Alexei.

No way STL would. They are just not that type of organization. They just trust their homegrown production and rightfully so.

How exciting would a line up with those three be?

S CF Crisp/De Aza

L RF Tavaras

R 3B Young

L DH Dunn/Viciedo

L 1B Adams

R SS Beckham

L LF De Aza/Viciedo

R C Phegley

L 2B Wong

No chance in hell the Sox would do that

After acquring Garcia and Jacobs, the Sox have some extra OF's that could be dangled with the most valuable probably being Trayce Thompson. Does Ramirez, Thompson, and Lindstrom get you Adams and Martinez/Wong? I'd probably rather just see if Alexei and Lindstrom could pull Adams though.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
After acquring Garcia and Jacobs, the Sox have some extra OF's that could be dangled with the most valuable probably being Trayce Thompson. Does Ramirez, Thompson, and Lindstrom get you Adams and Martinez/Wong? I'd probably rather just see if Alexei and Lindstrom could pull Adams though.

The Cardinals really don't need our AA center field development prospect. Basically everyone in the White Sox system is worth more to the White Sox than to any other team right now unless there's some scout on some team absolutely raving about a guy.

Trayce also has the big use to the ChiSox of being a legit, ground-covering CF. None of hte other guys are.