Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

Not that excited about Murphy, but then again I'm also not very excited about Flowers, P hegley, or Nieto. I think if we add a catcher, Flowers is gone with Nieto, Phegley, Gimenez battling for the backup spot (or 2 of those 3 make the team if new catcher needs a little minor league time).

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
J.R. Murphy is not very good, I don't know why anyone would give up anything of value for him. I'd rather have Phegley and Nieto.

When was the last time the Sox had a catcher who put up a .773 OPS at AAA as a 22 year old? For example, did Phegley do that?

A few years ago, Gordon Beckham was the second base choice for Harold Reynolds on a 'future hall of famers' segment for mlb network. Maybe it was 3b (even more hilarious)

Oh how times have changed, mountains crumbled, slayers themselves..slayed. i dont want to lose your high ceiling promise, ton-iii-iight.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
A few years ago, Gordon Beckham was the second base choice for Harold Reynolds on a 'future hall of famers' segment for mlb network. Maybe it was 3b (even more hilarious)

Oh how times have changed, mountains crumbled, slayers themselves..slayed. i dont want to lose your high ceiling promise, ton-iii-iight.

SI projected him a a player of the decade.

With over 4 years of service time, Beckham will be a free agent in 2016.

Assuming that he has that breakout year, would you be willing to offer him one of those insane contracts, being handed out to free agents?

I hope that he has a good year, and that the Sox can move him for someone of value, who is cost controlled for a few years.

Unless he were to offer a "home town discount", it wouldn't seem like a good gamble, even if he has that "break out" year.

There isn't enough time for him to demonstrate that he's a consistently good offensive player, before he gets to free agency.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
His defense last year was barely above average and it's getting worse every year.

Up until last year it was well above average. He also had a hand injury which could very have limited some of his defensive abilities.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
And he played with a bad quad. He'll shut some people up in 2014 if he can stay healthy.

That's right. I forgot about that one. Since defense has been his only real asset, he needs to bounce back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Good. Because right now I'm expecting him to be replaced by a rookie before the end of this season.

That should be the way it is. He has had more than enough opportunities. There just hadn't really been a legitimate challenge for his position. ?

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Think he'll finally learn how to pull the ball? There are no data remotely suggesting a "breakout" -- you all need to stop talking out of your ass and give up on the dream.

It's going to be 2014. Wow.

It's been a long ass time since the 2008 draft.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)

It was actually their "All-Decade" team for the 2010-2019 decade, not future HOFers.

The list was.....

C - Mauer

1B - Fielder

2B - Beckham

SS - Hanley

3B - Longoria

LF - Braun

CF - Justin Upton

RF - Heyward

LHP - Felix

RHP - Lester

They predicted Beckham to hit more HR than Upton over this time period. So far Upton has 91, Beckham has 40.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Think he'll finally learn how to pull the ball? There are no data remotely suggesting a "breakout" -- you all need to stop talking out of your ass and give up on the dream.

He hit 16 homers in 2012, and in 2013 was hitting over .300 in the middle of August when he went down with the quad. His wrist injury zapped his power. If he stays healthy, and that is a huge if, a lot of people are going to be surprised, and even some haters will flip and say they knew he had it in him all along.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)

Before you make any more illiterate statements, here are the facts on Beckham last year:

1. Played the first 7 games of the season and was hitting .316 when he broke the hamate bone in his wrist. Was put on the DL, had surgery and did not play again until June 3rd.

2. From June 3rd through July 26th he raised his average to .320. On July 26th he aggravated the same wrist, but began to play through the pain. He was still hitting over .300 (.310) on August 15th, when he suffered a quad strain.

3. From that point on, his average began to drop, and he was absolutely awful in September.

Maybe you see something different than real baseball fans, but Beckham was having a breakout season last year before he aggravated the wrist and suffered the quad strain. Ventura said Beckham was "hurting" most of the year.

There are many things to dislike about the 2012 White Sox, but Gordon Beckham's efforts to continue playing while suffereing from two separate injuries should not be one of them.