2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
I hated GoT last night. WTF are those story lines?

My least favorite scene was littlefinger having to spell this s*** out to Sansa for the second week in a row. Like...really Sansa? He told you this a week ago. What do you think he was doing with that necklace?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
My least favorite scene was littlefinger having to spell this s*** out to Sansa for the second week in a row. Like...really Sansa? He told you this a week ago. What do you think he was doing with that necklace?

In the books

doesn't she become a Littlefinger 2.0 pretty early on, and especially once they get to the Eyre? I feel like the show made her a lot dumber than she is portrayed in the book.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I enjoyed the finale, but this last season sucked. They re-did a bunch of the same story lines (unity concert = fall festival or whatever it was called) and the funny moments were few and far between. The dude that yells at people in the street is not funny, he's obnoxious. A guest appearance would have been fine but becoming a secondary character was too much. He's the male version of April I think April sucks balls.

It would have been awesome if Lesley had taken the job and moved on. Or, better yet, if they had ended the show now, before NBC drives it into the ground like they did with The Office.

I disagree with nearly all of this.

I really enjoyed this season. I laugh every time Craig starts yelling, even if he is an extremely shallow 1 dimensional character (who cares, he's barely even a person). And I love April, as I think most people do.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
I enjoyed the finale, but this last season sucked. They re-did a bunch of the same story lines (unity concert = fall festival or whatever it was called) and the funny moments were few and far between. The dude that yells at people in the street is not funny, he's obnoxious. A guest appearance would have been fine but becoming a secondary character was too much. He's the male version of April I think April sucks balls.

It would have been awesome if Lesley had taken the job and moved on. Or, better yet, if they had ended the show now, before NBC drives it into the ground like they did with The Office.

Do you hate all the TV shows you watch?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
In the books

doesn't she become a Littlefinger 2.0 pretty early on, and especially once they get to the Eyre? I feel like the show made her a lot dumber than she is portrayed in the book.

Yeah I would agree with that

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)

I think that scene was really more for the audience if they hadn't completely connected the dots yet.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
They finally put season 3 of The Inbetweeners on Netflix. This show cracks me up.

I never knew there was a 3rd season. That show is a riot. I finally saw the movie a while back too. Those goofie kids.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
I never knew there was a 3rd season. That show is a riot. I finally saw the movie a while back too. Those goofie kids.

It aired in like 2010. No clue why it took so long to get added. First 3 of S3 had me rolling.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
You're crazy. That was phenomenal episode. I love the deviations. The 4th and 5th book pretty much suck. I want to get through those storylines ASAP.

There's still TONS of good Storm of Swords stuff they have to get through.

Plus they have kind of a clusterf*** with Jon now where he has to go save Bran (I guess) and then get back to the wall for the battle. Plus are they even doing Coldhands? They don't really need him to save their ass since Jon is heading there. Not to mention this Locke character they invented has to be dealt with.

That kind of filler would likely be much more useful next season when they don't have as many major events to work with.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
There's still TONS of good Storm of Swords stuff they have to get through.

Plus they have kind of a clusterf*** with Jon now where he has to go save Bran (I guess) and then get back to the wall for the battle. Plus are they even doing Coldhands? They don't really need him to save their ass since Jon is heading there. Not to mention this Locke character they invented has to be dealt with.

That kind of filler would likely be much more useful next season when they don't have as many major events to work with.

They're not telling the story in a linear fashion like in the books. Dany and Bran's story have both already gone into Feast and Dance territory. The writers aren't going to have a clusterf*** because they know the story. They can tell it however they see fit. It's Game of Thrones, not A Song of Ice and Fire.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
They're not telling the story in a linear fashion like in the books. Dany and Bran's story have both already gone into Feast and Dance territory. The writers aren't going to have a clusterf*** because they know the story. They can tell it however they see fit. It's Game of Thrones, not A Song of Ice and Fire.

You obviously can't tell it EXACTLY like it is in the books because 4 and 5 are basically concurrent. However, if you've read the books, you know there are issues once they finish the SoS material. What are they going to do, start making s*** up after

Tyrion escapes and Jon becomes Lord Commander?

They signed on for two more seasons, and it's going to lose a lot of steam if we have two years of

Brienne wandering the realm, Bran becoming a tree, Danny sitting on her ass in Mereen and Arya training.

