Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm trying to think if I was Spencer Adams if I would take the payday, spend 3 great years of my life in buses across the minor leagues, or if I would go to college with the potential of getting a 5 million payday by waiting. Tough call.

Have him talk to Brett Austin about that decision.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm trying to think if I was Spencer Adams if I would take the payday, spend 3 great years of my life in buses across the minor leagues, or if I would go to college with the potential of getting a 5 million payday by waiting. Tough call.

You can always go back to college. If in 3 or 4 years it doesn't work out, he won't be creepy old for the ladies and he should have some of that signing bonus left. And if he is going to be a guy who would be a top 3 or 4 pick in 3 years, he should then develop nicely in the minor leagues and be a lot further along on his way to a really big pay day.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Spencer should take the money and start his pro career. If things don't work out he has more than enough bonus money to go to college with.

FYI, they typically include a clause in these contracts that the team would pay for their college education if they don't pan out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
FYI, they typically include a clause in these contracts that the team would pay for their college education if they don't pan out.

The kid the Indians signed just had them throw in 8 semesters of Vanderbilt tuition ;)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)

If he wants to be a baseball player, he should take his million bucks and get into a professional player development system.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)

I honestly never heard that before. That's interesting.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
If he wants to be a baseball player, he should take his million bucks and get into a professional player development system.

And if he wants to win 10 World Series titles in the next 20 years, he'll take advantage of the opportunity to be a member of the White Sox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
I honestly never heard that before. That's interesting.

I can confirm having talked to some front office folks at the affiliates, these guys are given money, some time flexibility practice-wise, and strong suggestion to finish school while playing.

From MLB.com

"It hasn't been easy to see Peter on the mound, as he didn't pitch as a freshman and worked just 22 1/3 innings the past two seasons as a part-time closer. In those brief looks, he has shown a swing-and-miss fastball that sits at 92-94 mph and tops out at 96. He's not a big guy, but he has a quick arm and a reasonably sound delivery. Peter shows signs of a decent breaking ball and has the competitive edge to develop into a late-inning reliever. Like most two-way performers, he prefers playing everyday to pitching, so the team that drafts him may have to send him out as a second baseman and make him a full-time pitcher down the road. Peter is a prospect as a second baseman, too, though his ceiling is more as a utilityman than as a regular. He handles the bat well, lacks pop and is an average runner, so he'll probably fit toward the bottom of a pro lineup. He has a strong arm and is a surehanded defender who made just two errors as a junior."

That's not a good sign when they spent half the write-up talking about his pitching ability then say his ceiling is a ULT guy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)

That is true, although they rarely pay it. Shawon Dunston had to sue the Cubs to get his tuition money.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah thats two F picks in a row. Oh well who cares

Hopefully they start feeling comfortable with their pool money left and can start targeting better players. Still, very happy with this draft so far.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Hopefully they start feeling comfortable with their pool money left and can start targeting better players. Still, very happy with this draft so far.

Yeah this last guy sounds like a rare case where he'd benefit by not signing going back his senior year

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)

Yea I was gonna say the last thing you want to do is over extend yourself with the bonus money and have to let Adams go. Gotta be careful with these picks and make sure there is money there for Adams and Rodon.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Yea I was gonna say the last thing you want to do is over extend yourself with the bonus money and have to let Adams go. Gotta be careful with these picks and make sure there is money there for Adams and Rodon.

Yeah these last few guys are definitely under slot guys, hopefully we take a little more risk starting in round 11.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)

It would be great if they could get the top-end figures back for Rodon and Adams back ASAP so they know how many steals they can make with their remaining picks.