Reasons Rick Hahn Would Land Cano

Jerksticks

I tend to agree with Balta on this - the pitching the Sox have going into 2014, and a few pitching prospects coming up, tell me a 3-4 year rebuild is not the way to go. If they can make one Big Splash (maybe Abreu for 1B, or some free agent), and improve at a couple spots in the lineup even a little... I think this team performs much differently next year.

The defense is bizarre, after being so good last year, and I'd bet on it improving. There are young guys like Avisail Garcia and Marcus Semien that can provide some improvement and energy. That's before any offseason trades or signings.

This isn't even to mention the fundamental aspect of the Sox fan base - unlike the Cubs fan base, they won't show up in droves for a horrific team. A long term rebuild is not workable for the Sox.

The biggest issue is obviously finding the hitters. And this team does have significant money to play with.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
While I would love for your scenario to play out, Cano will never accept such a short deal. Why risk free agency again when someone will offer him a 9 or 10 year deal?

And a 9-10 year deal is the reason-besides the cost-that the Sox shouldn't go after Cano Plus we assume the Yankmees won't resign him anyway. I think we can see from many examples the folly of the long term big dollar signings. A-Rod, Pujols, Hamilton and more

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
I tend to agree with Balta on this - the pitching the Sox have going into 2014, and a few pitching prospects coming up, tell me a 3-4 year rebuild is not the way to go. If they can make one Big Splash (maybe Abreu for 1B, or some free agent), and improve at a couple spots in the lineup even a little... I think this team performs much differently next year.

The defense is bizarre, after being so good last year, and I'd bet on it improving. There are young guys like Avisail Garcia and Marcus Semien that can provide some improvement and energy. That's before any offseason trades or signings.

This isn't even to mention the fundamental aspect of the Sox fan base - unlike the Cubs fan base, they won't show up in droves for a horrific team. A long term rebuild is not workable for the Sox.

The biggest issue is obviously finding the hitters. And this team does have significant money to play with.

I think wite's point is that there's a difference between getting a guy like Abreu (who is 26 and comes with 6 years of control) and shelling up major dollars for newly post-prime guys that are only available because they are about to be overpaid or are injury prone. There's just a ton of downside because the latter guys are only going to be worth the money for the first couple years of the deal, and if anything goes wrong at all, you're now stuck with big bad contracts for years.

I thin the Sox are 2-3 years from contention, but if they had signed free agents like that before, they'd be 5 years out like the Astros and Cubs were when they began this. I think we need to be patient and we'll be back sooner than we think.

That's pretty much exactly it. I'd love Abreu, but he's about the only guy I really want the Sox to bring in. McCann would be OK, but he's very risky, especially for like 5 years. I feel the same way about Granderson, though I do actually like him more than most on here so long as a lefty masher were brought in as a platoon partner. However, I think Cano would be about the worst. He'll likely have to move to 1B halfway through the contract, and I get the feeling that his power is going to begin to fade in about 3 years. The last thing I'd want is a $25 million player hitting 10-15 homers and NOT hitting .330 like Mauer does.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
That's pretty much exactly it. I'd love Abreu, but he's about the only guy I really want the Sox to bring in. McCann would be OK, but he's very risky, especially for like 5 years. I feel the same way about Granderson, though I do actually like him more than most on here so long as a lefty masher were brought in as a platoon partner. However, I think Cano would be about the worst. He'll likely have to move to 1B halfway through the contract, and I get the feeling that his power is going to begin to fade in about 3 years. The last thing I'd want is a $25 million player hitting 10-15 homers and NOT hitting .330 like Mauer does.

I agree with you on Cano. He's a guy for a team that tries to win every year and doesn't care if it has dead money at the end.

Here's another way to say my position. With the White Sox current roster, they have 1 incredibly gigantic hole that needs filled at 1b. They have a player at every position otherwise who pencils in as the starter next season. The Sox may not like every player and they may be interested in upgrades at those slots, but every other position has a body with some potential.

If the Sox can land Abreu, they can go into next season saying "if a few things go our way we're a competitive team right now".

