Jonathan Mayo Mock Draft

dayan024

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself flip flopping back and forth between Hoffman and Kolek at this time. I lean towards Kolek but he is committed so I would hate to waste a #3 pick on a kid that goes to college.

Spring will bring another season of college and HS baseball so who knows how the draft pick status will change. Some likely rise and some likely fall.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
I find myself flip flopping back and forth between Hoffman and Kolek at this time. I lean towards Kolek but he is committed so I would hate to waste a #3 pick on a kid that goes to college.

Spring will bring another season of college and HS baseball so who knows how the draft pick status will change. Some likely rise and some likely fall.

At the #3 draft slot money I would think it would highly highly unlikely a HS kid would turn that down.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
I think if Hoffman ends up being there they have to take him. I would be fine with Trea Turner. Alex Jackson would make me the most excited I think.

Callis seems to be very high on Hoffman. He says that if anyone has a chance to overcome Rodon, it would be him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Wouldn't hate it, but I've been coming around on Turner. I'd really love the dynamic of Turner and Micah Johnson reeking havoc at the top of the lineup.

I really feel the same way. Nervous about taking a high school pitcher, barring some injury this spring, I'm for Turner as well.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)

A prep player popped 3rd overall is undoubtedly going to sign.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 36m

Next year's Draft deeper, packed with pitchers http://atmlb.com/1d2Jjcd via @whitesox

"Rodon is the best college left-hander since David Price"

I hope he is saying that meaning the most highly touted. Because I think Chris Sale would be ahead of Price at this point, albiet it would be close.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
So now that we've seen some teams forfeit their first round picks and resign with their original teams, what has our second round pick moved up to?

It shouldn't move any spots, should it? Because any pick exchanges take place before the 2nd RD, so any team that loses a pick, another team gains in front of the 2nd RD anyway, right?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
It shouldn't move any spots, should it? Because any pick exchanges take place before the 2nd RD, so any team that loses a pick, another team gains in front of the 2nd RD anyway, right?

At the very least, when someone resigns with a team they already played for they lose the compensation pick right?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
At the very least, when someone resigns with a team they already played for they lose the compensation pick right?

That's true. There won't be a comp pick for Napoli for example. Same with Kuroda. Don't the Yanks actually get a pretty good deal overall? The Yanks lose their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rd picks because of signing Beltran, McCann, and Ellsbury. They receive 2 comp round picks for Granderson and Cano though, correct? So they will still have 2 top 50 selections and the 3 big name free agents?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
With the recent additions of Eaton and Davidson, does the change our outlook on the draft? Go after best pitcher available?

If there's an obvious guy to take at 3, they should take that player no matter what position.

Quite frankly, I trust the White Sox when it comes to pitching. So I hope it ends up being an #1 starter talent that will be behind Sale in 2016.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
With the recent additions of Eaton and Davidson, does the change our outlook on the draft? Go after best pitcher available?

The answer should have been best player available regardless. In MLB draft you may target things your system needs in the middle rounds, but the top of the draft usually is highest-ceiling guys who are still 2-3 years away from the bigs even if they're in college.

By the time anyone you draft is pushing the big leagues, your roster is likely to look very different.

The Sox could use the middle rounds to focus on adding a couple extra catchers if they think there's a need there because they only have really 1 obvious long-term candidate at lower levels (Ayala), but then many of their positions look pretty weak right now so you don't want to overdraft too much.

I would rate them:

1. Rodon

2. Hoffman

3. Jackson

4. Gatewood

5. Turner

Any of them are good/great. I think Jackson and Gatewood jump over Turner because of the possibility of being elite bats, but Turner has a higher floor. I think the Sox end up with Hoffman or Jackson unless Rodon can't pitch this spring. In the second round I like Jeren Kendall and Ti'Quan Forbes.