2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
Is there a tie-breaker game? I thought if it ended in a tie Detroit wins the division because of the head-to-head record vs. KC?

In the old wild card format they skipped the tiebreaker if both teams still qualified for the playoffs. Now it's different since a wild card team can get eliminated after one game

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Santana looks like an incredibly good young player, like All-Star level. He's a definite keeper. I was really impressed with his range in CF.

yeah, he was called up on emergency from AA and stuck out of position in CF and just ran with it. Sounds like the Twins want to stick him at SS next year, they couldnt do that this year because Eddy Escobar was playing pretty good and didnt want to mess with that.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
yeah, he was called up on emergency from AA and stuck out of position in CF and just ran with it. Sounds like the Twins want to stick him at SS next year, they couldnt do that this year because Eddy Escobar was playing pretty good and didnt want to mess with that.

Personally, I think they need to stick with Escobar at SS too. I think he'll continue to improve defensively and he's already good enough with the bat. You keep Santana in CF and have Buxton play LF and that outfield defense is awesome.

They need more pitching, but their offense should be a top 3-5 offense in the majors next year. This year, it was already probably the 7th or 8th best, depending on how you want to measure it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
That is mind-blowing. I didn't think that'd ever happen.

Whoever is hired will only be the 3rd different Twins manager I will have seen in my life. I wonder if they're cleaning house or if Molitor is a guy they'll consider.

Their entire coaching staff is getting pink slipped.

edit.

They all were on one year deals. The new manager will pick his staff, so all, a few, or none may be back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
reading the tea leaves, it sounds like he really pissed off someone in the front office...

Maybe, but he and Terry Ryan are both going to be at the press conference. I think if he pissed someone off, that would be a little unusual. But if he did, it could make it very entertaining.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Gardy is known for not going by the book, and doing strange things. If the record remained the same, as much as a lot of people seem to think Ventura is a buffoon, they would think Gardy is worse.

He loves his slap hitting speedsters, has shown a tendency towards the sacrifice bunt and micromanaging his bullpen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Who is the Pirates pitching coach? Last year, he fixed Liriano. This year, Volquez.

I posted some good articles awhile back about the Pirates success with pitching and defense. Essentially, they are teaching all their starters to induce ground balls, which they then can take advantage of through extensive defensive positioning.