The AJP- Class act...

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Beckham's wife*** and also why did A.J. have to let her on? Why is it on him? I never ever heard the story

He didn't have to. Under Ozzie only wives were allowed to ride on the team plane on the road. Under Ventura, he allowed the younger guys to hve their girlfriends on the team plane. It was reported by Barry Rozner and Matt Spiegel that AJ defiantly objected to these new rules and made a stink over them. It was also reported that AJ was a pain in Ventura's ass. That's fine but another reason why he is gone now. The plane thing is ridiculous. It takes someone with pretty thin skin that just "wants to be angry" to be upset about that in my opinion.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
The AJ haters hate Hawk too.

BTW I've got a whole line up of bulls*** sources too, I just don't quote them.

AJ is a legend and a helluva competitor, wish he was back. He's the smartest position player we've had in a long time and whatever his attitude is like on and off the field, we need more of it.

No.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Ha.

WTF does Beckham's girlfriend need to be on the team plane for? Was there some dire situation where that was the only way she could get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible? Beckham can use all that draft bonus money and arb salary he hasn't lived up to and buy her a first class ticket.

AJ knows how this game is played. AJ knows how a team is supposed to be run, how a clubhouse is supposed to work, he knows both the rule book and all the rules that aren't written in there but should be.

Beckham's girlfriend scenario, IF true, would be what you call an error of omission, not an error of commission, by Robin. Robin doesn't necessarily get nicked for it in the media because no one is scoring on it, but AJ is right in taking corrective action because it is the type of error that can lead to a whole host of greater mistakes later on. It's also laziness & lack of leadership to allow an unestablished and overall a fairly unimportant player such privileges. In fact, not having AJ around to help Robin along may have contributed to last team's horrible season. And IF there is truth to this, then I also believe that Beckham's girlfriend may have cursed this team in which case the plane should be thoroughly washed and blessed by several priests and Minnie Minoso and Steve Stone too just to cover all the bases.

He knows nothing about being a good teammate. Everything else you said is true. He knows the game and is an outstanding player. It's not a shock that he left Texas. He will not be in Boston long either.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
Article says if Napoli comes back AJ intends to wear #40 to honor Hawk, who wore #40 during his run with the BoSox.

Just wanted to provide the link, pretty cool if you ask me on AJ's part. You can hate the guy but he bleed black and silver for us and will go down as one of my favorite players ever. Always went about the game the right way, and I loved seeing the oddities he would create during games by his knowledge of the game. Thanks again AJ for your years on the South Side and continuing to honor those who supported you from day one in this city, and it really did start with Hawk.

Link:

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/pierzy...&ocid=yahoo

Hawk has known AJ since high school and has done alot to help him in baseball. It's not surprising that AJ would do something like this for him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
It's one of them. Nobody is bashing AJ. I liked him on the White Sox. He was one of my favorite players on the team. He's not a class act though. And pretending like he is some great person doesn't do anything for me.

Great post. A.J. will always be one of my favorites for what he did on the field, but clearly he was/is a s***ty teammate off it. Not sure why some people refuse to accept this.

This talk of AJP being a prick amuses me. Do you know how many assholes are in professional baseball?? Who gives a f*** if he nixed the girlfriends? I'll take 20 AJ's on my team any day and maybe my team would win something. Sox missed him GREATLY IMO last year!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:47 AM)
Great post. A.J. will always be one of my favorites for what he did on the field, but clearly he was/is a s***ty teammate off it. Not sure why some people refuse to accept this.

Why the hell was he a s***ty teammate? He sounds like a team leader to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
For what he is doing for Hawk. I'm speechless. AJP is total class.

GMAFB.

Speechless? People wear numbers to honor friends/idols all the time. Jordan wore 45 for his brother and I doubt people were speechless then, even though a brother is much closer than an announcer.

And AJ is a complete asshole. When he was here, he was our asshole so that made him cool.

But don't go around making him out to be some saint that brings winning with him wherever he goes.

