Anybody Found The Last Couple Days Easier to Watch?

Dunt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
It's tough for me now. I don't want them to win. I want the 3rd pick in June minimum. They can't f*** up this fantastic opportunity by falling down to the 5-8 range draft pick wise. Ideally, Garcia and Beckham will do well, Dunn will hit bombs, Starting pitchers pitch well, and then Axelrod blows the game. That's my ideal scenario right now. God that sounds horrible.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Ha, we are in 100% agreement. I would add Phegley and Viciedo to the group I hope succeeds in a game. I find myself rooting hard for the Marlins and Astros of late as well.

Yup.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
I cussed when I saw the Sox lost in a walk-off. Painful, embarrassing season in all aspects of being a fan to those of us who don't care about the draft.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Cause I love the team and follow its fortunes every day.

And want them to be forever bottom feeders?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
And want them to be forever bottom feeders?

How the hell is a No. 2 draft pick going to magically make us better when in many years the No. 15 pick turns out to be a better player than No. 2?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
are you a troll?

You ask that just cause I don't give a flip about the baseball draft? I think most of America agrees with me considering few people pay attention to baseball's draft when NBA and NFL Drafts are big TV extravaganzas. I am a huge White Sox fan who believes if we add AJP or another catcher who can hit, Abreu and Grandy, we could maybe win next year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Avisail Garcia.

Because he's young and exciting and has actual top prospect promise.

Yes. This is one of only two reasons I am interested in watching a full Sox game.

The other reason is the phenom himself- Christopher Sale!

I get the entire "wanting to lose for the best draft pick" possible thing, and see its value. But since it's much more of a crapshoot than football or basketball, even at the top of the draft, that reason isn't quite as strong for me in baseball.

So I just choose to be happy either way. If they win -- woo hoo, the Sox won! If they lose -- woo hoo, better chance at a top 3 pick!

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
It does the Sox absolutely no good to win the majority of their games. I don't care about your couch time. Get used to feeling like s*** every night and cussing because this season is not turning around. Actually, the long term future of the Sox will be better if they don't turn it around. Why don't you care about the draft? I understand not being into it but you must understand that it's important right? That is one avenue in which you use to acquire talent. One silver lining in this horrible season is the fact that they can add more amateur talent over the coming and will have a larger bonus pool to spend on the draft. You refusing to understand this is very irritating to me. I told myself that I wouldn't respond anymore but your ignorance just rankles me.

He's like a drug, I said I was gonna block him, but his comments are so fun to dispute.

This year is a lost cause, play for draft positioning, get an intriguing prospect in the draft, sign a few impact bats in the offseason and try to contend next year.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 04:38 AM)
That's not a terrible question.

I can't believe my love of the Sox is still getting questioned with "troll" accusations. El Rockin is the most optimistic Sox fan ever, beyond belief, and yet nobody calls him a troll. I just praise him cause he's so optimistic. I think Dick Allen is the only one who has mentioned some of my opinions actually turn out 100 percent correct yet my haters bring up the "troll" stuff occasionally.

I promise you I bleed White Sox colors.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
I can't believe my love the Sox is still getting questioned with "troll" accusations. El Rockin is the most optimistic Sox fan ever, beyond belief, and yet nobody calls him a troll. I just praise him cause he's so optimistic. I think Dick Allen is the only one who has mentioned some of my opinions actually turn out 100 percent correct yet my haters bring up the "troll" stuff occasionally.

I wouldn't attribute it all to haters. I suspect most people are pessimistic in general. Posters here don't seem to persecute the negative posters nearly as often. I'm sure there are other reasons I feel this way too. Maybe I am just biased.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 06:28 AM)
I can't believe my love of the Sox is still getting questioned with "troll" accusations. El Rockin is the most optimistic Sox fan ever, beyond belief, and yet nobody calls him a troll. I just praise him cause he's so optimistic. I think Dick Allen is the only one who has mentioned some of my opinions actually turn out 100 percent correct yet my haters bring up the "troll" stuff occasionally.

I promise you I bleed White Sox colors.

I'm with you Greg. The chance of one high pick is not worth rooting for losses. Nor is it worth losing, from the sox standpoint. I wish it was. It would be an easy way out. For me the only way it makes sense is if the sox are going to suck this bad for multiple years.

Here is why you should pull for the Sox to bring in Axe to kill games.

The Sox will lose 90+ games. It's better for them to lose 100 and get Rodon than lose 95 and get the 3rd pick.

Why?

Scouting for baseball is getting better and better with the improvement of technology. #1 picks are becoming more and more of a sure thing (Stras, Harper, Cole). 100% accurate? No. More accurate than even 6 years ago (Tim Beckham)? Yes.

