2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
It's only two years guaranteed, that's not major. The problem is, why would a win now team like Buffalo or Arizona want a QB that turns the ball over so much? They don't need a gunslinger, they just need someone who can make the occasional deep throw and won't lose games.

Who is out there that you can sign to do that? It isn't like there is a list of veteran QB's who have significant starter experience out there. That is why Jay will still be marketable and I think more and more people are seeing Trestman and the organization and are going to have that, it is the organization not jay argument...which I'm fine with...means we can start over. I think you can win with Jay...but you will not win because of Jay.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
I already said blame him. You are sitting around ignoring the ignoramous we have running the franchise and throwing it all on Cutler. I said they all deserve blame but the blame starts at the very top. Did you hear Gruden absolutely bash our team into smithereens. False starts, bad coverages, wrong routes, poor QB footwork, too many men on the field in a fake punt...the list goes on and on. It is a sorry franchise right now. Worse than it has ever been in my lifetime because I think we have the worst people in charge of the organization.

I agree 100%. But you were responding to a statement about Cutler alone though, and you said it's mostly the coaching to blame. I don't agree with that. Cutler sucks because he sucks. He's not a good QB. He never has been. We have plenty of evidence for that now. He's a significant part of a huge problem, and I agree the organization has problems all over.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I agree 100%. But you were responding to a statement about Cutler alone though, and you said it's mostly the coaching to blame. I don't agree with that. Cutler sucks because he sucks. He's not a good QB. He never has been. We have plenty of evidence for that now. He's a significant part of a huge problem, and I agree the organization has problems all over.

I think if you expect to have him carry your team, you are a fool. I think if you surround him with a good team and have a good running game, oline and OC and use playaction and don't give him a lot of rope to hang himself, he can be effective on that sort of team. Basically put, he's someone who could win on a good team (and not be a detriment...put him on Arizona / Houston / Buffalo and those are upgrades). But to think you can win with him at the helm and out gunsling your opponents is a losing proposition. He isn't in that class, not even close. In fact, the very idea of letting him drop back that many times is a disaster waiting to happen (as we've seen).

I do think at this point Jay and most everyone on this offense have quit. I'm not saying some of them aren't trying but I think in their head they are half into it cause they pretty much know what is called isn't going to work. I think they literally have zero faith in their staff and I agree with whomever mentioned it, but when this era ends, a lot of dirt is going to come out about how dysfunctional and bad things are/were.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
I think if you expect to have him carry your team, you are a fool. I think if you surround him with a good team and have a good running game, oline and OC and use playaction and don't give him a lot of rope to hang himself, he can be effective on that sort of team. Basically put, he's someone who could win on a good team (and not be a detriment...put him on Arizona / Houston / Buffalo and those are upgrades). But to think you can win with him at the helm and out gunsling your opponents is a losing proposition. He isn't in that class, not even close. In fact, the very idea of letting him drop back that many times is a disaster waiting to happen (as we've seen).

I do think at this point Jay and most everyone on this offense have quit. I'm not saying some of them aren't trying but I think in their head they are half into it cause they pretty much know what is called isn't going to work. I think they literally have zero faith in their staff and I agree with whomever mentioned it, but when this era ends, a lot of dirt is going to come out about how dysfunctional and bad things are/were.

He is paid to carry the team.

Surround anyone with good team and they will do good.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
By the way, notice how Emery has started to distance himself from Trestman & Company?

I mean, Emery was hiring a new coach in one of the best coaching classes of the decade and he decided to go to the CFL to hire Trestman.

That is not a forgivable offense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
By the way, notice how Emery has started to distance himself from Trestman & Company?

He went all in when he shoved Arians out of the picture, too late to distance himself now. He goes down with that ship. The s***show that is that coaching staff was all Emery.

The Bears look like a badly coached college team right now. Actually there are high school teams are more properly run.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
I mean, Emery was hiring a new coach in one of the best coaching classes of the decade and he decided to go to the CFL to hire Trestman.

"Jay Cutler is an elite Quarterback"

His hands are the dirtiest of them all and for him to be acting as if he's disappointed is quite laughable.

