NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Rice out 8 weeks-ish due to a broken wrist, still extremely rusty from that

Cosby is off the team after suspension and just a horrific season

Nunn took longer to recover from offseason knee injury

I would say those have contributed just a tad to that record.

The big thing is he's either super passive or super aggressive. Nothing in between. An entire offensive possession will go by and he doesn't touch the ball, or if he does, it's a simple hand-off, or he's a ball hog and drives to the lane and takes a contested shot. He needs to try and set guys up more. The defense collapses around him, we have good shooters, why isn't that the offense instead of this garbage, toilet bowl offense they run (i.e., nothing).

Also, there were about 5 trips where Tate is holding the ball with 5-6 seconds left in the shot clock. That's moronic. I'd bench guys, especially Nunn, Hill and Rice, for ever giving up the ball to Tate with that much time on the clock. I'd rather you take a fall away contested three than give the ball to Tate with the pressure to do something with the ball.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
The big thing is he's either super passive or super aggressive. Nothing in between. An entire offensive possession will go by and he doesn't touch the ball, or if he does, it's a simple hand-off, or he's a ball hog and drives to the lane and takes a contested shot. He needs to try and set guys up more. The defense collapses around him, we have good shooters, why isn't that the offense instead of this garbage, toilet bowl offense they run (i.e., nothing).

Also, there were about 5 trips where Tate is holding the ball with 5-6 seconds left in the shot clock. That's moronic. I'd bench guys, especially Nunn, Hill and Rice, for ever giving up the ball to Tate with that much time on the clock. I'd rather you take a fall away contested three than give the ball to Tate with the pressure to do something with the ball.

The point guard is almost always the release in those late shot clock situations. If somebody on the wing is bottled up under 10 seconds left, the pass is back to the top of the key for a reversal (assuming there isn't a post feed available - and on this team, there isn't). Likewise, Tate is always going to be the open man there because teams aren't trying to deny him the ball. So if the options are (1) forced shot; (2) turnover; and (3) pass to Tate and hope, you pass to Tate and hope...

That's the problem with Tate generally. Unless he becomes at worst a 25% 3 point shooter, he's a career backup at best.

Also of note, I was 100% sure Nunn's three was going in with 38 seconds left.

Wednesday just became a lot, lot more important... need to win @ Iowa City.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
The point guard is almost always the release in those late shot clock situations. If somebody on the wing is bottled up under 10 seconds left, the pass is back to the top of the key for a reversal (assuming there isn't a post feed available - and on this team, there isn't). Likewise, Tate is always going to be the open man there because teams aren't trying to deny him the ball. So if the options are (1) forced shot; (2) turnover; and (3) pass to Tate and hope, you pass to Tate and hope...

That's the problem with Tate generally. Unless he becomes at worst a 25% 3 point shooter, he's a career backup at best.

I've seen Hill be more successful with his contested old-man, H-O-R-S-E shots than Tate with an open look. I'd take my chances with Hill, no question.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

One thing college teams suck at is panic as the shot clock winds down. In the NBA it is at 2 or 1 and guys are calm they still run the offense, good shots occur. Once it gets down to 8 in a college game, panic sets in. It seems very rarely do they get a good shot if they let it get under 5.

Iowa 55, Illinois 57 and Purdue 59 in today's RPI.

Iowa a 10 seed, Purdue in the last four guaranteed byes and Illinois in a play-in game as of this morning at ESPN Bracketology.

Iowa State a 3 seed.

Fwiw, you'd much rather be a 7 or 10 seed because that gives you a #2 instead of #1 the 2nd round. Avoiding KY would probably be a good recipe for survival, although WI on a really good night definitely could knock them off in the Elite 8.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
I've seen Hill be more successful with his contested old-man, H-O-R-S-E shots than Tate with an open look. I'd take my chances with Hill, no question.

Oh, no doubt. There were two great Hill possessions last night. The first, Dawson was yelling at Hill's man to watch for the shot fake, Hill got him to bite, made the jumper, and drew the foul. Dawson bit on the Hill shot fake a couple possessions later.

Clearly Michigan State had scouted Hill's old-man HORSE game. But the shot fakes are so good, he still had them biting.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
s*** just got interesting in the big 12.

What's really confusing is, I can't seem to find a reliable set of tie-breaker rules, if there even are any. So if some combination of Kansas, Iowa State and/or Oklahoma finish with the same conference record, and the head-to-head is an even 1-1 tie... who is the conference champion?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
What's really confusing is, I can't seem to find a reliable set of tie-breaker rules, if there even are any. So if some combination of Kansas, Iowa State and/or Oklahoma finish with the same conference record, and the head-to-head is an even 1-1 tie... who is the conference champion?

"In a strange and somewhat sad tradition, in order to appear as something they are not, Kansas will claim the Big 12 championship."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)

I just think they share it, no tiebreaker. (Other than tournament seeding) At least four of Kansas's consecutive titles were shared.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
I kept reloading my gamecast thinking it was failing to update.

Rutgers game aside we've been playing pretty poorly lately. If we beat both Iowa and MSU all will be well. But gonna need to actually hit free throws for that to happen.

And score more than 14 points in an entire half.