2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
It wouldn't surprise me either if Atlanta did. But Gortat and Nene put on a pretty good show in playoffs and would be a matchup problem for Cleveland if they are on.

Atlanta's shooting, if hot, is a terrifying playoff team.

Although I agree, I've said the same thing the past 3-4 years and every year Atlanta just flops in the playoffs, so until they can prove to shoot hot when it counts, I'm not too worried about them. Wizards aren't dominating but they got hot at the right moment so i'd still be cautious with them.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Although I agree, I've said the same thing the past 3-4 years and every year Atlanta just flops in the playoffs, so until they can prove to shoot hot when it counts, I'm not too worried about them. Wizards aren't dominating but they got hot at the right moment so i'd still be cautious with them.

They took Pacers to 7 games. They aren't a great team, but, like Don Nelson's GS teams, they could play a spoiler against a vulnerable opponent.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
They took Pacers to 7 games. They aren't a great team, but, like Don Nelson's GS teams, they could play a spoiler against a vulnerable opponent.

True, the pacers were a pretty vulnerable opponent, as were the Bulls with the Wiz.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)

Wow, 5 years 120 million. Quite the commitment to stay in Cleveland. Windhorst was saying earlier this week that it would be silly for Love to commit longterm in the immediate future with the new TV deal right around the corner.

That offense is going to be nasty.

Aren't they going to run into the same problems as in Miami? 3 max/near max guys and then a bunch of scrubs.

I would guess Cleveland becomes the favorite in the East, although I still don't know who can play defense on that team other than Lebron. Maybe they just score 120 a game and don't need to worry about it.

My money is still on the Spurs to repeat. Spurs, Thunder, Cleveland, Chicago.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Aren't they going to run into the same problems as in Miami? 3 max/near max guys and then a bunch of scrubs.

I would guess Cleveland becomes the favorite in the East, although I still don't know who can play defense on that team other than Lebron. Maybe they just score 120 a game and don't need to worry about it.

My money is still on the Spurs to repeat. Spurs, Thunder, Cleveland, Chicago.

But they'll also still have the same solution as Miami...lots of ring-hunting veterans willing to take limited contracts combined with every reason to go over the cap/tax every year to keep adding players. They'll also be helped by a rapidly increasing salary cap.

I will definitely agree with you that the Cavs still would appear underwhelming if they were in the West. They'd be in a dogfight somewhere within the top 4-5 spots, but unless the Bulls can pull off a miracle they're clearly the favorites in the East.

Varejao, Thompson and Waiters are better than any fourth wheel they had in Miami. Cavs are definitely the team to beat in the East, especially if Kyrie takes another step in his natural progression.

I am just disappointed that even with the Bulls involved, the Cavs didn't have to give up anymore than the original rumored deal. Losing Thompson would really hurt their front court depth.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Varejao, Thompson and Waiters are better than any fourth wheel they had in Miami. Cavs are definitely the team to beat in the East, especially if Kyrie takes another step in his natural progression.

I am just disappointed that even with the Bulls involved, the Cavs didn't have to give up anymore than the original rumored deal. Losing Thompson would really hurt their front court depth.

Those guys definitely have more upside than what the Heat were trotting out there, but the Heat role players were more versatile and fit Lebron better than any of the guys you just named.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)

Well there is an extra first round pick thrown in, but seriously the only way the Bulls offer really would have made a difference is if Minnesota was just dumb enough to believe they could compete this year

So if they sign Marion that roster will have: Kyrie, Waiters, Lebron, Love, Varejao, Marion and Thompson as their top 7? Yeesh that's pretty stacked. Pau is seriously going to have to be our number 1 weapon against them.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Those guys definitely have more upside than what the Heat were trotting out there, but the Heat role players were more versatile and fit Lebron better than any of the guys you just named.

I think that's fair. But if(huge if obviously) Kyrie is healthy, this Cavs big 3 is better than the Heat big 3 imo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:58 AM)
Let's overreact to a 36 year old wing a bit more, eh?

When they already have the greatest player in the world, a top ten player and an all star point guard, the ability to attract solid vets like Marion for less than market value are what will push CLE from great to finals contender. It's not an overreaction at all. Not only did the Bulls not land him, he went to their biggest competitor.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
I think that's fair. But if(huge if obviously) Kyrie is healthy, this Cavs big 3 is better than the Heat big 3 imo.

It depends on which version of the big 3. Last year's is the only one that I think this Cavs version can be better than. Last year's Heat team went through one of the weakest Eastern conferences ever though.

If Rose gets hurt again they should be able to walk into the finals like the Heat did last year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
So if they sign Marion that roster will have: Kyrie, Waiters, Lebron, Love, Varejao, Marion and Thompson as their top 7? Yeesh that's pretty stacked. Pau is seriously going to have to be our number 1 weapon against them.

Don't forget Miller too. And maybe the corpse of Ray Allen.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)

No way. MAYBE the last year with Wade becoming old man Wade, but no way from 2010-2013 when Wade was at near-prime. People completely undervalue Bosh too. He's a damn good player who was forced into a really weird role for those Heat teams.