2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
Tom Haberstroh

@tomhaberstroh

Highest Pct of Team Points Finals History.

1993 Michael Jordan 38.4%

2015 LeBron James 38.3%

Still not as good as MJ.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
Joakim Noah's gonna be like "I'd like to thank Lucifer for giving me this opportunity and cursing Cleveland".

giphy.gif

That would be the single greatest acceptance speech of all time.

So really in the end this was basically just a repeat of the Memphis series for Golden State.

Making those key adjustments after game 3, not playing Bogut, starting Iggy.

Really Cleveland did so well just to win 2 games really considering who they had.

LeBron needs spacing in the worst possible way in order to be effective offensively, and when Delly stopped making shots and JR Smith wasn't picking up the slack, they were never going to be good enough offensively.

It'll be a very interesting off-season for Cleveland. That Varejao contract extension looks like a horrrible decision, it might cost them Tristan Thompson if someone offered him close to a max deal. Probably depends on how much luxury tax Gilbert wants to end up paying really.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/lebron-jam...p;dlvrit=206567

Great read on LeBron's legacy.

It's also interesting to think about how for so long LeBron was billed as a guy it would be easy to build a winner around. How he made his teammates so much better than Jordan did.

Well, I guess it isn't anymore. LeBron is an enigma. He's best when he's dominating the ball and caring about others second. But his teams are best built for him to facilitate and involve others.

The best teams to build around LeBron are ones that allow him to dominate the ball, but allow him to get others the ball. He needs to dominate and facilitate.

The best team that I can think of for LeBron would have been the '10-'11 Bulls with him taking Rose's place. Noah and Boozer taking care of the boards, Deng handling tough defensive assignments and Brewer/Korver being out there for whatever is needed. Asik and Taj off the bench. Just forget Bogans.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)

It's also interesting to think about how for so long LeBron was billed as a guy it would be easy to build a winner around. How he made his teammates so much better than Jordan did.

Well, I guess it isn't anymore. LeBron is an enigma. He's best when he's dominating the ball and caring about others second. But his teams are best built for him to facilitate and involve others.

The best teams to build around LeBron are ones that allow him to dominate the ball, but allow him to get others the ball. He needs to dominate and facilitate.

The best team that I can think of for LeBron would have been the '10-'11 Bulls with him taking Rose's place. Noah and Boozer taking care of the boards, Deng handling tough defensive assignments and Brewer/Korver being out there for whatever is needed. Asik and Taj off the bench. Just forget Bogans.

at first i thought WHAT??? then i continued to read what you wrote, you know, you are right.

my bad. a very good analysis.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:42 AM)
giphy.gif

That would be the single greatest acceptance speech of all time.

niceeee...... :notworthy

btw.... in case anyone forgot.

CLE LOST. ..........

yessss. put that on the board.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)

I'd go with the 09-10 Magic, the team that made the Finals that season.

I'm subbing Lebron for either Turkloglu or Lewis here. But it had a dominant 2 way center in Howard (in what was his best season), and a 3PT trigger happy team.

But it's a fun argument to have really.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Bet the house. Cavs are going to win tonight and win the Series. LeBron is motivated. LeBron is insanely motivated. Only way GS wins is if the West truly is destined to beat the weaker East every year.

Greg,

Please start making predictions more often, I'm anxious to hop on the fade train with you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 12:36 AM)

They were saying the same things about Jordan his first 7 seasons. One player can't win. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Irving been healthy. GS may still have won. I never thought LeBron was as good as Jordan, I think he could have been better if he had the same fire, but he's good enough to make a glorified expansion roster without Irving and Love, a team that gave GS a decent scare.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bull..._medium=twitter

savvy move from him. Hope he stays healthy.

This would be absolutely terrible for the bulls FWIW, Butler taking a short term deal and being a fully unrestricted FA where the Bulls can't even match his offersheets (even though they could offer him a year more than other teams IIRC). That would be a terrible result of not offering him extra money last offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
This would be absolutely terrible for the bulls FWIW, Butler taking a short term deal and being a fully unrestricted FA where the Bulls can't even match his offersheets (even though they could offer him a year more than other teams IIRC). That would be a terrible result of not offering him extra money last offseason.