That's why I'm not sure why they're getting into FfC and DwD stuff on some of these storylines, unless they know WoW is coming out soon or already have a really good outline.

I'm not one of those people that freaks out because Daario's hair isn't blue, but I want the show to keep being good and that will be tricky once they reach the tipping point. Again, this is assuming WoW isn't out anytime soon, and I tend to be pessimistic on those things.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
You obviously can't tell it EXACTLY like it is in the books because 4 and 5 are basically concurrent. However, if you've read the books, you know there are issues once they finish the SoS material. What are they going to do, start making s*** up after

Tyrion escapes and Jon becomes Lord Commander?

They signed on for two more seasons, and it's going to lose a lot of steam if we have two years of

Brienne wandering the realm, Bran becoming a tree, Danny sitting on her ass in Mereen and Arya training.

That's why I'm not sure why they're getting into FfC and DwD stuff on some of these storylines, unless they know WoW is coming out soon or already have a really good outline.

I'm not one of those people that freaks out because Daario's hair isn't blue, but I want the show to keep being good and that will be tricky once they reach the tipping point. Again, this is assuming WoW isn't out anytime soon, and I tend to be pessimistic on those things.

They're going to pass the books and they don't care. The show runners know what happens.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
They're going to pass the books and they don't care. The show runners know what happens.

I think they care given that they follow them pretty closely (with some obvious exceptions) and most of their changes are removing characters/simplifying stuff due to time constraints. George also still writes significant episodes. However, they can't wait forever obviously.

I have no idea how much they know. That's obviously a consideration. If it's basically "everbody dies" or something along those lines, that's a lot of stuff to fill in.

I fully expect to see more of these story lines come up, as mentioned they flat out need more exciting material to balance out the drawn out aspects of Feast and Dance.

That said, I was torn on the Jon/Craster story:

1) The timing. The raiding party has to be like a day, maybe 3, away. So Jon leaves with fighters to travel on a 120 mile round trip expedition? So either the raiding party just sits around (why??) or they somehow get to Crasters in record speed.

2) Where is Cold Hands? I got so excited at the end of the episode when the rider appeared thinking it was him for a second. That would be a good character to add right about now. Maybe Locke is replacing him?

3) Where is Donal Noye? Another character I liked that would add some interest to the show. He doesnt need to only have 1 arm, just be a respected person who can help counter Alliser's command.

All that said though, I'm interested to see where these stories go and I do think it's good overall for the direction of the show. They just need to make sure that the deviations make sense and fit into the main story. Build the characters more, add excitement, but dont take away from the books' good stories.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
I think they care given that they follow them pretty closely (with some obvious exceptions) and most of their changes are removing characters/simplifying stuff due to time constraints. George also still writes significant episodes. However, they can't wait forever obviously.

I have no idea how much they know. That's obviously a consideration. If it's basically "everbody dies" or something along those lines, that's a lot of stuff to fill in.

They met with Martin last year to get the details for how the story will play out. There's no chance the show doesn't pass the books. HBO owns the rights to the story now. Martin is a contributor, but has no say in how the show plays out. If you don't want to spoiled, stop watching. They'll be in WOW territory next year.

Also, there won't be Coldhands. His character is just a vehicle to get Bran to Bloodraven.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
They met with Martin last year to get the details for how the story will play out. There's no chance the show doesn't pass the books. HBO owns the rights to the story now. Martin is a contributor, but has no say in how the show plays out. If you don't want to spoiled, stop watching. They'll be in WOW territory next year.

Also, there won't be Coldhands. His character is just a vehicle to get Bran to Bloodraven.

I doubt they move THAT fast. They still have like a third of SoS. There are SOME things that happen in FfC and DwD.

Last Week Tonight was good, pretty much what I expected: The Daily Show, but on HBO. I'm hoping it takes on a more serious tone than the Daily Show though, Oliver could really pull it off. A witty, comedic news show instead of a news-oriented comedy show.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
Last Week Tonight was good, pretty much what I expected: The Daily Show, but on HBO. I'm hoping it takes on a more serious tone than the Daily Show though, Oliver could really pull it off. A witty, comedic news show instead of a news-oriented comedy show.

I just watched that tonight too. I liked it. He had a couple liners that had me rolling, I can't remember what they were though.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
You're crazy. That was phenomenal episode. I love the deviations. The 4th and 5th book pretty much suck. I want to get through those storylines ASAP.

I disagree on the books. I loved them all.