Teams Interested in Viciedo

Y2Jimmy0

trading DV is and will be very interesting. DV, if needed can be fillers for the of, dh and even 1b but rarely.

that means teams with holes in the of or dh can look to him.

now with the all star game soon to come, the teams in good standing can make a push, now the question is

which are the teams that still feel they can make a push and which will need a player like DV.

OAK just made a huge trade for 2 pit from the sCrubs, will sea still want DV? sfo need DV, how bout the AL east?

in any trade we make now will include dank as well, since oak just got stronger.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
His defence is his main liability, but not getting picked off doesn't mean you're an average baserunner. When you have his speed, you often go one base at a time. That adds up in sucking value.

He has enough speed to play the outfielder every day. That's average speed and the average guy doesn't always go from 1st to 3rd on a base hit. That always depends on where the single is hit, if its hit soft or hard or into a gap rather than at the fielder. Until you can quantify his base running sucks I'll stick with average being as objective as I can here without trying to disparage the guy's whole skill set. You can also have average or even below average speed but be a smart base runner, always being alert to advance when a ball get away from a catcher , not getting doubled off on line drives , not running when the ball is hit to the left side when you're on 2nd , being able to judge weather or not a blooper will fall. Not even saying Tank does those things well. It's just that it's something that's really hard to judge because even the best and smartest base runners make mistakes or get thrown out on great throws when they run because they know only a great throw will get them. Then all of that depends on game situations or weather a coach sends you .

My main point being I get it. So far his hitting hasn't developed and he has an iron glove But you don't have to throw his base running into the sucking category to make your point unless he's Paul Konerko. There is a point between sucking and above average that posters ignore and instead choose hyberbole instead of facts to make their point.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
I agree. In the back of my mind there is always the belief he can hit 40 homers, if he does it somewhere else that would suck

This is exactly why teams still want him . Among those saying he is what he is , would you be willing to bet your life on it or be willing to trade a valuable but blocked prospect for a shot at a DH would can give you just 1 40 HR season ?

The reality of the situation for us is if we trade Viciedo now, we enter next offseason with holes at LF & DH and a huge lack of power in our lineup. Given some of our other needs, primary C & SP, that's a pretty large to-do-list for just one offseason and with no solid internal options to fill them. What's it going to cost us in terms of cash and prospects to fill all these holes from the outside? Will there be other options even available?

People can hate all they want on Viciedo and be eager to move him, but when Jordan Danks is the next best option we have in-house, things can get a lot uglier. Having said this, I'm sure the stats-oriented posters will say Danks' superior defense and base-running would make him a more valuable player, which I would find laughable. At some point, certain posters have to accept the fact that baseball is not context-neutral and teams with the highest WARs aren't awarded automatic playoff spots. A team playing 81 games at the Cell with Conor at 3B, Garcia in RF, & Danks in LF (or someone like him) isn't going to do well offensively over the course of a season. It's critical to have some balance in your lineup and having those three guys at power-based positions would be a disaster IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 03:40 AM)
He has enough speed to play the outfielder every day.

Does he though? He's pretty much played his way out of the position for me, and I would put him in the bottom tenth in terms of speedy outfielders. Putting most 2B, 3B and SS ahead of him, that would make him comfortably below average speed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 06:27 AM)
The reality of the situation for us is if we trade Viciedo now, we enter next offseason with holes at LF & DH and a huge lack of power in our lineup. Given some of our other needs, primary C & SP, that's a pretty large to-do-list for just one offseason and with no solid internal options to fill them. What's it going to cost us in terms of cash and prospects to fill all these holes from the outside? Will there be other options even available?

People can hate all they want on Viciedo and be eager to move him, but when Jordan Danks is the next best option we have in-house, things can get a lot uglier. Having said this, I'm sure the stats-oriented posters will say Danks' superior defense and base-running would make him a more valuable player, which I would find laughable. At some point, certain posters have to accept the fact that baseball is not context-neutral and teams with the highest WARs aren't awarded automatic playoff spots. A team playing 81 games at the Cell with Conor at 3B, Garcia in RF, & Danks in LF (or someone like him) isn't going to do well offensively over the course of a season. It's critical to have some balance in your lineup and having those three guys at power-based positions would be a disaster IMO.

Danks isn't the next man up. Michael Taylor is.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
Danks isn't the next man up. Michael Taylor is.

Danks has posted a better wRC+ over his last 600 AAA plate appearances than Taylor, is the better defender and probably the better baserunner. What makes you think Taylor is next in line exactly? Because he was a failed Baseball America top 100 prospect? The fact that Danks has more major league plate appearances despite never being a highly regarded prospect is pretty telling IMO. No one up until now has wanted to give Taylor an extended look. What is it about him that you think will cause Hahn to be that guy?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Danks has posted a better wRC+ over his last 600 AAA plate appearances than Taylor, is the better defender and probably the better baserunner. What makes you think Taylor is next in line exactly? Because he was a failed Baseball America top 100 prospect? The fact that Danks has more major league plate appearances despite never being a highly regarded prospect is pretty telling IMO. No one up until now has wanted to give Taylor an extended look. What is it about him that you think will cause Hahn to be that guy?

Danks has also seen more of the majors and we know more about what he can produce at that level. As you said, Danks isn't gonna be (a starting) part of a winning White Sox team, and we know that. Hahn saw enough in Taylor to give up a reasonable piece for him, and that wasn't just to be AAA filler.

Danks has also seen more of the majors and we know more about what he can produce at that level. As you said, Danks isn't gonna be (a starting) part of a winning White Sox team, and we know that. Hahn saw enough in Taylor to give up a reasonable piece for him, and that wasn't just to be AAA filler.

