Sox make more roster moves

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Roster Moves today

Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 4m

White Sox announce moves: Davidson, Jordan Danks, and Petricka to AAA. Axelrod to minor league camp. Plan to release Boggs.

Daniel Webb, your table is ready. Can't say I'm too disappointed - I want to see if DW is good enough to allow a Jones trade at mid or post season.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Unfortunately, there is no room for him.

He'll be back at some point, one of De Aza and Viciedo will be gone by the all-star break. I'd rather RH take his time and find the right deal.

Maybe Memorial Day if we're being optimistic. Injuries happen.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Unfortunately, there is no room for him.

He'll be back at some point, one of De Aza and Viciedo will be gone by the all-star break. I'd rather RH take his time and find the right deal.

Wow crappy Dunn stays because of money, wish we would jyst cut him, getting the same value hacung gim here than eating the money. That's just my take, I know it is what it is. Would have used a combination of de aza, tank and jordan between LF/DH. But that's just me, before anybody cones down on me with some stat dilled rant

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Webb and Cleto better get those last 2 bullpen spots over Purcey and Putnam

I see Cleto making it over Putnam for sure but I wouldn't mind Purcey as a long reliever/third lefty in the pen considering we really don't have any long-reliever options left if both Webb and Cleto make it. Webb will be up by mid-season easily anyway.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
I see Cleto making it over Putnam for sure but I wouldn't mind Purcey as a long reliever/third lefty in the pen considering we really don't have any long-reliever options left if both Webb and Cleto make it. Webb will be up by mid-season easily anyway.

At this point, I would go with Jones, Belisario, Lindstrom, Downs, Veal, Cleto, and Webb. Let Petricka close at Charlotte.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
I sense that there are a few regular posters here who are grieving over the release of Boggs, since they were very enthusiastic over his signing.

I liked the Boggs signing. He was pretty bad though. Didn't have the stuff he used to have.

Do yall really believe that Danks has suddenly become an excellent hitter? I hope so, but the chances are remote. Still, he could do an okay job, certainly enough to warrant trading of De Aza, if someone offered something decent.

Boggs was a disaster. Great that his contract wasn't guaranteed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
I sense that there are a few regular posters here who are grieving over the release of Boggs, since they were very enthusiastic over his signing.

He was terrible, but in the end it didn't cost much more than it costs to gas up JRs jet to see what he had and if the Sox could do anything about it. So I really doubt anyone is grieving except the Boggs family.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
At this point, I would go with Jones, Belisario, Lindstrom, Downs, Veal, Cleto, and Webb. Let Petricka close at Charlotte.

Yep, that's the bullpen. Apparently there won't be a true long reliever to start the season. I think the average team used 24 pitchers last season, so stuff always happens.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Do yall really believe that Danks has suddenly become an excellent hitter? I hope so, but the chances are remote. Still, he could do an okay job, certainly enough to warrant trading of De Aza, if someone offered something decent.

The thing is Dunn has got to go. Piddling around hoping he's good enough so that someone picks up a couple million of his salary is pointless, but that's what we've come to expect with the White Sox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

It seems Danks is getting better and he is clearly a better OF'er. De Aza needs to go for the betterment of this team IMO

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Any confirmation Sox won't owe Boggs money for this year? Rotoworld makes it seem like they'll owe him 1.1

Rotoworld also recently posted that Leury Garcia was the heir apparent to Alexei, so...Always take what they say with a grain of salt.

It'd be great if Danks became a solid regular OF'er. I don't think he will be one on a contending team but he has seemed to have slowly gotten better and better and I think he has become a very good 4th OF in the majors. He has some power, has some speed and plays plus defense at all 3 positions. He deserves at least a 4th OF role right now but our current roster situation prohibits that right now with this team. He'll be back up eventually and hopefully he proves most people wrong and can become an even more important contributor down the road. Either way, I think he's show enough where he will have a several years making millions of dollars as a MLB bench player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Any confirmation Sox won't owe Boggs money for this year? Rotoworld makes it seem like they'll owe him 1.1

A couple of sources said at the time of the signing the $1.1m was guaranteed only if he made the 25-man roster. Given his release I'd say that's a safe bet.