The Bulls will offer him a max Qualifying Offer. That means that he'll probably sign a 3 year $50 million deal with a team. Then the Bulls will match. He'll become unrestricted in the summer of 2018. Bulls will own hide Bird Rights at that time. Butler will be a Bull next year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
The Bulls will offer him a max Qualifying Offer. That means that he'll probably sign a 3 year $50 million deal with a team. Then the Bulls will match. He'll become unrestricted in the summer of 2018. Bulls will own hide Bird Rights at that time. Butler will be a Bull next year.

If he says he's looking at "shorter term" options that could easily mean he'll sign a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)

The Bulls offered him extra money in the off-season. The full max. He wasn't interested in it and bet on himself to get more money. I do agree this wouldn't be good for the Bulls, but I can't blame Jimmy and I do think it will result in a still hungry Jimmy. Bulls still would be in the driver seat. All this said, this is clearly Jimmy's team and hopefully Hoiberg can help with that process. It will be interesting how everyone adjusts to Hoiberg.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
If he says he's looking at "shorter term" options that could easily mean he'll sign a 1 year deal.

If he goes 1 year, he's pretty much stuck to a short dollar deal. Most likely is a 3 year deal with an option out that will really be the equivalent of a 2 year deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
The Bulls offered him extra money in the off-season. The full max. He wasn't interested in it and bet on himself to get more money. I do agree this wouldn't be good for the Bulls, but I can't blame Jimmy and I do think it will result in a still hungry Jimmy. Bulls still would be in the driver seat. All this said, this is clearly Jimmy's team and hopefully Hoiberg can help with that process. It will be interesting how everyone adjusts to Hoiberg.

Really? Can you back that up with a reference? Because my memory says that they werne't going to go the full max on him and that's why he didn't get an extension done, he was "betting on himself" to be able to get that max deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Really? Can you back that up with a reference? Because my memory says that they werne't going to go the full max on him and that's why he didn't get an extension done, he was "betting on himself" to be able to get that max deal.

Depends on what source you go by. I've read some stuff on real gm and KC that indicated Bulls eventually made last ditch max offer (which is still less then what is here). Cowley reported the max offer Bulls made was 4 / 40 and Bulls and Jimmy were 2.5M apart. Not sure what the truth is. I did also find an earlier article from KC mentioning a difference of about 2M, which in hindsight is awful cause this will cost a lot more. No one expected Jimmy Buckets to be this good this fast, but I did expect him to be a better player then he was two years ago and at that point, he was already a guy worthy of a 10M offer (Given that Alex Burks got that much money).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Depends on what source you go by. I've read some stuff on real gm and KC that indicated Bulls eventually made last ditch max offer (which is still less then what is here). Cowley reported the max offer Bulls made was 4 / 40 and Bulls and Jimmy were 2.5M apart. Not sure what the truth is. I did also find an earlier article from KC mentioning a difference of about 2M, which in hindsight is awful cause this will cost a lot more. No one expected Jimmy Buckets to be this good this fast, but I did expect him to be a better player then he was two years ago and at that point, he was already a guy worthy of a 10M offer (Given that Alex Burks got that much money).

The numbers you mention Cowley reporting are in the ranges of the ones I heard and I was generally ok with the Bulls making those offers, but man if Butler can take a short term deal with an opt-out that winds up being a huge mistake.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)

then trade him tomorrow to the la lakers.... fvvck this, the team needs to rebuild anyway with the coaching staff. lets make the transition easy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
The numbers you mention Cowley reporting are in the ranges of the ones I heard and I was generally ok with the Bulls making those offers, but man if Butler can take a short term deal with an opt-out that winds up being a huge mistake.

It could be a huge mistake either way. He could break his leg in a game and never sniff a max deal ever again. Both parties are looking forward to the cap getting increased, hopefully both parties can work something out and Jimmy can remain a bull for a long time (with no broken leg)