Grab a SP now

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 25, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
If the Sox got Johan and actually got some production out of him, I'd be so stupidly happy. He's the only opposing pitcher I've ever looked at each time he faced the Sox and go "and this is a loss."

CC Sabathia and Bruce Chen also say "hi!"

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
He'll go for a lot more than that. My guess is around $5M + incentives.

For real? At 35 and recovering from surgery to a repeatedly-injured shoulder? I will be astonished if he goes for $5M.

FWIW....

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Johan Santana is close to making a decision on a minor league deal.

It's not clear which team he's leaning towards signing with, but Cafardo notes that there's "some speculation" it could be the Twins and that the Astros "could also have some interest." The Pirates, Yankees, Rays, Orioles and Brewers have also been linked to Santana this offseason. The veteran southpaw is coming back from a second surgery to repair a re-tear of his shoulder capsule but expects to be ready to go for spring training.

That was about a month ago.

There's also this to throw out there....

Twins general manager Terry Ryan revealed at TwinsFest on Sunday that Johan Santana (shoulder) isn't expected to be game-ready until midseason.

The feeling had been that Santana could be ready to go for spring training following surgery last April to repair a re-tear of his shoulder capsule. The news shouldn't come as much of a surprise, though, given that it took the lefty 19 months to return from his first shoulder operation. Ryan added that the Twins are still "keeping an eye" on Santana and that it seems like a "good fit for both of us." The Yankees are one of a handful of other clubs also monitoring Santana's progress. Jan 26

I love the idea of Johan, but if anything, the Sox need a guy for the first half while a guy like Beck pushes his way up....It also eliminates the whole "Sign him so we can trade him" idea.

(All info from rotoworld)

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/al-c...ins-tigers.html

Apparently Ervin Santana's price may have dropped all the way to 3/40M. Everybody still horribly against a 3 year deal?

It doesn't matter what we think. Rick Hahn has made it clear that the Sox won't be doing anything that costs them a draft pick. Guys like Santana get screwed by the new system.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/al-c...ins-tigers.html

Apparently Ervin Santana's price may have dropped all the way to 3/40M. Everybody still horribly against a 3 year deal?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
At that price he's a steal, no reason not to sign him.

Over the last 3 years, Ervin Santana has put up 4.6 fWAR. If I go with paying $6 million per WAR, over the last 3, when he was ages 28, 29, and 30, years he's been worth $27 million.

Ergo, it's a steal to give up $40 million and a draft pick for the right to pay him $40 million over his age 31, 32, and 33 seasons?

Actually, you're right, "steal" is the word I'd use to describe that...but I think I'd be using in the sense of "Stealing money".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Over the last 3 years, Ervin Santana has put up 4.6 fWAR. If I go with paying $6 million per WAR, over the last 3, when he was ages 28, 29, and 30, years he's been worth $27 million.

Ergo, it's a steal to give up $40 million and a draft pick for the right to pay him $40 million over his age 31, 32, and 33 seasons?

Actually, you're right, "steal" is the word I'd use to describe that...but I think I'd be using in the sense of "Stealing money".

WAR is just one way of looking at it and in this case not relevant.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
You got me B.

Anyway, stathead types told me Dunn's contract was a good one for the Sox and that could not have been further from the truth. What will the price of a WAR be in 2016?

At current rates of inflation I'm going to guess in the range of $6-$7 million.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
$7M per puts it at 3/$33M. $40M over 3 years is a steal on the free agent market.

:huh:

I get where you're getting your 3/$33M. How does that make 3/$40M a steal? That's $7M unaccounted for if he forgets to age and puts up the same rates he has over the last three years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
7X3=33?

He's saying 7*4.6 = ~33

4.6 is Santana's fWAR over the last three seasons.

Still doesn't explain how $40M is a steal, nor why we would expect Santana to repeat his last three years given his age.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)

I get where you're getting your 3/$33M. How does that make 3/$40M a steal? That's $7M unaccounted for if he forgets to age and puts up the same rates he has over the last three years.

Plus the draft pick and plust the fact that you're paying for him now as well so you can't use the price in 2016 to cover teh first 2 years of the contract.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)

How was it that Dunn's contract was deemed a good deal for the Sox when it was signed? Every player transaction is unique and at this point in time it would behoove the Sox to shore up the rotation for a moderate investment in order to give themselves more options to improve the team in 2015 and 2016.