Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of an extremely boring off season so far would someone please explain to me why we want to sign a 32 yo that has hit above .250 once since 08 , strikes out a ton and comes with a hefty contractual commitment ( both salary and years) ? Considering he was batting in the Yankee lineup, what can you reasonably expect from him in the Sox lineup who's offense was piss- poor at best last year?

I want to see the sox get some players, but the right players. Going after Granderson just seems more like a move out of desperation than anything else. Just don't get it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:37 AM)
Outside of an extremely boring off season so far would someone please explain to me why we want to sign a 32 yo that has hit above .250 once since 08 , strikes out a ton and comes with a hefty contractual commitment ( both salary and years) ? Considering he was batting in the Yankee lineup, what can you reasonably expect from him in the Sox lineup who's offense was piss- poor at best last year?

I want to see the sox get some players, but the right players. Going after Granderson just seems more like a move out of desperation than anything else. Just don't get it.

He had an .811 ops in his last healthy year(2012), takes walks while not clogging the bases, hits for good power, is a good clubhouse presence, and he might just play more inspired in Chicago.

I'd expect 30+ HRs, 80+ RBI, and 70+ walks.

But I'm saying this as a guy who thinks you can win with guys like Adam Dunn so our opinions may be different.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:37 AM)

It depends on what is meant by "Hefty salary commitment". I'm probably not interested at 3/$40 which is where I thought he'd be. I'd probably be interested at 3/under$30.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)

I totally get your point and agree about teams making moves just to make moves, however, baseball teams have a crap-load of money right now, if it's not some sort of crazy burdensome contract I wouldn't mind him coming, but the loss of draftpick at this point with the Sox, would probably have me against bringing him in.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
He had an .811 ops in his last healthy year(2012), takes walks while not clogging the bases, hits for good power, is a good clubhouse presence, and he might just play more inspired in Chicago.

I'd expect 30+ HRs, 80+ RBI, and 70+ walks.

But I'm saying this as a guy who thinks you can win with guys like Adam Dunn so our opinions may be different.

You're right it is a difference of opinions as well as stats. I see what you're saying but I'm looking at it as we have enuff guys that strike out a lot and hit for a poor average already. As for Dunn, I have a very tuff time seeing the Sox winning with the Adam dunn I've seen the last three years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
It depends on what is meant by "Hefty salary commitment". I'm probably not interested at 3/$40 which is where I thought he'd be. I'd probably be interested at 3/under$30.

I'm guessing Granderson will net 13m per season or more in which case I'm not interested based on my post above. I admit 10m per would be intriguing but not sure even then. Just my opinion is all.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm guessing Granderson will net 13m per season or more in which case I'm not interested based on my post above. I admit 10m per would be intriguing but not sure even then. Just my opinion is all.

$13+ was my guess as well but it has generally sounded like he's not getting those kind of offers so far.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
I totally get your point and agree about teams making moves just to make moves, however, baseball teams have a crap-load of money right now, if it's not some sort of crazy burdensome contract I wouldn't mind him coming, but the loss of draftpick at this point with the Sox, would probably have me against bringing him in.

The draft pick is another good point. Hate to give it up after suffering through such a horrible season.

When the Sox pick in the 2nd round there will be late first round talent available. If the Sox gave up the pick to sign Granderson, and then traded him, I think it's unlikely they could acquire through trade the type of talent that would be available when the Sox pick in the 2nd. Granderson's contributions in the next year or two shouldn't be worth that much to a rebuilding team.

I would rather draft a top prospect in the 2nd round and then a year later spin him off as the centerpiece of a deal for someone else's much younger MLB-proven OF. Because at this point, while it's true we need talent on the MLB team, we need to maximize our chances of acquiring long-term fits. And whether keeping and developing talent from the farm or (preferably) trading unproven prospects from the farm for young established MLB players who can be locked up for years foregoing free agency, prospects are going to help us out much more.

The Sox should buy on FAs who don't cost draft picks, and if they trade for anyone, please go all out and get Castro. I'd give up a ton for that guy, and he's just out there because it's the Astros. Most teams don't try to deal off young high quality catchers, they try to extend them. Hahn's best skills seem to be in contract negotiation, so try to make that deal & extend him. And I don't mind parting with top pitching either, we can actually develop that. Semien or Beckham plus Johnson and Reed, yeah I'd go that far. I think I like Beck a little better & I like our chances of coming up with another long-term SP piece through next year's #1 or in another deal.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
You're right it is a difference of opinions as well as stats. I see what you're saying but I'm looking at it as we have enuff guys that strike out a lot and hit for a poor average already. As for Dunn, I have a very tuff time seeing the Sox winning with the Adam dunn I've seen the last three years.

Thing is, didn't they almost already do just it last year?

If he and PK weren't broken down(both were dealing with injury) down the stretch they very well could have won the division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
$13+ was my guess as well but it has generally sounded like he's not getting those kind of offers so far.