He had the final say in all decisions, from Trestman's hiring to Cuttys contract, Emery should be the first one gone.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
"Jay Cutler is an elite Quarterback"

His hands are the dirtiest of them all and for him to be acting as if he's disappointed is quite laughable.

He had the final say in all decisions, from Trestman's hiring to Cuttys contract, Emery should be the first one gone.

He based in on winning percentage. I think currently, Rex Grossman has a better career winning percentage, and a Super Bowl appearance. He must be HOF material.

You are right, they have to clean house. If it takes 2 more weeks of being totally embarrassed, fine. It needs to be done. Move Phillips to the business side, hire a Polian or someone of his ilk, and let him start off clean with Emery and the coaches, every one of them taking a walk.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
He based in on winning percentage. I think currently, Rex Grossman has a better career winning percentage, and a Super Bowl appearance. He must be HOF material.

You are right, they have to clean house. If it takes 2 more weeks of being totally embarrassed, fine. It needs to be done. Move Phillips to the business side, hire a Polian or someone of his ilk, and let him start off clean with Emery and the coaches, every one of them taking a walk.

Yea no doubt, the McCaskey's have to step aside and hire actual football people.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
He is paid to carry the team.

Surround anyone with good team and they will do good.

I don't think that is even close to true. Romo is very good and this is the 2nd time in a long career that he'll be playing in the playoffs.

There were some great stats about the Bears versus playoff or potential playoff opponents this year on 670 a little bit ago. That list would be Green Bay (x2), New Orleans, New England, Dallas, Detroit.

** They are 0-6 being outscored by an average margin of 22.5 points..

** The Bears scored 114 points in those 6 games. Their opponents scored 122 points in JUST THE 2ND QUARTER of those games.

**The closest game was the 41-28 loss to the Cowboys; a game the Cowboys started the fourth quarter leading by 28.

**The fewest points allowed were the 31 scored by the Saints last night

**The average score after 3 quarters was 35-10

**The Bears were within 24 points to start the 4th in only 2 of those 6 games. And within 2 touchdowns entering the 4th just once (down 7 to Detroit on Thanksgiving)

**The opposing QB has 23 TD and 0 INT and averages 323 yards passing (Romo was only one not to exceed 300 yds)

**Jay Cutler had 12 TD and 11 INT in those games

**Drew Brees' passer rating of 137.8 was the 2nd WORST in the 6 games (others: Rodgers 151.2 and 145.8, Brady 148.4, Romo 138.0 and Stafford a measly 116.0)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
He went all in when he shoved Arians out of the picture, too late to distance himself now. He goes down with that ship. The s***show that is that coaching staff was all Emery.

The Bears look like a badly coached college team right now. Actually there are high school teams are more properly run.

I don't disagree but if you recall, it was Emery who actually stepped in and disciplined Bennett (probably going come on Trestman...geeze) in training camp and it certainly seemed like he wanted to get rid of Kromer. I think Emery made a joke of a hire and deserves his share of the blame and they should all be gone, but I also really don't care what happens if we can find a way to get Harbaugh. If Emery can convince him ownership and Harbaugh to come here, that works for me. More importantly I just want a GM who will work with Jim (who supposedly doesn't want total control which is good).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)

If Polian says no, throw a bunch of money at Ron Wolf and let him help make the decisions to get the right people in. They really need to change everything and what will really seal the deal is if we lose these next two. I do want our young players to play well and show improvement though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
There were some great stats about the Bears versus playoff or potential playoff opponents this year on 670 a little bit ago. That list would be Green Bay (x2), New Orleans, New England, Dallas, Detroit.

** The Bears scored 114 points in those 6 games. Their opponents scored 122 points in JUST THE 2ND QUARTER of those games.