If they don't believe in one or two guys, like either Phegley or Viciedo, that doesn't change it. They have more than enough money to fill the gaping hole at 1b and replace one of those guys as well.

When the team has money to spend and a highly above average pitching staff, there really is zero reason to bite the bullet and plan to lose for 2-3 years. They're not waiting out bad contracts like the Angels might be, they're not waiting on guys in the low minors to show up like the Cubs/Astros are, they have a roster they can run with right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
I agree with you on Cano. He's a guy for a team that tries to win every year and doesn't care if it has dead money at the end.

Here's another way to say my position. With the White Sox current roster, they have 1 incredibly gigantic hole that needs filled at 1b. They have a player at every position otherwise who pencils in as the starter next season. The Sox may not like every player and they may be interested in upgrades at those slots, but every other position has a body with some potential.

If the Sox can land Abreu, they can go into next season saying "if a few things go our way we're a competitive team right now".

If they don't believe in one or two guys, like either Phegley or Viciedo, that doesn't change it. They have more than enough money to fill the gaping hole at 1b and replace one of those guys as well.

When the team has money to spend and a highly above average pitching staff, there really is zero reason to bite the bullet and plan to lose for 2-3 years. They're not waiting out bad contracts like the Angels might be, they're not waiting on guys in the low minors to show up like the Cubs/Astros are, they have a roster they can run with right now.

Exactly. The time is now. Our winning pitching window just opened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)

I don't think you plan on losing for 2-3 years, which is why you make competitive changes, but sometimes these things are inevitable. Yes, I think if the Sox sign Abreu and everything goes right, they can be competitive, but I don't believe that (being competitive) will happen. Yes, I think that would be a great move. But that's why you don't necessarily want to sign guys like McCann and Granderson and whoever else. If the Sox were closer to competing, nobody would have any problem with. Perhaps the front office believes that much of this poor season was due to bad luck and circumstance, and they do go out and sign Abreu, McCann, and Granderson or Pence, and they come out and win 95 games next season. Then most of the fans are wrong, and that's that.

In the same light, the Cubs could trade their prospects for a guy like David Price and they are looking at a rotation of Price, Samardzija, Wood, and Jackson (who I don't believe will be this bad again next year), plus a 5th starter of some type. I think that rotation can be just as good as the Sox rotation.

When you start bringing variables into it, things change completely. As of this moment, I don't think there's any real difference between the Cubs and Sox.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Exactly. The time is now. Our winning pitching window just opened.

They will need to be resigned to new contracts in the next couple years here too. Cano isn't going to take a 4 year deal unless, as mentioned, it was something stupid like $40 million a year. He's going to get a contract until he's 39 or 40. Do you want to commit $25-30 million for a guy like that and then inevitably lose guys like Santiago and Quintana as a result?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
The White Sox are not getting Robinson Cano. Might as well close this thread too because nothing of substance will come of it either. People arguing in a relevant thread about people being happy about the White Sox losing gets shutdown but a pipedream thread about the Sox getting a guy that will require a 10 year $300 million deal is alive and kicking? Very funny.

Good point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
They will need to be resigned to new contracts in the next couple years here too.

Quintana has 2 years left before arbitration and 5 years left before free agency. Santiago has 1 year left before arbitration and 4 before free agency. Sale's already extended. Rienzo and Johnson each have 3 years left before arbitration and 6 years left before free agency.

Reed and Jones also have 1 year left pre-arb and 4 years before free agency.

This pitching staff is under control for a long, long time. The first one hits free agency the same year Alex Rodriguez does.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
The White Sox are not getting Robinson Cano. Might as well close this thread too because nothing of substance will come of it either.

Bet that's a word that the Sox or whoever else sign him for eleventy years (and whatever ass dollar amount to go with it) will be hearing often before the deal runs it's course.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Quintana has 2 years left before arbitration and 5 years left before free agency. Santiago has 1 year left before arbitration and 4 before free agency. Sale's already extended. Rienzo and Johnson each have 3 years left before arbitration and 6 years left before free agency.

