Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Read the CSN article . He was on track to become a 1st round pick , spent too much time in the weight room, lost velocity , Sox took him in 2nd round. Now he say's he lost that weight room weight and the velocity is coming back to go along with 3 other pitches. He ended in year in AA and I think he helped the Barons win the Southern League championship. Yep he did http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...sp&sid=l111

More than the weight, the flexibility is probably the most important thing to a pitcher.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Read the CSN article . He was on track to become a 1st round pick , spent too much time in the weight room, lost velocity , Sox took him in 2nd round. Now he say's he lost that weight room weight and the velocity is coming back to go along with 3 other pitches. He ended in year in AA and I think he helped the Barons win the Southern League championship. Yep he did http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...sp&sid=l111

I'm aware of all that, but when pitchers lose velocity, it's typically gone for good. Although, according to this article, Beck was actually working in the low to mid 90's in High-A, which makes his inept strikeout rate even more concerning.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
I'm aware of all that, but when pitchers lose velocity, it's typically gone for good. Although, according to this article, Beck was actually working in the low to mid 90's in High-A, which makes his inept strikeout rate even more concerning.

His K rate in an admittedly-short AA stint was not all that inept. I wouldn't read too much into his WS numbers. He may have been working on inducing grounders or something, as evidenced by his stellar GO/FO ratio

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

It is also worth noting that his K rate did accelerate as the season went on. Changing your body type isn't an overnight process. If you read the original article, they make it clear that this is still an on-going process that they are still seeing new results from.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...s-beck-thriving More about Beck and his off season conditioning program. All sounds very encouraging.

NOOOOOO that's the first "best shape of his life" article I've read all year.

I like how they used the word "smartest" to throw us off the scent.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

No, I don't think so. If the stuff is there, then it will come through eventually, and this is a guy that was once touted as a possible top 5-10 pick in the draft who fell due to conditioning concerns. If those have improved, then it's a matter of execution. That's what I want to see.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
I'd like to see Dunn bat 7th or something. Let Abreu clear the bases.

Yeah, that would be a waste of Dunn's bat. It's still very likely that Dunn will be the Sox 2nd best bat, and he could easily be the best option against RHP.

Nieto was interviewed on Comcast yesterday and I was surprised to find out that he has a strong grasp of the english language, to the point where he has a very slight accent.

He is very appreciative of the opportunity the white sox have given him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Nieto was interviewed on Comcast yesterday and I was surprised to find out that he has a strong grasp of the english language, to the point where he has a very slight accent.

He is very appreciative of the opportunity the white sox have given him

He grew up in south Florida. Went to high school with Hosmer, I believe.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
You need Dunn higher up to break up the big right handed bats of Garcia, Abreu and Viciedo.

Yep, this. As currently constructed, I'd do this

L Eaton

R Garcia

L Dunn

R Abreu

L De Aza/Gillaspie

R Viciedo

R Ramirez

R Nieto/Flowers/Phegley/whatever

R Beckham/Keppinger/whatever

From CSN. If the Sox suck this year, please don't blame spring training again.

The White Sox have pushed their players harder than in past years in order to get them focused during workouts. Ventura said he and his coaches have taken a strict approach to practices and players have responded. General manager Rick Hahn is pleased with how the pre-exhibition games portion of spring training has been run.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
From CSN. If the Sox suck this year, please don't blame spring training again.

The White Sox have pushed their players harder than in past years in order to get them focused during workouts. Ventura said he and his coaches have taken a strict approach to practices and players have responded. General manager Rick Hahn is pleased with how the pre-exhibition games portion of spring training has been run.

So you'd agree they did a poor job last year and realized they needed to change preparation tactics?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
So you'd agree they did a poor job last year and realized they needed to change preparation tactics?

Not neccessarily. Ventura said they actually worked harder on fundamentals in spring training 2013 than they did during spring training 2012, and the result was much worse.

I posted this because if they do suck again, it should be noted it wasn't because they were laying around drinking beers all spring.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Not neccessarily. Ventura said they actually worked harder on fundamentals in spring training 2013 than they did during spring training 2012, and the result was much worse.

I posted this because if they do suck again, it should be noted it wasn't because they were laying around drinking beers all spring.

Although I can't rule out that's how they spent last spring training based on their performance...would you agree that if the team comes out and looks just as fundamentally rotten as last year, that result should be taken as a major, huge failure and a direct indictment of the coaching staff?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Although I can't rule out that's how they spent last spring training based on their performance...would you agree that if the team comes out and looks just as fundamentally rotten as last year, that result should be taken as a major, huge failure and a direct indictment of the coaching staff?

No. Of course I would think if you want to blame Ventura for De Aza getting thrown out on the bases 11 times and picked off 6 times, you should blame Cooper for Dylan Axelrod getting lit up.

I don't blame either. Tyler Flowers not being able to make contact wasn't Manto's fault. The errors both physically and mentally weren't the guys sitting in the dugout's fault. It was on the guys in the field, at the plate, on the mound and on the bases. These aren't 8 year olds. They are grown men. For everyone who blames the manager in this situation, I really hope someday they get to manage a bunch of incompetent people in whatever line of work they are in, that no matter what you try won't make them better, and then have their failure blamed on them. I bet most would see that an entire different way.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
No. Of course I would think if you want to blame Ventura for De Aza getting thrown out on the bases 11 times and picked off 6 times, you should blame Cooper for Dylan Axelrod getting lit up.

I don't blame either. Tyler Flowers not being able to make contact wasn't Manto's fault. The errors both physically and mentally weren't the guys sitting in the dugout's fault. It was on the guys in the field, at the plate, on the mound and on the bases. These aren't 8 year olds. They are grown men. For everyone who blames the manager in this situation, I really hope someday they get to manage a bunch of incompetent people in whatever line of work they are in, that no matter what you try won't make them better, and then have their failure blamed on them. I bet most would see that an entire different way.

I'm not asking for them to be the best in the league. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to request that they not be the worst, or at least that they show some signs of improvement (which is the opposite direction of last year, when the same players got much, much worse on those issues).

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/hahn-w...isarios-absence

GLENDALE, Ariz. — The White Sox are hopeful Ronald Belisario’s visa issues will be resolved shortly and he can report to spring training.

The Venezuelan-born relief pitcher is nearly two weeks late to camp and still the White Sox have no definitive word when he may arrive. White Sox pitchers and catchers reported to camp on Feb. 15. The team is admittedly starting to show concern about when Belisario will join them but is far from frustration, general manager Rick Hahn said.