"A lot of people have this bad image of A.J. in general, it seems around the league, but the guy is one of the greatest guys when he needs to be," Beckham said. "It's something nobody sees. He can be a really great friend. He was there for me in tough situations off the field and was a big-time mentor. So, it's tough to see him go."

What a s***ty teammate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:01 AM)
"A lot of people have this bad image of A.J. in general, it seems around the league, but the guy is one of the greatest guys when he needs to be," Beckham said. "It's something nobody sees. He can be a really great friend. He was there for me in tough situations off the field and was a big-time mentor. So, it's tough to see him go."

What a s***ty teammate.

Dick Allen to the rescue! Quick, someone is ripping Greg Walker in the general MLB thread!

But seriously, not sure how one random quote changes anything. Most guys are going to follow clubhouse rules and not rip their former teammate to the press. For example, you're not going to hear Beckham crying to the beat reporters about how A.J. didn't want to let his girlfriend fly on the team plane. What happened in San Francisco should be very telling. Even more so should be what patc has told us all. He has insights into the clubhouse that the rest of us just speculate about and he's told us time and time again that A.J. is a s***ty teammate. I'll take his word over what any of us can find out through random google searches.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:01 AM)

What a s***ty teammate.

It's what turned Beckham into the player he is today.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
Dick Allen to the rescue! Quick, someone is ripping Greg Walker in the general MLB thread!

But seriously, not sure how one random quote changes anything. Most guys are going to follow clubhouse rules and not rip their former teammate to the press. For example, you're not going to hear Beckham crying to the beat reporters about how A.J. didn't want to let his girlfriend fly on the team plane. What happened in San Francisco should be very telling. Even more so should be what patc has told us all. He has insights into the clubhouse that the rest of us just speculate about and he's told us time and time again that A.J. is a s***ty teammate. I'll take his word over what any of us can find out through random google searches.

Jason Schmidt on the Giants days

Schmidt comes close to apologizing for the way the Giants treated Pierzynski. "His numbers were great with me, no doubt," he says. "He didn't get enough credit. It's just that when he came in here, we heard all this stuff about him … we just never gave him the opportunity to prove it wrong. I'll always feel bad about that."

It would be different if there were some other quotes about what a bad guy he is, you would think there would be several. I am sure he is no angel, but neither is anyone. He has probably been an ass many times, but who hasn't? I will go with Dunn's quote, he is no more an asshole than anyone else.

Don't believe what any of his current or ex teammates say. He is a s***ty teammate. If anything, the perception about AJ is he is a difficult guy. Even most of the people ripping concede he is a great teammate.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:48 AM)
Jason Schmidt on the Giants days

Schmidt comes close to apologizing for the way the Giants treated Pierzynski. "His numbers were great with me, no doubt," he says. "He didn't get enough credit. It's just that when he came in here, we heard all this stuff about him … we just never gave him the opportunity to prove it wrong. I'll always feel bad about that."

It would be different if there were some other quotes about what a bad guy he is, you would think there would be several. I am sure he is no angel, but neither is anyone. He has probably been an ass many times, but who hasn't? I will go with Dunn's quote, he is no more an asshole than anyone else.

Don't believe what any of his current or ex teammates say. He is a s***ty teammate. If anything, the perception about AJ is he is a difficult guy. Even most of the people ripping concede he is a great teammate.

Another random quote courtesy of google. He must be a great teamate, you've found two pieces of evidence on the internet that supports that claim.

Again, I'll trust the words of patc and other people with insights to the clubhouse rather than a fan with a bias for the player searching for the truth on google.

Guys get reputations. Stuff gets repeated and repeated until people think it's true. Fans grab "inside information" and keep repeating it. I doubt he's anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be, and I'll bet he has mellowed in the past ten years. I'd like to take the time to check who was defending Martin in the NFL thread. How can people defend Martin then rip on AJP?

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:36 AM)
Guys get reputations. Stuff gets repeated and repeated until people think it's true. Fans grab "inside information" and keep repeating it. I doubt he's anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be, and I'll bet he has mellowed in the past ten years. I'd like to take the time to check who was defending Martin in the NFL thread. How can people defend Martin then rip on AJP?

