2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Anybody else think this Freeman deal is a little steep? He still has 3 arb years left. I'm really surprised that they didn't wait at least one more year to see if the 2013 Freddie Freeman was the real Freddie Freeman. It just seems like a lot of money to guarantee a player that young after one good year.

I'm not really a fan of the deal. Last year was heads and shoulders above any of his previous 2 full seasons. He improved by 1 win from his freshman to sophomore year, and then he improved by 3 wins last year. That's a gigantic spike. And due to his .371 BABIP. Most of his numbers stayed the same in 2013 versus 2012, except his average spiked 60 pts, and his BABIP spiked 70 points.

I don't think Freeman is truly a 5 WAR player. I'd put him more around 3 wins. At $17M a year, he needs to be about 3.5 WAR every year. It's doable, but you usually expect to get a bargin when you buy out 3 years of a players arbitration. He is getting paid as if he was a free agent yesterday. Fair market value, but not something I'd give to a player with 3 arb years left.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
I'm not really a fan of the deal. Last year was heads and shoulders above any of his previous 2 full seasons. He improved by 1 win from his freshman to sophomore year, and then he improved by 3 wins last year. That's a gigantic spike. And due to his .371 BABIP. Most of his numbers stayed the same in 2013 versus 2012, except his average spiked 60 pts, and his BABIP spiked 70 points.

I don't think Freeman is truly a 5 WAR player. I'd put him more around 3 wins. At $17M a year, he needs to be about 3.5 WAR every year. It's doable, but you usually expect to get a bargin when you buy out 3 years of a players arbitration. He is getting paid as if he was a free agent yesterday. Fair market value, but not something I'd give to a player with 3 arb years left.

I feel as if Freeman doesn't have enough power to justify a huge contract. He's a good hitter, but until he gets his ISO above .200, I don't see him as a premier hitter at the 1B position.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
Jeter and Konerko retiring after this year. Let me guess...the Yankee will get the victory tour.

Considering how many people are actually mad Paulie is coming back, that shouldn't be an issue. Jeter is a first ballot HOFer. Paulie is not. Except for a couple of Gold Gloves, Jeter has earned his accolades in a place a lot of players wilt. If he wants one, he deserves a nice send off.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
The Jeter farewell tour is going to be awful. All season long.

And considering he played the majority of his career under the heavily unbalanced schedule, I really don't think teams outside the AL East should do anything for him. He played 68 games at the Cell. BFD. Great career, but this gift-giving, ceremony stuff has got to stop. Especially when it's so biased towards the Yankees. I hope the Sox ignore it unless the Yankees announce they're doing something for Konerko.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
As much as I love Konerko, Paulie isn't in the same stratosphere as Jeter.

I guess if you're in the top 1% instead of the top 2% of your profession and play in a bigger market, then you're more deserving and "classier".

It's BS. All of it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
I guess if you're in the top 1% instead of the top 2% of your profession and play in a bigger market, then you're more deserving and "classier".

It's BS. All of it.

Yeah, I have no idea what world that Paul Konerko would be considered on the same plane as Jeter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Yeah, I have no idea what world that Paul Konerko would be considered on the same plane as Jeter.

He's more famous and has more money. That makes him "classier", and therefore more deserving of gifts. Oh, and they can start engraving Jeter's name on the All Star Game MVP trophy right now. That's his.

Jeter came up as part of the group of new, power hitting shortstops in 1995. Garciaparra retired 5 years ago (and I am still extremely suspicious of his uprising), Alex Rodriguez is a walking circus, Miguel Tejada transformed from a power hitting behemoth of a shortstop to essentially a slap-hitting utility infielder, and then several others came and went much more quickly. Jeter was the only one who was pretty damn consistent throughout the course of his career while also being one of the best.

Paul Konerko was a good power hitting 1B in an era of good power hitting 1B.

I love Paully K, but he's not one of the all time greats. Jeter is. I don't care if the Sox don't do anything special for him other than a "Please rise and give a standing ovation for Derek Jeter," but he definitely deserves a league wide send off.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
He's more famous and has more money. That makes him "classier", and therefore more deserving of gifts. Oh, and they can start engraving Jeter's name on the All Star Game MVP trophy right now. That's his.

I'm not talking about any of that crap. The guy is a first ballot HOFer. Paul Konerko is a Hall of Very Good player.

Jeter has the magic qualifiers. 3300+ hits. .300+ average. Multiple World Series rings. ROY, tons of AS appearances, top 3 MVP balloting 3 times, All start MVP, World Series MVP....

I mean I know Jeter gets the irrational blowback because his love from the All-Things Yankees group, but the guy is clearly above Paul Konerko, and it isn't even really close.