2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
I still think, that at the end of the day, the ability to close out a game and put your team on your shoulder offensively matters almost more than anything in the NBA. I'm not sure if AD will ever have the closing ability of LeBron or Durant.

Pretty much every championship team ever has had either a hall of fame PF/C or a defensive anchor. The only example I can think of that didn't were the first three peat bulls and maybe the bad boys pistons. Big men are pretty valuable.

Even a Dwight led team beat a Lebron led team in 09 and Davis is already better offensively than Dwight ever was.

Edited by Boogua

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Even with peak Duncan, I never thought he should definitely be the guy to take the last shot on that team. But then again, the Spurs are a really bad example of hero ball, which is kind of what I'm talking about right now.

Spurs used to be a really slow-paced team in his heyday

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
The 9 years of age difference had me lean AD.

True. But Lebron can basically carry a team to the Finals. For all the dominance AD has shown, i'm not ready to go there yet. Also, for some reason I have this feeling centers have shorter careers, but I'm not really sure that's true anymore. I feel like Dirk, a more physical center than most, is still going fine and he's in year 16 and age 36.

More meat-head takes from meat-heads on Rose:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/13/donovan-m...t-derrick-rose/

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Assuming AD maxes out he'll be right in line with the best of KG. More shotblocking, less passing. Would you take peak KG over LeBron or Durant? The answer for me is hell f***ing no.

Sure, if his max is KG, then yes. I just think his max is higher than that. He's a MUCH better shot blocker, less assists (but less turnovers), he's going to shoot better from the field, and he has shown that he has more potential as a scorer than KG.

Last year's season stats for Anthony Davis (age 20) were on par with KGs stats when he was 22 (this was the first year they're comparable) on a per game basis. The advanced stats has Davis in a landslide. There's no reason to think he can't be better than KG.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
True. But Lebron can basically carry a team to the Finals. For all the dominance AD has shown, i'm not ready to go there yet. Also, for some reason I have this feeling centers have shorter careers, but I'm not really sure that's true anymore. I feel like Dirk, a more physical center than most, is still going fine and he's in year 16 and age 36.

More meat-head takes from meat-heads on Rose:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/13/donovan-m...t-derrick-rose/

Dirk's never been a center.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Sure, if his max is KG, then yes. I just think his max is higher than that. He's a MUCH better shot blocker, less assists (but less turnovers), he's going to shoot better from the field, and he has shown that he has more potential as a scorer than KG.

Last year's season stats for Anthony Davis (age 20) were on par with KGs stats when he was 22 (this was the first year they're comparable) on a per game basis. The advanced stats has Davis in a landslide. There's no reason to think he can't be better than KG.

Higher than KG and you're crossing over into peak Hakeem territory. I don't think he's that good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
Better than a sure fire first ballot HOFer? That is a pretty gutsy call.

Not just a sure fire first ballot HOF but a top 5-10 player of all time. I highly doubt it happens but hey, like you said, gutsy call.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
AD will be better than Duncan when he retires.

/runs and hides

Better stats, PER, WARP? Yes. But a lot of Duncan's legacy lies on his postseason success and overall playoff appearances. I can't see AD touching that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
I'm still taking Lebron or Durant.

If I am choosing my franchise cornerstone from here on out, I don't see how you can pick Lebron or Durant over AD. Durant is a finished product and Lebron is set to decline in a year or 2. OTOH Davis is growing like crazy and no one knows what his potential could be.

AD is already a force on offense with his athleticism and would only get better with refined post moves. On defense, he will likely win 3-4 DPOY before he retires, that's what separates him from Durant.

All the talks of closing games is not merited either. I could see AD getting the ball at the end of games. He's already won a game at the last second this year on a play called for him. It's not like he's Shaq or Howard who you can hack or trap in the post to take them out of the equation. He will be more effective in that role once he develops a more reliable offensive game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
Not just a sure fire first ballot HOF but a top 5-10 player of all time. I highly doubt it happens but hey, like you said, gutsy call.

I am not going to say it won't happen, because the kid has a ceiling, but I think many have forgotten exactly how good Duncan was when he first came up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
Oh my goodness jesus H christ. So in a little over an hour, we've got Davis surpassing peak KG, Hakeem, Duncan and being more valuable going forward than a top 5 player of all-time, injury proof, physical marvel and the greatest offensive wing talent of all-time?

#soxtalk

I think maybe for the first time ever you and I agree completely.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
Oh my goodness jesus H christ. So in a little over an hour, we've got Davis surpassing peak KG, Hakeem, Duncan and being more valuable going forward than a top 5 player of all-time, injury proof, physical marvel and the greatest offensive wing talent of all-time?

#soxtalk

The fact that he's top 5 player (still debatable) player of all time speaks more on his overall body of work and his career accomplishments. You can't deny that he will not be the best player in the league in the near future.