2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
But I'd prefer none of the above

Yeah, the poor Cavs will have to suffer through a bad bench in order to have the greatest player in the league, a top ten player and an all star point guard. Sucks to be them.

With as much depth as the bulls have they still have huge unprovens at the 2 and the 3 (and the 1).

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must have missed the conference call where everyone decided that Kevin Love is injury prone. Yes, he missed a ton of games in 12/13 with the broken hand. Other than that, he's played 77, 55 (lockout year), 73, 60 and 81. Even with the lockout subtracting 16 potential games, that's an average of about 70 a year. Unless you expect him to hurt himself while doing pushups on a yearly basis, that's not really much of a history to go on. Irving has a much more sketchy history so far. Besides, even if they do get hurt, they have two guys that can put up numbers off the bench in Waiters and Thompson (I'm assuming Varejao starts with Lebron and Love).

I find this position funny given the team we all support. Even if you ignore Rose (which is a glaring issue to ignore), Noah has played 70 games once in the last 5 years (lockout caveat as well to be fair) and is frequently hobbling around in the playoffs, Gasol has missed 55 games the last two years and Butler had issues last year as well. That's really a case of the crow calling the raven black.

There are enough real issues to worry about with Cleveland without picking nits. The bottom line is they're adding the best player in the league and another top-15 player without losing anything mind-blowing from last year's squad. I think they'll probably get the 2 seed because they'll have to work out some kinks, but they'll be a force to be reckoned with at the end of the year.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
I must have missed the conference call where everyone decided that Kevin Love is injury prone. Yes, he missed a ton of games in 12/13 with the broken hand. Other than that, he's played 77, 55 (lockout year), 73, 60 and 81. Even with the lockout subtracting 16 potential games, that's an average of about 70 a year. Unless you expect him to hurt himself while doing pushups on a yearly basis, that's not really much of a history to go on. Irving has a much more sketchy history so far. Besides, even if they do get hurt, they have two guys that can put up numbers off the bench in Waiters and Thompson (I'm assuming Varejao and Marion start).

I find this position funny given the team we all support. Even if you ignore Rose (which is a glaring issue to ignore), Noah has played 70 games once in the last 5 years (lockout caveat as well to be fair) and is frequently hobbling around in the playoffs, Gasol has missed 55 games the last two years and Butler had issues last year as well. That's really a case of the crow calling the raven black.

There are enough real issues to worry about with Cleveland without picking nits. The bottom line is they're adding the best player in the league and another top-15 player without losing anything mind-blowing from last year's squad. I think they'll probably get the 2 seed because they'll have to work out some kinks, but they'll be a force to be reckoned with at the end of the year.

Well you know the Bulls are going to win their regular season trophy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
What irritates me about this CLE talk is the stupid assumption that all of the best players on CLE will put up equivalent numbers to their previous seasons. If we learned nothing else from the Miami experiment, it's that somebody's going to take a big hit to their counting stats

I would guess that's going to be Irving, but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. The main thing to remember here is that when you take LeBron James and give him two other really good players and role players he has a 100% success rate in reaching the finals. I see no reason to think its not going to happen until I actually see it happen.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
What irritates me about this CLE talk is the stupid assumption that all of the best players on CLE will put up equivalent numbers to their previous seasons. If we learned nothing else from the Miami experiment, it's that somebody's going to take a big hit to their counting stats

The Big 3 averaged 26.7/25.5/18.7 their first year and 27.1/22.1/18 their second year with Wade and Bosh each getting about 3 fewer minutes the second year. If you prefer shots, they went 18.8/18.2/13.7 and 18.9/17.1/14.2. After that, Wade started fading and Bosh turned into a jumpshooter, so it's a bit less relevant.

Last year, Cleveland's guys averaged 18.5 (Love), 17.6 (Lebron) and 17.4 (Irving) shots. That's not THAT big a dropoff relative to the Heat. Lebron's touches don't need to change at all, and Love will still get plenty of jumpers. Irving just drops from 21/22 points on 17/18 shots down to about 18 a game on 14 to 15 shots.

The one caveat is Waiters, who needs to signficantly cut back on his chucking. I would be exploring the market with him if I were the Cavs...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
He's a super douche anyway

And the ultimate troll.

He trolled fans after Lebron went to Miami and is now doing it the other way. His die hard listeners are real pieces of work as well.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
I must have missed the conference call where everyone decided that Kevin Love is injury prone. Yes, he missed a ton of games in 12/13 with the broken hand. Other than that, he's played 77, 55 (lockout year), 73, 60 and 81. Even with the lockout subtracting 16 potential games, that's an average of about 70 a year. Unless you expect him to hurt himself while doing pushups on a yearly basis, that's not really much of a history to go on. Irving has a much more sketchy history so far. Besides, even if they do get hurt, they have two guys that can put up numbers off the bench in Waiters and Thompson (I'm assuming Varejao starts with Lebron and Love).

I think Cleveland is a really good team and better then those Heat teams. Deeper and better. However, I also think the Bulls are better and some other teams in the league are better as well. Bottom line, I don't think anyone should be crowning them right now. They can be beaten, but it will be tough. They are an excellent squad.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah, that was pretty lame. Obviously I support KDs move, I wish Rose would follow suit.

I totally disagree and want Rose to play every single game he can before the season.

If he's going to get hurt he's going to get hurt, limiting his minutes or time on the court just isn't going to prevent it. We've already seen that, a year and a half off and he lasted 10 games. When the regular season rolls around you can't bench him until the playoffs to protect his health. Best we can do is have him get himself 100% ready to go and be ready for game speed by the first game of the season. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
I totally disagree and want Rose to play every single game he can before the season.

If he's going to get hurt he's going to get hurt, limiting his minutes or time on the court just isn't going to prevent it. We've already seen that, a year and a half off and he lasted 10 games. When the regular season rolls around you can't bench him until the playoffs to protect his health. Best we can do is have him get himself 100% ready to go and be ready for game speed by the first game of the season. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.

Completely agree.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)

Yup.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
5th'ed

If Rose had been healthy the last two seasons I wouldn't want him involved though.

Of course. We would have all wanted him to rest after those championship runs.

:crying

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
5th'ed

If Rose had been healthy the last two seasons I wouldn't want him involved though.

6th'ed plus definitely agree with you on your point that if he played last two season I wouldn't want him a part of it. I totally understand KD in that light pulling out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
Sounds like the Sixers are in on Love deal and would send Thadeus Young to Minn for Bennett.

That's a terrible move for the Sixers.

Young is like their only good player and they're going to give him away for a guy who was absolutely dreadful in his first year.