Jordan Danks is fine as a 4th OF, to be used mostly as a pinch-runner/defensive replacement. Biggest reason Sierra gets the nod over him is that two of the starting OF are left-handed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)

Wait. That is not the reality of the situation. You are not going to trade Viciedo for cash. The object of trading him is get a a player(s) back who fill a hole. So if you trade him and get another outfielder, a SP or C in return, you are not worse off. You only trade him if you get something of equal value back. The Boston article yesterday mentioned one of their 3 young right handed starting picthers in AAA/ML and a prospect. That might fill the 4th SP spot and maybe you get lucky w a prospect. You don't trade Viciedo unless it fills an existing need or unless you get what you perceive to be a better OF option.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Jordan Danks is fine as a 4th OF, to be used mostly as a pinch-runner/defensive replacement. Biggest reason Sierra gets the nod over him is that two of the starting OF are left-handed.

Danks isn't on the roster of a contending team. So I'd rather look for someone who will.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
Wait. That is not the reality of the situation. You are not going to trade Viciedo for cash. The object of trading him is get a a player(s) back who fill a hole. So if you trade him and get another outfielder, a SP or C in return, you are not worse off. You only trade him if you get something of equal value back. The Boston article yesterday mentioned one of their 3 young right handed starting picthers in AAA/ML and a prospect. That might fill the 4th SP spot and maybe you get lucky w a prospect. You don't trade Viciedo unless it fills an existing need or unless you get what you perceive to be a better OF option.

Umm, have you read this thread or countless others? Half this site would like to dump Viciedo for scraps.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Umm, have you read this thread or countless others? Half this site would like to dump Viciedo for scraps.

I don't think anybody said scraps. I believe "Maurer is reasonable for him" was about the lowest Viciedo was rated.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
By the way, whilst we're on Brandon Maurer, he's been really excellent since going to the bullpen. Had one outing in AAA where he K'd 9 in 3.1 IP. I'd rather someone back who could potentially start but he could be a Dellin Betances-lite.

If we could get a starter or a prospect that could be a middle rotation starter I would be pretty stoked.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
Don't battle the resident nerd. Dude has never actually seen a baseball game in his life, but he'll tell you all about it. Sabr and s*** like that. Soxtalk decided to make all the internet dudes mods.

Jake has become the only dude that actually knows wtf he's talking about. Good job Soxtalk.

Witesoxfan, eminor, rabbit and the rest of these lame ass douches have become the voice of White Sox baseball. Bunch of b****es.

They will continue to project players they've never actually seen.

Yeah, I don't know what this is exactly, but it isn't acceptable. Enjoy the time away. Sounds like you don't want to be here anyway.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
The reality of the situation for us is if we trade Viciedo now, we enter next offseason with holes at LF & DH and a huge

lack of power in our lineup. Given some of our other needs, primary C & SP, that's a pretty large to-do-list

for just one offseason and with no solid internal options to fill them. What's it going to cost us in terms of cash

and prospects to fill all these holes from the outside? Will there be other options even available?

this is my opinion, if we trade DV, Dank and maybe GB, I can see the brass dipping into the fa market. in addition

with ref to the trade, again it all depends on the return, did we acquire a C / OF prospects in the trade. Pitching is another

story, the wildcard is did the sox sign Rodon or not, if the sox did, then a fa pitchers is the route to go. the salary of 2015

sox will be where the sox can afford a fa.

the outfield is where the biggest question mark is, maybe even DH however that can be filled if Davidson gets

his game back.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Angels and A's both make moves to strengthen their team. Who else is waiting for the Mariners to overpay for Viciedo?

and is sea going to be forced to trade or make multi trades as well. remember sea just made a crap load

of spending in the offseason. they made that spending for what, to come in 3rd in the American League West?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
I don't think anybody said scraps. I believe "Maurer is reasonable for him" was about the lowest Viciedo was rated.

Took me 8 posts in this thread to find this:

"Anything for Viciedo is pretty good."

There are plenty of other posts along these same lines in this thread and others.

Took me 8 posts in this thread to find this:

"Anything for Viciedo is pretty good."

There are plenty of other posts along these same lines in this thread and others.

I've said that before and I still believe it to be true. I think Viciedo is going to be another Ross Gload. Not a good enough fielder to be a corner OF, but not a good enough hitter to be a 1B/DH.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
and is sea going to be forced to trade or make multi trades as well. remember sea just made a crap load

of spending in the offseason. they made that spending for what, to come in 3rd in the American League West?

Agreed. They are "All in" this year so it seems to the fans eye. If they don't make the playoffs with everything they did in the off season, then some people in the Seattle front office better not to close to his seat because its going to be hot.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
I've said that before and I still believe it to be true. I think Viciedo is going to be another Ross Gload. Not a good enough fielder to be a corner OF, but not a good enough hitter to be a 1B/DH.

They have absolutely nothing in common. Gload was a baseball lifer who hit himself onto a major league roster by sheer persistence, never once ranking as a top prospect...and always reminiscent of a Conor Gillaspie/Mark Grace-Lite type.

They have absolutely nothing in common. Gload was a baseball lifer who hit himself onto a major league roster by sheer persistence, never once ranking as a top prospect...and always reminiscent of a Conor Gillaspie/Mark Grace-Lite type.

Yes, they have very different backgrounds and potential, but they fit into the same positional quandary, so in that manner, they are pretty similar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, I don't know what this is exactly, but it isn't acceptable. Enjoy the time away. Sounds like you don't want to be here anyway.

Thanks! That rambling tirade is unacceptable