2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I wouldn't want to be the one calling the players union saying "Hey guys, we are gonna eliminate 53 roster spots, OK?"

You could expand rosters on the remaining teams. Something they should do anyway.

Maybe have a 60 man roster. Could also expand the practice squad, like they did this year.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
You could expand rosters on the remaining teams. Something they should do anyway.

Maybe have a 60 man roster. Could also expand the practice squad, like they did this year.

Probably make for better football overall anyway. Rosters could use a few more spots for injury backups and special teams.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Probably make for better football overall anyway. Rosters could use a few more spots for injury backups and special teams.

I really was genuinely surprised that the rosters didn't expand by a couple players during the last CBA/Lockout. It seems like it would benefit both sides, health wise and allowing franchises to hold onto a couple extra people they'd otherwise have lost.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
LA with a new stadium is a no brainer for at least one team, and probably 2.

They will generate some serious revenue.

It wasn't like the Raiders didn't sell seats here. The issue was always the stadium deal. Now the Rams, sure they couldn't sell seats but that was a totally different market you were talking about (Orange County).

IIRC the NFL wanted to go cheap on expanded rosters because they didnt want to be paying these extra players insurance and stuff like that. Easier to play the practice squad carousel game

Which is totally mindblowing when you think about the money that they make

Not sure if anyone noticed but two straight weeks, Trestman has called out Marshall on Jay's picks. This time, Trestman back tracked a bit and talked about how he shouldn't have made the throw but it seems that B might be doing his own improvising and not following the playbook as much as Trestman would like. I wonder how much of this has to do with him finally practicing for first time last week vs. him maybe not being 100% bought in.

I did also notice that Trestman/Jay were going to spend extra time trying to get B more involved, etc. Found that interesting.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
There are tickets for the Rams game available for 10.00. Ten bucks and still no one goes. I can't imagine L.A could do any worse.

The Edward Jones Dome is f***ing awful. I saw a Bears game there a few years ago with my Dad (Rams fan). The Bears slaughtered them, and it didn't even feel like an event. It was like a half-empty stadium. You could hear crickets.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
The Edward Jones Dome is f***ing awful. I saw a Bears game there a few years ago with my Dad (Rams fan). The Bears slaughtered them, and it didn't even feel like an event. It was like a half-empty stadium. You could hear crickets.

St Louis is just trying to maximize every dollar opportunity out of that concrete dumpster before it is declared unsafe and leveled(and by leveled, I mean sits there unused for 10 years before someone finally detonates it, like the Silverdome is right now). I honestly believe if St Louis built a outdoor stadium, they would get fans back. Nobody wants a dome anymore

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
St Louis is just trying to maximize every dollar opportunity out of that concrete dumpster before it is declared unsafe and leveled(and by leveled, I mean sits there unused for 10 years before someone finally detonates it, like the Silverdome is right now). I honestly believe if St Louis built a outdoor stadium, they would get fans back. Nobody wants a dome anymore

Yeah, there's no reason for St. Louis to have a dome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
I find that to be a crap argument. Bears fans filled up that crap ass Memorial Stadium which was 2 hours away. Most cities have a safe base of 70k fans each week eager to watch football.

You are citing one season where the bears were rebuilding their stadium as proof? At a university full of students from the chicagoland area? That is even more of a crap argument

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
You are citing one season where the bears were rebuilding their stadium as proof? At a university full of students from the chicagoland area? That is even more of a crap argument

Yes. Nobody was saying "ugh I don't want to go to a crappy stadium to watch football", people went because the bears were playing. People aren't going to the Rams games because they don't care about football.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
Yes. Nobody was saying "ugh I don't want to go to a crappy stadium to watch football", people went because the bears were playing. People aren't going to the Rams games because they don't care about football.

The bears also were coming off a playoff season.

When the Rams were the greatest show on turf, they cared enough to go to that dump.

In other NFL news, Adrian Peterson just admitted that he smoked a little weed and will probably fail the court mandated drug test he had to take yesterday

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
I find that to be a crap argument. Bears fans filled up that crap ass Memorial Stadium which was 2 hours away. Most cities have a safe base of 70k fans each week eager to watch football.

Solider Field is a s***hole not as bad as Wrigley Field but not much better. The Cadillac Club and sky boxes might be nice but the joint is an eyesore and has zero amenities.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Solider Field is a s***hole not as bad as Wrigley Field but not much better. The Cadillac Club and sky boxes might be nice but the joint is an eyesore and has zero amenities.

Other than being WAY too small for the team I disagree with everything you said. Its an awesome place to watch a game.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Honestly I would be way more pumped if Sutton and Ferguson turn out to be good tackles and we could save that money for elsewhere.

I can agree with this, but it doesn't hurt to have a real solid rotation of DTs. The chances of both Sutton and Ego turning into starting DTs is probably somewhat thin.

I looked into the Bears cap situation for next year, right now they're at 105M, with the cap set to go up to 160. Every offensive position but center is locked up (I think DLP comes back for cheap). We probably see Jeffery get an extension as well. Past that the Bears will have a lot of coin to put towards the D.

Edited by scs787