**The closest game was the 41-28 loss to the Cowboys; a game the Cowboys started the fourth quarter leading by 28.

**The Bears were within 24 points to start the 4th in only 2 of those 6 games. And within 2 touchdowns entering the 4th just once (down 7 to Detroit on Thanksgiving)

**The opposing QB has 23 TD and 0 INT and averages 323 yards passing (Romo was only one not to exceed 300 yds)

**Drew Brees' passer rating of 137.8 was the 2nd WORST in the 6 games (others: Rodgers 151.2 and 145.8, Brady 148.4, Romo 138.0 and Stafford a measly 116.0)

Buffalo should be on that list. They are potential playoff team. Do Niners still have a chance? Either way, no shocker at how dismal we are.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)

Don't forget about Ryan Tannenhill and his 123.6 QB Rating vs. the Bears.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
If Polian says no, throw a bunch of money at Ron Wolf and let him help make the decisions to get the right people in. They really need to change everything and what will really seal the deal is if we lose these next two. I do want our young players to play well and show improvement though.

Go back and look at some those Polian draft classes of his later years. Yuck. His kid is a dips*** too and he would want him to come along.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Go back and look at some those Polian draft classes of his later years. Yuck. His kid is a dips*** too and he would want him to come along.

I am referring to hiring them as consultants to come in and help with the process, not bringing them in full time. Really I want Harbaugh and someone who can draft / make front office decisions and work well with Jim.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)

It was moronic then, and it's moronic now. The Bears hired a fool while Arians, Kelly, and Reid are leading their teams to approval.

49ers were eliminated this weekend with their loss to Seattle.

I misstated it though, it's six teams that have a playoff spot as of today, so that's why Buffalo gets left out. If you add Buffalo, you'd get:

** They are 0-7 being outscored by an average margin of 19.7 points. [slightly less terrible, still terrible]

** The Bears scored 114 points in those 7 games. Their opponents scored 132 points in JUST THE 2ND QUARTER of those games. [even worse!]

**The closest game was the 23-20 loss to the Buffalo; a game the Bears started the 4th quarter tied. [not as shockingly bad but still, never took a lead against a playoff or in-the-hunt team into the 4th the entire season]

**The fewest points allowed were the 23 scored by the Bills [a lot better, but that's against a pretty terrible offense]

**The average score after 3 quarters was 35-10 [not bothering to update that one]

**The Bears were within 24 points to start the 4th in only 3 of those 7 games. And within 2 touchdowns entering the 4th just twice (down 7 to Detroit on Thanksgiving, tied with Buffalo) [better but still bad]

**The opposing QB has 24 TD and 1 INT and averages 301 yards passing (Romo + EJ Manual were only ones not to exceed 300 yds) [slightly better but still horrible]

**Jay Cutler had 14 TD and 13 INT in those games [added two ints and two TDs, so the ratio gets even closer to 1:1]

**Drew Brees' passer rating of 137.8 was the 3rd WORST in the 7 games (others: Rodgers 151.2 and 145.8, Brady 148.4, Romo 138.0 and Stafford a measly 116.0, EJ Manual still a 91.7)

Adding my own:

**Avg. opponent passer rating was 132.7 through the 7 games, 139.5 if you exclude Buffalo

**Jay's avg.passer rating for all seven was 82.1, for just the six was 81.5. One game was above 100, and that was all garbage time (Bills 86.2, GB 82.5, NE 108.6, GB 68.8, Detroit 76.7, Dallas 96.4, New Orleans 55.8)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
People watched the Bears last night? Why?
I watched the pregame, caught the first few possessions where the Bears and Saints turned over the ball and literally fell asleep until there was about a minute left in the game, true story. I saw the ESPN guys rip into Jay so I knew he stunk up the joint and I was the least bit surprised. Jay isn't this bad, he's checked out mentally from this club, a change would be best for the Bears and also for him at this point, too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Stupid teams that will convince themselves that the Bears organization was the problem, not Cutler. My dream is that everyone from Emery, the coaches, Cutler, nearly everyone on defense, etc. are gone. But this is the Bears guys. Kromer will get canned. Tucker will get canned. And that's it. They'll keep singing the praises of the future and potential and progress and Bear Down and Ditka and blah blah and we'll accept our typical .500 or worse, no playoff season as we have for nearly ever season for the last 40 years.

I think it's 50/50. I would not be surprised if Cutler were successful on another team if the Bears do move him. This organization just does not groom quality QBs for whatever reason. I'm even of the opinion that had the Bears drafted Rodgers, they would've ruined him and he'd probably be out of the league right now, lol.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1