2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
I'm already tired of the DRose fluff pieces. I'm beyond excited for his return and I can't wait to see him in action but I just don't care how he looks in practice.

I care immensely. If he's physically looking strong, the in game stuff will happen. Will there be rust, sure, but this process with team USA is great to help get some of that rust off and build his game shape, etc. The key is him being physically "back" and the next question and huge key is obviously his ability to maintain his health.

People are trying their best to say things that make it sound like more than fluff. Not just "he looks good," but he looks amazing and better than before and his game is going to the next level yada yada

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
I care immensely. If he's physically looking strong, the in game stuff will happen. Will there be rust, sure, but this process with team USA is great to help get some of that rust off and build his game shape, etc. The key is him being physically "back" and the next question and huge key is obviously his ability to maintain his health.

We got the same stuff last year. It doesn't mean a damn thing until he actually gets out there and plays.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
Bulls moving on from K Love. Surprise Surprise.

Wouldn't be shocked if they were told by Minn that they were taking one of the other offers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
People are trying their best to say things that make it sound like more than fluff. Not just "he looks good," but he looks amazing and better than before and his game is going to the next level yada yada

To a certain degree though, it IS surprising that he's playing as well as he is. He's apparently been dominating all of the guards so far, especially defensively.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
To a certain degree though, it IS surprising that he's playing as well as he is. He's apparently been dominating all of the guards so far, especially defensively.

Ya, he's competing for a spot on a team filled with great players. I think that makes it a little more note worthy than previous reports from previous years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
And plays for a season, not a week or two.

This is the key. While he was pretty bad at the beginning of last year, he looked fine athletically so there was no reason to think he wouldn't have played at a high level had he stayed healthy. The problem is that we are talking about a guy who has now missed basically two whole seasons and missed half of the prior season so there really is no reason to have faith in him staying healthy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)

He was looking better than ever and his vertical was up last year too. It's all fluff, don't give a damn until he's playing in real games.

So, I just read Zach Lowe's piece on the lottery. (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/struggling-to-reinvent-the-nba-draft-lottery/)

I gotta say, I'm not sure why "tanking" is that big of a deal and why the lottery system needs to change. Isn't it a good idea that if your team sucks you should get the best choice of players so that you don't suck anymore? And if you're the best team you shouldn't get a high pick that will only add to your dominance?

And let's not pretend like teams that suck for multiple years in a row come out with super teams. Charlotte hasn't. Cleveland hasn't. I'm not sure any team has.

edit: 2 seconds after I posted this I thought about the Thunder. I guess they sucked and got Durant and Westbrook at 2 and 4. I think they're an outlier though.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
I gotta say, I'm not sure why "tanking" is that big of a deal and why the lottery system needs to change.

Why reward teams for intentionally being bad? Why should fans be subject to watching teams that lose on purpose?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Why reward teams for intentionally being bad? Why should fans be subject to watching teams that lose on purpose?

Because it's not really a reward for being bad purposefully, it's a reward for being bad period. No 50 win team is tanking the next season to get another playoff piece. The teams that tank are teams that aren't going to be very good anyway. Philly tanking next year is a smart move on their part because there's no way they're making the playoffs. So why NOT tank? Why waste money on FA's and trades only to get marginally better but still be awful? That makes no sense.

And to Lowe's point, under most of the proposals you're still not stopping the incentive to tank. Even if your chances of getting a top 3 pick are slightly less than they are now, you're still going to go for it. You're not going to add a bunch of money to your roster because you now have an 11% chance to get the overall pick instead of 16.5%.

I like the idea that if you're in that 7-10 range, you have a mini-playoff and the "winner" automatically gets a top 3 or 5 pick. That makes sense. But scrapping the system altogether to screw the s***ty teams over even more doesn't make much sense.