That's good news I guess. Lol. To me its a scary thought adding another bat that k's a lot while hitting under .250

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
When the Sox pick in the 2nd round there will be late first round talent available. If the Sox gave up the pick to sign Granderson, and then traded him, I think it's unlikely they could acquire through trade the type of talent that would be available when the Sox pick in the 2nd. Granderson's contributions in the next year or two shouldn't be worth that much to a rebuilding team.

I would rather draft a top prospect in the 2nd round and then a year later spin him off as the centerpiece of a deal for someone else's much younger MLB-proven OF. Because at this point, while it's true we need talent on the MLB team, we need to maximize our chances of acquiring long-term fits. And whether keeping and developing talent from the farm or (preferably) trading unproven prospects from the farm for young established MLB players who can be locked up for years foregoing free agency, prospects are going to help us out much more.

The Sox should buy on FAs who don't cost draft picks, and if they trade for anyone, please go all out and get Castro. I'd give up a ton for that guy, and he's just out there because it's the Astros. Most teams don't try to deal off young high quality catchers, they try to extend them. Hahn's best skills seem to be in contract negotiation, so try to make that deal & extend him. And I don't mind parting with top pitching either, we can actually develop that. Semien or Beckham plus Johnson and Reed, yeah I'd go that far. I think I like Beck a little better & I like our chances of coming up with another long-term SP piece through next year's #1 or in another deal.

+1

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
+1

+2. Sox second pick is currently sitting at #53 with a likely chance of moving up to 50 or higher. I'd much rather have a chance to go after top 50 talent in this draft than Granderson.

+2. Sox second pick is currently sitting at #53 with a likely chance of moving up to 50 or higher. I'd much rather have a chance to go after top 50 talent in this draft than Granderson.

This is exactly why Granderson should have accepted the Yankees offer.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Thing is, didn't they almost already do just it last year?

If he and PK weren't broken down(both were dealing with injury) down the stretch they very well could have won the division.

Point taken. They sucked so bad in 13 I forgot about almost winning the division in 12. But in 12 we had a much better hitting catcher, a proven RF (I do have faith in Avi, he's just young is all), Youk at 3rd with Tank and Gordon healthy and hitting better. Is just hard for me to see them competing in 14. I hope like hell Hahn makes me eat those words!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
+1

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

Well said guys and couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

Wes Whisler

Craig Italiano

Chad Huffman

Kyle Lotzker

Seth Lintz

Brooks Pounders

Todd Cunningham

Dwight Smith

Collin Wiles

Andrew Knapp

The last 10 #53 picks. The draft pick should not be a deterrent in signing Granderson.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Wes Whisler

Craig Italiano

Chad Huffman

Kyle Lotzker

Seth Lintz

Brooks Pounders

Todd Cunningham

Dwight Smith

Collin Wiles

Andrew Knapp

The last 10 #53 picks. The draft pick should not be a deterrent in signing Granderson.

No, but Granderson's age and the quality of the White Sox should.

Wes Whisler

Craig Italiano

Chad Huffman

Kyle Lotzker

Seth Lintz

Brooks Pounders

Todd Cunningham

Dwight Smith

Collin Wiles

Andrew Knapp

Brooks Pounders lol.

Seriously though, it should absolutely be a deterrent. Granderson is just not that good anymore. Even if the pick is a shot in the dark, we shouldn't be willing to give it up for a stopgap on a bad team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
No, but Granderson's age and the quality of the White Sox should.

Not to mention the 14 draft is supposed to be a very deep draft too. Also, pointing out all these #53 picks could also mean bad selections by teams at the #53 pick. I admit it is a crap shoot but one I'm fine with.

Wes Whisler

Craig Italiano

Chad Huffman

Kyle Lotzker

Seth Lintz

Brooks Pounders

Todd Cunningham

Dwight Smith

Collin Wiles

Andrew Knapp

That might be the worst justification ever. I get the argument of whether a draft pick or player is better for the franchise, but listing all of the picks at that specific spot? Unless you are making the argument that the Sox should forfeit the pick, it is bad.

Chase Headley was the 66th pick in 2005. Albert Pujols was a 13th round pick. Mike Piazza was a 62nd round pick. Yada yada yada

If teams knew guys were going to bomb, they wouldn't take them. The White Sox have a weak minor league system right now and need to improve it.

In a hypothetical situation, would people trade, say, Scott Snodgress for Jonny Gomes right now?

Wes Whisler

Craig Italiano

Chad Huffman

Kyle Lotzker

Seth Lintz

Brooks Pounders

Todd Cunningham

Dwight Smith

Collin Wiles

Andrew Knapp

The pick at #53 isn't the point. It's the $$ that are allotted to that spot. The Sox have a certain amount of money (about $10 million) that they are able to use for their top 10 picks. Lets say they pay the #3 overall pick somewhere in the $5 million range. That leaves $5 million for rest of 10 rounds. If you trade the 2nd rounder you also trade the amount of money that is slotted for that spot. You can't just use the $10 million for the remaining 9 spots. Signing Granderson would be a horrible decision. That's why talking about it is stupid. The organization isn't that dumb, at least I hope not.