2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OB call on Klay was right but the way the reversals went down seemed off.

Ref blows whistle after GS steals the ball, doesn't make a call, gives ball to GS, then they review the play. So if there was no inadvertent whistle, the Cavs never would've gotten the ball back.

Am I alone?

The Refs should have just gotten that call right in the first place, the closest official was very close and should have been able to see that.

Unfortunately, there's been a fair few of those mistakes in the series so far.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
This is the analytic guys' wet dream team too. I still say they were overrated, as was the West this season.

The East was like 75 games under .500 vs the West this year. How were they over rated?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
The OB call on Klay was right but the way the reversals went down seemed off.

Ref blows whistle after GS steals the ball, doesn't make a call, gives ball to GS, then they review the play. So if there was no inadvertent whistle, the Cavs never would've gotten the ball back.

Am I alone?

The refs have been pretty incompetent all series to be honest. They missed the most obvious goal tending ever only to over turn after looking up at the jumbotron, which they aren't allowed to do. Then the replay of a call they aren't allowed to review to begin with. It's also amazed me that both teams have apparently played such good defense that it's never a foul when someone drives in the lane anymore despite being clobbered. This has just been an ugly series.

And this is probably going to get criticized, but am I the only one thinking people going a little overboard on Lebron this series? He's been great, yes, but he's shooting like 38% for the series. How many points do you think JR Smith would have if he was taking 40+ shots per game too? He's playing very well, but some people are making it out like he's having the best NBA finals ever. That's just not true.

Lebron's been great when he's playing off the Pick and Roll with Tina Fey, and can either attack the rim downhill, or kick it out to an open shooter like Delly, Smith or Shumpert.

Other than that, I think his shooting percentage as a low post player against Iggy has been pretty bad. GS have actually defended him pretty well this series I'd say.

Cleveland's up on this series purely because of what they are doing on the defensive end. Golden State is not going to win if Harrison Barnes is not making a shot, Draymond Green can't stretch the floor with his dodgy back, and they're getting nothing really out of Bogut either.

At somepoint, one of those 3 guys is going to have to step it up on the offensive end, otherwise too much is going to come down to Curry + Thompson getting at least 50 b/w em.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
The East was like 75 games under .500 vs the West this year. How were they over rated?

The refs have been pretty incompetent all series to be honest. They missed the most obvious goal tending ever only to over turn after looking up at the jumbotron, which they aren't allowed to do. Then the replay of a call they aren't allowed to review to begin with. It's also amazed me that both teams have apparently played such good defense that it's never a foul when someone drives in the lane anymore despite being clobbered. This has just been an ugly series.

And this is probably going to get criticized, but am I the only one thinking people going a little overboard on Lebron this series? He's been great, yes, but he's shooting like 38% for the series. How many points do you think JR Smith would have if he was taking 40+ shots per game too? He's playing very well, but some people are making it out like he's having the best NBA finals ever. That's just not true.

He is playing exceptionally well when you factor in his current supporting cast. He isn't having the best finals ever but when you factor in the rebounding, defense, assists and that he isn't turning the ball over at all despite his ridiculously high usage rate you have a guy playing a phenomenal series. The Cavs being up 2-1 is almost all about their defense though. They are only scoring slightly over 1 pts per possession but have the Warriors scoring .1 pts per possession less than they did during the regular season which is pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)

The bottom is clearly better, but I still don't think the top was so far ahead of teams like Cleveland or a healthy Atlanta. Was Houston really that good? Memphis? Hell, even the Clippers?

And now you have one of the supposed greatest teams ever losing 2-1 in the Finals to a team without its 2nd and 3rd best players, relying on stiffs like Mike Miller and James Jonse to make plays, and an undersized dude with an 800k salary making circus plays against the league's MVP.

Was the West better than the East? Sure, absolutely. Vastly better to the point that we really need some massive conference realignment? I don't buy it.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

LeBron's offensive efficiency this post-season's been pretty mediocre.

Yeah he's putting up like 30 points a game, but his TS% is under .500.

I guess a lot of that is him not having healthy Kyrie or Love. Or maybe that Miami team was just that good.

If the Warriors could muster up any kind of offense the past two games, they'd be up 3-0 in this series. The Cavs offense has been nothing special.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm a numbers guy but I don't believe for a second this Warriors team is the best team since the 95-96 Bulls. LeBron to me is the 2nd best player I've seen and winning or losing this series doesn't change that. But I've also been consistent in that position and I've defended him more than most on this board. I don't think there is really much argument that MJ and LeBron aren't top 2 of all time though.