Reed and Jones also have 1 year left pre-arb and 4 years before free agency.

This pitching staff is under control for a long, long time. The first one hits free agency the same year Alex Rodriguez does.

Yea. Ideally we spend for offense now while the pitching is cheap. In 4-5 years when the pitching gets expensive, hopefully some of these offensive guys we recently drafted start panning out and the offense gets cheap.

I don't really care about Cano. I'd wager the Yankees can't afford to let him go anyway. But we should still spend some f***ing money.

They're going to try to win in 2014. But if they are smart, they won't spend money on anyone that doesn't have substantial value for several years.

YES:

Abreu

McCann (He moves very naturally to 1B/DH when Dunn goes. I'm assuming Konerko is done)

NO:

Morales

Granderson

Ellsbury (Injured literally every year, already 30, relies on speed)

Cano (Will still be good, but will be overpaid quickly and substantially. Sox must seek surplus value. Plus Second basemen don;t usually age well)

Every pitcher

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
They're going to try to win in 2014. But if they are smart, they won't spend money on anyone that doesn't have substantial value for several years.

YES:

Abreu

McCann (He moves very naturally to 1B/DH when Dunn goes. I'm assuming Konerko is done)

NO:

Morales

Granderson

Ellsbury (Injured literally every year, already 30, relies on speed)

Every pitcher

There will be some lefties I want the Sox to consider, because I want nothing to do with Veal or Purcey as a significant piece.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
There will be some lefties I want the Sox to consider, because I want nothing to do with Veal or Purcey as a significant piece.

I've been wondering what they will do with the bullpen lefties also. They could definitely go with Veal and Leesman as bullpen lefties if they're going to be conservative and they think they can get Veal straightend out, but just like the catcher's spot, who knows.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)

So hard to get relievers to work out in free agency though. Guys on deals like that of Lindstrom, if they are available, I'm all for. But nothing like a Joaquin Benoit contract.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
So hard to get relievers to work out in free agency though. Guys on deals like that of Lindstrom, if they are available, I'm all for. But nothing like a Joaquin Benoit contract.

Oh god no. Like Boone Logan is a free agent, and he's been death on lefties, but I want nothing to do with him. Eric O'Flaherty, on the other hand, even recovering from Tommy John, would be worth a shot. You might not get him until June or August or September, but if you can get an option attached to it for an extra year, it's worth a shot at the very least.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh god no. Like Boone Logan is a free agent, and he's been death on lefties, but I want nothing to do with him. Eric O'Flaherty, on the other hand, even recovering from Tommy John, would be worth a shot. You might not get him until June or August or September, but if you can get an option attached to it for an extra year, it's worth a shot at the very least.

Speaking of reclamation projects, I would be shocked if the Sox don't offer something to Gavin. One year, with an option for the second year would be ideal, because that would make him a trade piece if the rotation holds up, and an insurance policy if it doesn't.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
And a 9-10 year deal is the reason-besides the cost-that the Sox shouldn't go after Cano Plus we assume the Yankmees won't resign him anyway. I think we can see from many examples the folly of the long term big dollar signings. A-Rod, Pujols, Hamilton and more

True, there's really no reason to discuss Cano. Some big money team is sure to gobble him up. I still say the Yankees would resign him.

I know you all get mad when I bring this up, but the Sox have to build a team capable of beating its divisional neighbors. It's cause for celebration when we split a season series with a team in the Central. This has to change.

We need a totally revamped lineup and I don't know how Hahn will pull that off. Suddenly we have no power, sans Dunn, and we've all beaten to death what a trainwreck of a hitter he is. We also aren't that speedy. I don't think L. Garcia is the answer but A. Garcia helps the speed a lot. DeAza and Lexi and Beckham are too inconsistent for my tastes.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Unless he's due a significant pay bump, I see no reason not to bring Veal back. He could return to the 2012 version.

He's not. The question is whether they think enough of him to plan for him being a major bullpen contributor or if they look for a free agent signee as the main left handed reliever in the bullpen.