The Sox are in a position to rebuild and rebuild fast. They have an ace, they have a #2, and a #3 already in place. If Danks/Rienzo/Johnson/Leesman can be #4's and #5's, the the rotation is actually set.

They have Reed, Jones, and Webb to build the pen around. Maybe even Petricka and Leesman.

They have a good bats for next year in Alexei, De Aza, Garcia, and Dunn in place. Maybe Gordon has really figured it out, Conor, Phegley, and Viciedo can all improve. Maybe L. Garcia makes Alexei expendable.

The Sox have a lot of cash to spend on FAs like Abreu, Morales, and McCann. Hell, if they clear Dunn they can even make a run at Ellsbury.

So I'd rather the Sox lose 5 more games and get a talent like Rodon in the system than five meaningless wins because their stay at the bottom of the league may be very, very short lived.

We should all definitely want the Sox to lose, but not at the expense of development. This season is a sunk cost in terms of winning, but some good can still come of it if the young guys can continue to learn and start connecting the dots. I'd love to get the #2 pick, but if a guy like Garcia or Viciedo goes on a tear and prevents that from happening I'll be even happier. Hopefully the bullpen and poor fundamentals will lose us a lot of games going forward though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
We should all definitely want the Sox to lose, but not at the expense of development. This season is a sunk cost in terms of winning, but some good can still come of it if the young guys can continue to learn and start connecting the dots. I'd love to get the #2 pick, but if a guy like Garcia or Viciedo goes on a tear and prevents that from happening I'll be even happier. Hopefully the bullpen and poor fundamentals will lose us a lot of games going forward though.

Axelrod to the rescue.

I don't remember who's sig says "half our roster is designed to kill the other half's rallies," but it was so perfectly true.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Here is why you should pull for the Sox to bring in Axe to kill games.

The Sox will lose 90+ games. It's better for them to lose 100 and get Rodon than lose 95 and get the 3rd pick.

Why?

Scouting for baseball is getting better and better with the improvement of technology. #1 picks are becoming more and more of a sure thing (Stras, Harper, Cole). 100% accurate? No. More accurate than even 6 years ago (Tim Beckham)? Yes.

The Sox are in a position to rebuild and rebuild fast. They have an ace, they have a #2, and a #3 already in place. If Danks/Rienzo/Johnson/Leesman can be #4's and #5's, the the rotation is actually set.

They have Reed, Jones, and Webb to build the pen around. Maybe even Petricka and Leesman.

They have a good bats for next year in Alexei, De Aza, Garcia, and Dunn in place. Maybe Gordon has really figured it out, Conor, Phegley, and Viciedo can all improve. Maybe L. Garcia makes Alexei expendable.

The Sox have a lot of cash to spend on FAs like Abreu, Morales, and McCann. Hell, if they clear Dunn they can even make a run at Ellsbury.

So I'd rather the Sox lose 5 more games and get a talent like Rodon in the system than five meaningless wins because their stay at the bottom of the league may be very, very short lived.

I just don't think they can possibly catch those awful teams, especially houston. So that weighs into my decision for hoping to see the players on the roster do well.

Another thing - if the players on the roster just suck all year enough to lose 105 games then we have more major problems than a number one pick will solve.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
I just don't think they can possibly catch those awful teams, especially houston. So that weighs into my decision for hoping to see the players on the roster do well.

Another thing - if the players on the roster just suck all year enough to lose 105 games then we have more major problems than a number one pick will solve.

I am fine with the #3 pick. I just don't want to fall any further than that. Need as much money to spend on the draft as possible.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm with you Greg. The chance of one high pick is not worth rooting for losses. Nor is it worth losing, from the sox standpoint. I wish it was. It would be an easy way out. For me the only way it makes sense is if the sox are going to suck this bad for multiple years.

I notice more of the board newcomers or those who don't post a lot tend to agree with my controversial stance.

As a relative board new comer but someone who has been watching the Sox for years (albeit from Sunny Scotland via MLBTV). I agree with Greg. I'd like to see us win with the youth, then make a splash for 2 or 3 hitters plus a couple of bullpen arms and I think we will be in contention.

Most of the games lost this year have been by one or two runs which have been down to bad hitting or bad defense. If we tighten up defensively and bring in a few hitters, it could be a more fun season next year.

QUOTE (glangon @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
As a relative board new comer but someone who has been watching the Sox for years (albeit from Sunny Scotland via MLBTV). I agree with Greg. I'd like to see us win with the youth, then make a splash for 2 or 3 hitters plus a couple of bullpen arms and I think we will be in contention.

Most of the games lost this year have been by one or two runs which have been down to bad hitting or bad defense. If we tighten up defensively and bring in a few hitters, it could be a more fun season next year.

Another newcomer agrees with greg. I'm like the Pied Piper. I attract the people who don't normally speak their voice.