Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I sure as hell hope not. I'd rather call up Phegley

I love AJ, but I kind of agree with you. If they did, it wouldn't bother me, but I don't think they should. If the Sox were in contention, it's a no brainer, but unless he is bringing a few pitchers with him, it would be nothing but a publicity stunt IMO, and AJ is not exactly playing well. Father time is catching up

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I think the biggest hang up would be Nieto. They can't make Flowers the back up without losing Nieto or trading him. I feel like the org values and respects Flowers too much to cut to cut him loose.

But isn't that a mistake though? I would think they like him as a teammate and clubhouse guy but frankly, he's been abysmal.

Plus AJ has history with the White Sox and i have to think they respect him more.

DFA Flowers and bring on AJ

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I love AJ, but I kind of agree with you. If they did, it wouldn't bother me, but I don't think they should. If the Sox were in contention, it's a no brainer, but unless he is bringing a few pitchers with him, it would be nothing but a publicity stunt IMO, and AJ is not exactly playing well. Father time is catching up

This sums up my feelings on the subject very well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate the guy so much? I understand he's not Johnny Bench, but you have an unusual amount of acrimony towards the guy considering you are a pretty even-keel poster in general.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Just out of curiosity, why do you hate the guy so much? I understand he's not Johnny Bench, but you have an unusual amount of acrimony towards the guy considering you are a pretty even-keel poster in general.

I don't hate the guy, I just see zero reason why they should sign the guy right now. The team is not contending, so I'm not concerned about the upgrade to the catcher position for 3 months. It would just be a nostalgic signing IMO, and I don't really care for those when constructing a baseball roster.

I find it interesting that there's a thread asking how long it'll be before Flowers is DFA'd, and there are mentions in just about every thread about how much Flowers sucks, and then AJ gets DFA'd and there are folks saying they'd rather keep Flowers. I think we can all agree that there is not a great fix at catcher available right now. But, hell, AJ's a better option than Flowers right now.

Look at this way--if he never played for the Sox before, would you consider him as a guy that would fit into the plan Hahn and the Sox have now? They want to acquire players that fit into the long term.

Now, would it feel good to see a headline "Sox DFA Tyler Flowers"? Yes it would. But I'd rather just play out the season, and more specifically, see what they can do over the next few weeks. Maybe they can get a catcher that fits more into the long term plan.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)

I was going to be shocked if there was one person who wanted him here, let alone multiple in this thread.

There's no point in getting him. Sox aren't contending this year anyway, and AJ isn't good on top of it.

Plus, I'm pretty sure no one on the team wants that personality in the clubhouse again.

Edited by IlliniKrush

LOL

Sometimes I actually wonder if I was a Yankees fan in a past life because I never really have disliked the Yankees at all but for some reason I have always HATED the Red Sox, passionately.

I just hate them so bad that I still couldn't even root for them even after the acquired Peavy & Thornton and got those guys rings.

And so wow, what a great thing it is to go into Boston and have entire pathetic organization roll over like pathetic little puppies for the likes of Scott Carroll and co. AND NOW they are not only going to roll over for us but they are going to LICK OUR BALLS TOO by letting us get AJ back for nothing!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SS

MERCY!

God damn it this day awesome!

Sign AJ now, just f***ing DO IT! Give them some s***ty prospect, take back $1M or whatever, and let's do this thing right now so he has the chance to homer against these dips***s before the series is even out!

YES!

Put it on the board!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Look at this way--if he never played for the Sox before, would you consider him as a guy that would fit into the plan Hahn and the Sox have now? They want to acquire players that fit into the long term.

Now, would it feel good to see a headline "Sox DFA Tyler Flowers"? Yes it would. But I'd rather just play out the season, and more specifically, see what they can do over the next few weeks. Maybe they can get a catcher that fits more into the long term plan.

We need a serviceable bridge until we find our next catcher.

My guess is it is virtually impossible to trade for a guy that isn't a project right now. Catchers are incredibly scarce.

Is AJ the long-term answer? No. Is Tyler? No. Is AJ a better player than Tyler? Yes. Will AJ cost you much? No.

I fail to see the argument against.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

Yes because he's better than Tyler Flowers and him being here now he'd be more likely to be here as a stop gap than Flowers next season.

And oh yeah it does matter that he's played here before. It grabs some much much much needed local attention. We are about as irrelevant as it gets right now.

If they don't think they can get T-Flow to bat better than the .095 he's been rocking for the past 5-6 weeks, and they don't like Phegley (not much, if any, better offense and awful D), and they think AJ can offer good handling of the pitching staff...I can see it.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
LOL

Sometimes I actually wonder if I was a Yankees fan in a past life because I never really have disliked the Yankees at all but for some reason I have always HATED the Red Sox, passionately.

I just hate them so bad that I still couldn't even root for them even after the acquired Peavy & Thornton and got those guys rings.

And so wow, what a great thing it is to go into Boston and have entire pathetic organization roll over like pathetic little puppies for the likes of Scott Carroll and co. AND NOW they are not only going to roll over for us but they are going to LICK OUR BALLS TOO by letting us get AJ back for nothing!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SS

MERCY!

God damn it this day awesome!

Sign AJ now, just f***ing DO IT! Give them some s***ty prospect, take back $1M or whatever, and let's do this thing right now so he has the chance to homer against these dips***s before the series is even out!

YES!

Put it on the board!

They won't have to give anything for him if they want him. The $3+ million remaining on his contract is enough to prevent any team from making a claim, and once he clears waivers he will sign for the pro-rated minimum with whomever he chooses from the interested teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
We need a serviceable bridge until we find our next catcher.

My guess is it is virtually impossible to trade for a guy that isn't a project right now. Catchers are incredibly scarce.

Is AJ the long-term answer? No. Is Tyler? No. Is AJ a better player than Tyler? Yes. Will AJ cost you much? No.

This is what makes me say, "why not?" AJ is better than Flowers. There are no other options right now. The Sox could stick with Flowers, but I think we're seeing the real Flowers now...not that guy who was hitting .350 awhile back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)

His personality is grating. Heck he was yakking at Carroll from 1B the other night.

He's not a very good player anymore.

Better to give Nieto or Phegley some action.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
If they don't think they can get T-Flow to bat better than the .095 he's been rocking for the past 5-6 weeks, and they don't like Phegley (not much, if any, better offense and awful D), and they think AJ can offer good handling of the pitching staff...I can see it.

Yup, the reason this is a possibility is that A.J. has handled a lot of our pitchers before. I wouldn't be completely against bringing him back for the rest of the season if Robin felt he wouldn't disrupt the clubhouse (not sure if chemistry played a role in his departure). Having said that, it's still in the realm of possibility that Hahn acquires a young catcher at the deadline, which would leave no room for A.J. anyways.