See Carl Everett.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Ha, we just signed a coke head & 3 comments into a thread about 1 Sox legend honoring another there is more crap on AJ. It took like 2 pages before anyone even mentioned coke in that other thread.

Going away from what your main point is here, but a question for all:

What's more classy (i.e. less violative of others' happiness):

(1) deciding to use coke

(2) stomping on Justin Morneau's foot at first

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
Going away from what your main point is here, but a question for all:

What's more classy (i.e. less violative of others' happiness):

(1) deciding to use coke

(2) stomping on Justin Morneau's foot at first

Personally I would have gone with kicking his trainer in the nuts for asking if he was hurt.

No one will ever change my mind about AJP. You can do whatever you want. I think criticizing him is almost sacriligious. OK I know that's the wrong word, he's not a religious figure. Criticizing him I think is ... ridiculous. Can't think of the right word. I praise him and applaud him as a Sox fan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
No one will ever change my mind about AJP. You can do whatever you want. I think criticizing him is almost sacriligious. OK I know that's the wrong word, he's not a religious figure. Criticizing him I think is ... ridiculous. Can't think of the right word. I praise him and applaud him as a Sox fan.

I can't believe I used to defend you. You're annoying as all f***ing hell. We get it. 2005FOUREVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA

AND EVA

Ptatc is probably deserving of the benefit of the doubt here. I'm not saying he's a liar, he's one of our best posters & obviously he believes he's telling the truth. He probably even is. Maybe AJ isn't exactly a "perfect" teammate.

But let's just go back in time for a sec here. We all remember that dropped third strike against the Angels which helped win us the game, kept us on our roll and ultimately resulted in a World Series Championship, but some of our younger fans may not know or remember that the opposing catcher in that situation who cost the Angels the game happened to be Josh Paul, who was one of many complete horses*** catchers that Sox fans had to suffer through during that long drought between Fisk and AJ. That play is emblematic of pretty much the entirety of the Sox catching situation during that period and it is also emblematic of pretty much the entire Sox team attitude during those years: stupid as Bevington, careless as Manuel, lackadaisical and under-committed like the entire unbalanced homer happy offense, etc. AJ coming here was the absolute best thing that could have happened, and we won a title in large part because of it.

AJ is gone now. We're not a better team without him, but he's still gone. He's gone from our world. And when important people are gone from your world shouldn't you remember them for the best things that they did? Shouldn't you first think of their greatest moments before everything else? Shouldn't you choose to remember him more as you would have wanted him to be when you weren't there rather than how he may have been when you still weren't there but wish you were? For such a significant piece of Sox history, shouldn't we all just bury our heads in the sand when it comes to all this "clubhouse" malarkey and choose to remember him as a hero? Of course we should.

And as far as Hawk being honored somehow not being a classy move, let's first consider what season we're in now. Now is a time for thinking about others. Imagine what this great tribute feels like if you're Hawk. Imagine you're sitting there in front of the fire, cozy & tucked into your loud multicolored flannel suit, sipping your beverage and thinking about what you might get yourself for Christmas this year as you gaze up at that giant stuffed bird which you also bought for yourself several decades ago to symbolize your human greatness - imagine you're sitting there when the phone rings, and it's your old buddy AJ, and he says he's going to wear your old #40 just for you, because you mean so much, and because he feels you deserve it. How great does this make Hawk feel? Think of that! It won't even matter how big his gift under the tree is this year, nor how expensive or superficial or self-gratifying, because the greatest gift has been given to him, it's right there his heart, to Hawk from your old pal AJ. For f***s sake people if that doesn't warm your f***in heart I don't know what could.

Let's just cut it out from here on out. No more crap about AJ. You don't have to say he was a great teammate, but you don't have to say he was a bad one either. Let's treat him like the hero he is. It's the holiday season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
I can't believe I used to defend you. You're annoying as all f***ing hell. We get it. 2005FOUREVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA AND EVA

AND EVA

980.gif