Juan Uribe 3B

59th street

After reviewing the extremely weak list of free agents at 3B and my reluctance to trade anything of value (pitching),it seems clear that Uribe is as close to a perfect fit for our hole at 3B. He is extremely good defensively and had a great year at the plate last year. I know he could regress offensively but we didn't get any offense from that spot last year so a little regression would still be an improvement and his D would certainly help support the pitching staff. He always seemed to be a good clubhouse guy and should only require 1 or 2 year deal. He would not require a draft pick as compensation. This seems almost too perfect. What am I missing, or is this the right guy for us to go get?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pass. He was terrible in 2011 & 2012, and at 34 years old, I can't expect we will see good 2013 Juan more than old, aging Juan. He doesn't even make sense as a platoon player against left-handed pitching, as he has always historically been better against righties. I actually think the Sox are better with Keppinger/Semien against left-handers and Gillaspie against righties.

Love Uribe and all and there's no doubt he would be an upgrade at third but don't the Sox have enuff RHB in the lineup? Semien is one thing being young and all but signing Uribe would would be signing him just for the sake of signing him, doesn't really make sense considering the Sox are going with youth during the retooling that's going on.

As I said a few hours ago in another thread, I would love to bring Uribe in on a 2 year deal, especially at the price that MLBTR suggests, which is 2 yrs/$12M. Uribe was worth 5.1 WAR last season, which is incredible and also unlikely to duplicate next season. However, if he even has HALF the season he did last year, he will easily be worth $6M a year. I'm not saying we get Uribe because I think he is in our future, because at his age he is not, but adding Uribe, a new catcher, and possibly a good CF for next season could allow this team to make a run in our division if we get some 2012 magic again. Because at the very least, we should be able to flip Uribe at the deadline to some team for a couple prospects, and that's a model I can get behind to help rebuild this system.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
As I said a few hours ago in another thread, I would love to bring Uribe in on a 2 year deal, especially at the price that MLBTR suggests, which is 2 yrs/$12M. Uribe was worth 5.1 WAR last season, which is incredible and also unlikely to duplicate next season. However, if he even has HALF the season he did last year, he will easily be worth $6M a year. I'm not saying we get Uribe because I think he is in our future, because at his age he is not, but adding Uribe, a new catcher, and possibly a good CF for next season could allow this team to make a run in our division if we get some 2012 magic again. Because at the very least, we should be able to flip Uribe at the deadline to some team for a couple prospects, and that's a model I can get behind to help rebuild this system.

Having had him on my team before...I can't imagine how signing Juan Uribe for 2/$12 would be anything other than a worse contract than Keppinger.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
Love Uribe and all and there's no doubt he would be an upgrade at third but don't the Sox have enuff RHB in the lineup? Semien is one thing being young and all but signing Uribe would would be signing him just for the sake of signing him, doesn't really make sense considering the Sox are going with youth during the retooling that's going on.

It is the "upgrade at third" part that makes me want to consider this. I may be overly optimistic but with a few "upgrades" at 3B and catcher and the expected middle of the order impact of Garcia and Abreau we are not entirely in a retool youth movement but a compete now mode. I also like Gillespie as a development 3B and see Semien as the guy pushing Beckham at 2B. The pitching is good enough to compete now, why not solidify the defense without busting the budget or losing a draft pick and see if the 2014 White Sox can recapture what they were like in 2012. It just seems like a low cost/possible high return opportunity.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)
Having had him on my team before...I can't imagine how signing Juan Uribe for 2/$12 would be anything other than a worse contract than Keppinger.

Seriously, that would be an awful contract. I wouldn't give him more than $6m over 2 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
I watched him put up 0.8 fWAR over 2 years combined during his prime years and a ton of that clue was positional adjustment. I could.

Shall we make a bet of which number Uribe comes closer to next year? 5.1 or -1.5? For those not very privy to math, the middle point there is 1.8. Or instead shall we bet on whether he ends up being "worth" $6M next year, which would mean he would need about a 1.2 WAR (according to Fangraph's value of a win).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)

It is always difficult to project what the market wiill pay for a free agent. I would never suggest a 4 year deal (like Keppinger got) but would hope we would explore a one year deal with an option/ buyout. If the market provides a multi year deal is what it will take to get Uribe then I agree, pass. I just think it is worth having the conversation with his representatives as he could be a nice fit with no long term commitment or loss of compensation pick.

Plus I enjoy hearing the views of other Sox fans on how we can bounce back from last years disaster.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Shall we make a bet of which number Uribe comes closer to next year? 5.1 or -1.5? For those not very privy to math, the middle point there is 1.8. Or instead shall we bet on whether he ends up being "worth" $6M next year, which would mean he would need about a 1.2 WAR (according to Fangraph's value of a win).

I'll take the under on 1.8.

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
It is the "upgrade at third" part that makes me want to consider this. I may be overly optimistic but with a few "upgrades" at 3B and catcher and the expected middle of the order impact of Garcia and Abreau we are not entirely in a retool youth movement but a compete now mode. I also like Gillespie as a development 3B and see Semien as the guy pushing Beckham at 2B. The pitching is good enough to compete now, why not solidify the defense without busting the budget or losing a draft pick and see if the 2014 White Sox can recapture what they were like in 2012. It just seems like a low cost/possible high return opportunity.

I hear ya and agree except what happens if Uribe's numbers fall? Gonna be difficult to trade him away and now the Sox are stuck with his salary while he blocks Semien or whomever we might get in a trade to play third. Last I read Rick had visions of Semien playing third so I wouldn't want to block that position.

If the Sox trade Gordon and start Kepp at second we might be able trade Kepp at the deadline and open up second for Semien. I can see getting Uribe if thats the plan but this doesn't help lack of LHB in the lineup. With so many holes to fill I just don't see the Sox contending next year so let the younger talent play and see what we have.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)

In 13 seasons, Uribe has had 0.5 WAR or less six times and one season at 1.1. So I would say it's very possible he won't even be worth the $6 million.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
I'd give anything to have Uribe replace the Kepp/Gillaspie duo for one year.

Come on, Greg. Think about your statement. You want to pay Juan Uribe, who is 34 years old, $6 million a year to most likely give you what Keppinger and Gillaspie will. I like Juan, too, and he was awesome for the team in 2005...that will be nine years ago. He had a great 2013, but his 2011 and 2012 seasons were not so good.

And again, this team should not be looking for a one year "solution", especially for a position like 3B. They shouldn't settle for Juan Uribe for a year if all he's going to do is be a one man version of Keppinger and Gillaspie.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
Come on, Greg. Think about your statement. You want to pay Juan Uribe, who is 34 years old, $6 million a year to most likely give you what Keppinger and Gillaspie will. I like Juan, too, and he was awesome for the team in 2005...that will be nine years ago. He had a great 2013, but his 2011 and 2012 seasons were not so good.

And again, this team should not be looking for a one year "solution", especially for a position like 3B. They shouldn't settle for Juan Uribe for a year if all he's going to do is be a one man version of Keppinger and Gillaspie.

Agree with this. Gillaspie still has some potential and if Hahn can't find a legitimate long-term upgrade, he should be given every opportunity to be the strong half of a platoon at 3B. And while Keppinger was beyond terrible last season, he should still be a useful player against LHP going forward. I'm not in love with a Gillaspinger platoon by any means, but it's not worth using our limited sources for a minimal upgrade at 3B like Uribe. We should be using that money to fill a bigger hole for us which is catcher.