2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
I personally think Taj is underrated. He never received consistent minutes with Boozer here, but when Boozer was out and Taj started, he was nearly a 20/10 guy (granted he played a ton of minutes those games). Add that output to his elite defensive abilities and if starting, he is definitely a very valuable player. If I am the Bulls, I am trying everything in my power to add Melo while keeping Taj. If you add Melo, Taj's defensive versatility can really help compensate Melo's lack of defense.

I agree; That is the way to an instant winner. People seriously undervalue Taj.

Note: I know he is not 24 too. I know he's gotten better each and every season and when he gets starter minutes he's been extremely productive at the 4 and well worth his contract.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
Taj is pretty good. I feel like people think he's some 24 year old up an comer though. He was like 24 when he was drafted. He will be 29 this year. Not a chance in hell Melo takes something like 4 years $60 million so that Taj Gibson can remain a Bull.

Yeah and we don't have to do that. We can keep Taj and offer him a lot more through a S&T. Lets not act like this 15M offer is the only scenario.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
I'm wondering if someoe like Gasol might not be the "if we move Gibson we can add this guy without losing that much" option.

Lakers might be open to some S&T options too given where they are in the process, so you could likely find some creative ways to add salary for Pau which is why I think we are meeting with him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
I personally think Taj is underrated. He never received consistent minutes with Boozer here, but when Boozer was out and Taj started, he was nearly a 20/10 guy (granted he played a ton of minutes those games). Add that output to his elite defensive abilities and if starting, he is definitely a very valuable player. If I am the Bulls, I am trying everything in my power to add Melo while keeping Taj. If you add Melo, Taj's defensive versatility can really help compensate Melo's lack of defense.

Taj is good, but he's a role player, albeit a good one. You don't sacrifice a star for a role player. That's ridiculous. Cowley's been wrong numerous times before, so I hope he's definitely wrong on this one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 1h

Lowry, Deng linked to Heat early in NBA free agency http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...story?track=rss

Heat might end up doing something incredible but I would be hardpressed for them to find space for both Lowry & Deng. Lebron would be taking less then the max and Bosh / Wade would be taking significantly less then the max. Right now Heat are approximately $55M under the cap.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Heat might end up doing something incredible but I would be hardpressed for them to find space for both Lowry & Deng. Lebron would be taking less then the max and Bosh / Wade would be taking significantly less then the max. Right now Heat are approximately $55M under the cap.

55 under the cap but likely:

25 to lebron

35 under cap

$25 to Bosh/Wade

10 under the cap

5.5 mill then in roster holds

4.5 under cap

Obviously sign and trade is what would matter plus getting rid of Cole would help out even more.

Wildcard obviously is Lebron, but I think in his angling to be players rep, he'll need to take max.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)

25 to lebron

35 under cap

$25 to Bosh/Wade

10 under the cap

4.5 under cap

Obviously sign and trade is what would matter plus getting rid of Cole would help out even more.

Wildcard obviously is Lebron, but I think in his angling to be players rep, he'll need to take max.

LeBron's not getting $25 million a year, he's getting somewhere around $22 million.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)

What would Deng want? He made $14m last year. i think the Bulls were offering 10?

James - $20.7

Wade - $12 (significant pay cut)

Bosh - $16 (significant pay cut)

Deng - $10

Total: $58.7, over the cap and they still need to sign others.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

Note: I know he is not 24 too. I know he's gotten better each and every season and when he gets starter minutes he's been extremely productive at the 4 and well worth his contract.

I love Taj but I actually think people are starting to overvalue him.

Taj Gibson is not going to be the reason I'm not getting Carmelo Anthony. Give me a Rose, Melo, Noah core however you have to do it and figure out the rest later.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)

25 to lebron

35 under cap

$25 to Bosh/Wade

10 under the cap

4.5 under cap

The Heat having any chance at significant upgrades lies in Lebron taking below max. You also didn't factor in the fact that they have to resign Haslem (as that was supposedly a hand shake deal when he opted out). My understanding is they are going to have a hard time getting Deng or Lowry to come or anyone at that price point (especially since they won't have access to the MLE).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)

He really isn't all that different of a player as he was when he came into the league. He has become more assertive on offense which is helpful but his efficiency on that end hasn't really changed much during his time in Chicago, his rebounding was actually worse last year than his rookie year, and the rest of his numbers are pretty similar.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=3009202:date=Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:32 AM:name=Buehrle>Wood)-->
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
<!--quotec-->I wonder if Carmelo knows who Taj Gibson is.

That's hardly a poster on Taj, what a reach...I guess defensive players should just run the opposite way lest they get 'posterized'. -_-

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
That's hardly a poster on Taj, what a reach...I guess defensive players should just run the opposite way lest they get 'posterized'. -_-

Everyone gets posterized. Hell, it happened to me in intramurals in Carbondale.

I thought teams could go over the salary cap (e.g. go into luxury tax) as long as it's re-signing their own players. Or am I completely crazy? Is this not the same situation with the Heat?

Example: They sign several free agents from other teams before the re-sign LBJ, Wade, and Bosh. Then it doesn't matter where they sit in regards to the salary cap because they can go over it as long as they pay luxury tax. So all of them could still get max deals, right? They would just end up paying like $100M in luxury tax.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I thought teams could go over the salary cap (e.g. go into luxury tax) as long as it's re-signing their own players. Or am I completely crazy? Is this not the same situation with the Heat?

Example: They sign several free agents from other teams before the re-sign LBJ, Wade, and Bosh. Then it doesn't matter where they sit in regards to the salary cap because they can go over it as long as they pay luxury tax. So all of them could still get max deals, right? They would just end up paying like $100M in luxury tax.

You can't sign other guys first and then sign your own guys. Bird rights don't work that way.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
The Heat having any chance at significant upgrades lies in Lebron taking below max. You also didn't factor in the fact that they have to resign Haslem (as that was supposedly a hand shake deal when he opted out). My understanding is they are going to have a hard time getting Deng or Lowry to come or anyone at that price point (especially since they won't have access to the MLE).

James - $20.7 (max)

Wade - $11 (significant pay cut)

Bosh - $13 (significant pay cut)

Haslem - $4

Existing Contracts: $2.8

That would put them at $51.5m. I believe the cap is $63m. That would leave $11.5m in cap space. But, that's assuming Wade and Bosh take HUGE cuts.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
He really isn't all that different of a player as he was when he came into the league. He has become more assertive on offense which is helpful but his efficiency on that end hasn't really changed much during his time in Chicago, his rebounding was actually worse last year than his rookie year, and the rest of his numbers are pretty similar.

I disagree. Last year when he was getting starters minutes, he was very productive and his offensive game has improved significantly. Not sure his efficiency has changed but he's far more productive and more dangerous a threat and defensively he's extremely good.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
You can't sign other guys first and then sign your own guys. Bird rights don't work that way.

Okay. I figured Bird rights must not come into play in that case (because teams would have been doing this already), but wasn't sure if it was just owners being cheap.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
James - $20.7 (max)

Wade - $11 (significant pay cut)

Bosh - $13 (significant pay cut)

Haslem - $4

Existing Contracts: $2.8

That would put them at $51.5m. I believe the cap is $63m. That would leave $11.5m in cap space. But, that's assuming Wade and Bosh take HUGE cuts.

Haslem opted out.

You also aren't including cap holds.