Yanks want Danks?

CC is out for the year and someone else posted that the Yanks were looking at him. KW has long loved Betances and Banuelos apparently, though I'm not sure how much that flame flickers anymore, but Hahn has been on their catchers since at least the offseason. Seems like it could work, but I'd want something back, not just a dump. Danks looks like he could still be a winner, and if so the salary isn't a problem, really the move would be more about clearing a lefty slot for Rodon IMO.

Thoughts/rumors on this?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
CC is out for the year and someone else posted that the Yanks were looking at him. KW has long loved Betances and Banuelos apparently, though I'm not sure how much that flame flickers anymore, but Hahn has been on their catchers since at least the offseason. Seems like it could work, but I'd want something back, not just a dump. Danks looks like he could still be a winner, and if so the salary isn't a problem, really the move would be more about clearing a lefty slot for Rodon IMO.

Thoughts/rumors on this?

Yeah, it will be a cold day in hell when they trade Betances for Danks.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)

Thoughts/rumors on this?

Rosenthal just tweeted that Yankees and Cubs were in discussion for Samardzija. Obviously didn't have that piece like the A's did, but hopefully they start looking at Danks.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Rosenthal just tweeted that Yankees and Cubs were in discussion for Samardzija. Obviously didn't have that piece like the A's did, but hopefully they start looking at Danks.

So we take whatever leftovers the Yankees have in their system?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
The Sox would love to get rid of Danks's contract. Decent-upside, A-ball players is all that is that would be needed. Danks is nothing more than a fourth starter with a bad contract.

Disagree here, Danks may be overpaid but his salary won't prevent us from making moves going forward. Therefore, I'd like to see some real value in return or I'd just hold on to him. Not like we're loaded with pitching at the top of our system.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
The Sox would love to get rid of Danks's contract. Decent-upside, A-ball players is all that is that would be needed. Danks is nothing more than a fourth starter with a bad contract.

Agree - his contract is a big anchor.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Agree - his contract is a big anchor.

Dunn's contract is the real anchor here but that's only for 3 more months if he isn't traded before then. Danks has been pitching to the value of his contract and considering the Sox still have two holes to fill in the rotation, I'd say Danks contract is a welcome one at this time.

That said, I'd trade Danks in the right deal. Hopefully for a young starter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
BTW only 9 pitchers in all of baseball have more quality starts than John Danks.

He's on pace for a 3 WAR. Everyone this offseason was talking about how every 1 point of WAR was worth 5M, so he's on pace to earn every bit of that 14M he's making this year.

That's bWAR, fWAR is better and has him on pace for about 1.5.

Dunn's contract isn't an anchor because there are only 3 months left on it. I would think someone would want him as a PH and platoon DH/1B, but we'd have to eat all of that contract for such limits and platoon player that don't play the field much just have a narrow market.

I look at Danks' numbers and I see 4.12, 1.34 and rather modest K numbers. There must be some internal numbers that beef him up a good bit.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
That's bWAR, fWAR is better and has him on pace for about 1.5.

But which was used in reference to the 5M per point?

All I know is the dude has been damn good this year sans 3 or 4 starts. 13 quality starts is a bit to much for me to say he's just been lucky all year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
Dunn's contract isn't an anchor because there are only 3 months left on it. I would think someone would want him as a PH and platoon DH/1B, but we'd have to eat all of that contract for such limits and platoon player that don't play the field much just have a narrow market.

I look at Danks' numbers and I see 4.12, 1.34 and rather modest K numbers. There must be some internal numbers that beef him up a good bit.

13 of his 17 starts are of the quality variety. In those 13 starts he has an ERA of 2.45 and a Whip of 1.06

In his 4 non quality starts he has an ERA of 11.07

So yes, there is def some internal numbers that beefed up his numbers....but over 75% of the time he's been really really good.

Edited by scs787

I think it depends on a couple of things - how much faith we have in Rodon signing and joining us in the near future, as well as whatever we're projecting our budget to be next year.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tK7...amp;output=html

With John next year we are committed to (not counting arbitration) $45 million, without him $30 million, so it's not like his salary is holding us back from much of anything.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
For Danka, I would want back Gary Sanchez and maybe three of the INTL guys that they just signed, specifically Juan De Leon, Jonathan Amundary and Dermis Garcia and cash considerations.

That would be a gigantic haul. No way that happens. If Danks gets moved, it may be similar to what we got back for Javy Vasquez

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
But which was used in reference to the 5M per point?

All I know is the dude has been damn good this year sans 3 or 4 starts. 13 quality starts is a bit to much for me to say he's just been lucky all year.

fWAR values a win at nearly $6M this year I believe. It goes up every year as payrolls and contracts rise.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
How? $34 million owed is an advantage for an ERA of 4?

We'll see I guess.

Those numbers are extremely inflated by 4 starts....Again in over 75% of his starts he has a 2.45 ERA with a Whip of 1.06.

A low 4 era isn't even THAT bad.....It's 73rd among qualified pitchers....I don't think anyone is saying he's gonna net a huge package, but it most certainly should net something decent.

Edited by scs787

I wouldn't say Danks' contract is necessarily bad...not great, but "anchor" is an overstatement if you ask me. If you look at the market for SP's from this past off-season I would say Danks fits right in with the Santana/Nolasco/Garza/Jimenez group that averaged $12M per. So maybe the $14M is slightly high for Danks, but I don't think it would be a huge deterrent in a trade. I mean a worst case scenario we could throw in a total of 5 or 6 Mil spread over 3 years if it made the other team feel better in order to get a better haul. JR Murphy and a A pitcher with a big arm like De Paula seems like it would be a reasonable return.