Great post and I agree with everything you just said. I do think that if the Cavs win, it would be what I call the greatest "put my team on the back" moment that I have ever seen.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
LeBron's offensive efficiency this post-season's been pretty mediocre.

Yeah he's putting up like 30 points a game, but his TS% is under .500.

I guess a lot of that is him not having healthy Kyrie or Love. Or maybe that Miami team was just that good.

If the Warriors could muster up any kind of offense the past two games, they'd be up 3-0 in this series. The Cavs offense has been nothing special.

Dude, just stop it with your anti LeBron agenda..

Hes actually averaging 41 points per game, and hes pretty much a one man wrecking crew beating the best team from the superior West conference by himself. The Cavs offense is nothing special because its LeBron James surrounded by a bunch of nobodies and they are handling the Warriors.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Dude, just stop it with your anti LeBron agenda..

Hes actually averaging 41 points per game, and hes pretty much a one man wrecking crew beating the best team from the superior West conference by himself. The Cavs offense is nothing special because its LeBron James surrounded by a bunch of nobodies and they are handling the Warriors.

I was talking about the playoffs in general.

There's almost no doubt the Cavs wouldn't be winning this series had Steph Curry remembered how to shoot for 7 of the last 8 quarters he's played.

And while LeBron scoring 40 points a game is great, you have to realize he's doing this on 44% usage, .402 FG%, and a .494 TS%. He's scoring on volume. Even when he's dishing out 8 assists per game, his ORtg for the series is 106. Yeah, his supporting cast is bad right now, but I don't think you can call this the greatest NBA Finals performance of all time like some people are.

Compare LeBron's playoff numbers this year to his playoff numbers in previous years. Not the counting numbers, but the efficiency numbers. They've been subpar this year in comparison.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
I was talking about the playoffs in general.

There's almost no doubt the Cavs wouldn't be winning this series had Steph Curry remembered how to shoot for 7 of the last 8 quarters he's played.

And while LeBron scoring 40 points a game is great, you have to realize he's doing this on 44% usage, .402 FG%, and a .494 TS%. He's scoring on volume. Even when he's dishing out 8 assists per game, his ORtg for the series is 106. Yeah, his supporting cast is bad right now, but I don't think you can call this the greatest NBA Finals performance of all time like some people are.

Compare LeBron's playoff numbers this year to his playoff numbers in previous years. Not the counting numbers, but the efficiency numbers. They've been subpar this year in comparison.

I think the big difference here is in years past LeBron wasn't taking over like he has to do this series. This is definitely a different play style from what you saw in Miami and it's because he has no one (healthy) around him right now. I don't think it really matters how efficient he is right now as long as he keeps putting up 40 and dictating the pace of the game. The Warriors look clueless out there, maybe it's just inexperience or maybe Curry is just not the same from the fall.

Either every great shooter conveniently forgot how to shoot vs. cavs or their defense is amazing right now. I'm guessing the latter.

Their injuries have removed their worst defensive players and they have the one offensive player in the planet who can make an offense run with scrubs all around.

It's incredible.

But remember after 3 games how vulnerable dubs looked against grizz.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
Either every great shooter conveniently forgot how to shoot vs. cavs or their defense is amazing right now. I'm guessing the latter.

Their injuries have removed their worst defensive players and they have the one offensive player in the planet who can make an offense run with scrubs all around.

It's incredible.

But remember after 3 games how vulnerable dubs looked against grizz.

Well, the Cavs don't have a Tony Allen they can just leave alone on defense like they did against Memphis.

These teams do not share the ball like the Spurs do. I applaud Curry, I really do, but some of those shots are really really bad. Ditto LeBron. Say what you want about Jordan. He didn't take awful shots like both these stars have been putting up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
These teams do not share the ball like the Spurs do. I applaud Curry, I really do, but some of those shots are really really bad. Ditto LeBron. Say what you want about Jordan. He didn't take awful shots like both these stars have been putting up.

I'd say the Cavs share the ball pretty well.

Saying that Lebron's GOAT status hinges on the result of this series seems pretty absurd IMO. So if he's a complete monster the rest of the series and goes 60/20/15 from here on out on 70% shooting, but the Cavs lose by 1 in Game 7 because JR Smith made a stupid play then he's not co-GOAT, but if he plays sub-par and the Cavs win anyway then he is? That doesn't make any sense. Let's not judge a player for something that is out of their control, like Curry suddenly catching fire or a teammate making bone-headed plays.