Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski

Eminor3rd

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Can't help but wonder if the timing of AJ getting DFA'd while the White Sox are in town might mean he's indeed coming back to the White Sox.

That would be sweet. They can use him for the rest of this year and next year as well. There's no one on the horizon better than him. If they do acquire a good starting catcher for next year somehow, AJ would be a good backup while Nieto gets evreryday ABs in the minors. If not, he can mentor Nieto next year.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
That would be sweet. They can use him for the rest of this year and next year as well. There's no one on the horizon better than him. If they do acquirel a good starting catcher for next year somehow, AJ would be a good backup while Nieto gets evreryday ABs in the minors. If not, he can mentor Nieto next year.
We are not going to make the playoffs no matter who we put behind the plate this year.. Eventually we will have to part ways with Flowers.AJ. has hit better but currently is in a slump. I hope if we do claim him we keep AJ on in some other capacity when his playing are over. He has some good baseball sense. He is the reason we won in "05.

I don't buy the clubhouse chemistry thing. First off, the team is about 40 under .500 since he left. If getting him off the team helped the chemistry, I hope they go back to the bad where they actually won a World Series. Secondly, if he was as hated as the people who have never been in the clubhouse on game day seem to think, I doubt the White Sox would have signed him to the 3 or 4 contracts they signed him to, and kept him around 8 seasons.

That said, if the Sox are ready to pull the plug on Flowers, at this point, they need to see if there is any hope with Phegley before they bring back AJ.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
I don't buy the clubhouse chemistry thing. First off, the team is about 40 under .500 since he left. If getting him off the team helped the chemistry, I hope they go back to the bad where they actually won a World Series. Secondly, if he was as hated as the people who have never been in the clubhouse on game day seem to think, I doubt the White Sox would have signed him to the 3 or 4 contracts they signed him to, and kept him around 8 seasons.

That said, if the Sox are ready to pull the plug on Flowers, at this point, they need to see if there is any hope with Phegley before they bring back AJ.

Phegley can't even catch the ball. The Sox need to respect the game and their fans more than running guys like Flowers and Phegley out there for two years in a row.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Phegley can't even catch the ball. The Sox need to respect the game and their fans more than running guys like Flowers and Phegley out there for two years in a row.

The Sox are rebuilding. There will be some crappy players out there during a rebuild. It's unavoidable. Bringing AJ and his .636 OPS back during a rebuild would be patronizing the fans.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
The Sox are rebuilding. There will be some crappy players out there during a rebuild. It's unavoidable. Bringing AJ and his .636 OPS back during a rebuild would be patronizing the fans.

I think 1, it would be a good PR move. 2. he is better than flowers and will provide more to the club.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
LOL

Sometimes I actually wonder if I was a Yankees fan in a past life because I never really have disliked the Yankees at all but for some reason I have always HATED the Red Sox, passionately.

I just hate them so bad that I still couldn't even root for them even after the acquired Peavy & Thornton and got those guys rings.

And so wow, what a great thing it is to go into Boston and have entire pathetic organization roll over like pathetic little puppies for the likes of Scott Carroll and co. AND NOW they are not only going to roll over for us but they are going to LICK OUR BALLS TOO by letting us get AJ back for nothing!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SS

MERCY!

God damn it this day awesome!

Sign AJ now, just f***ing DO IT! Give them some s***ty prospect, take back $1M or whatever, and let's do this thing right now so he has the chance to homer against these dips***s before the series is even out!

YES!

Put it on the board!

I really hate bahstin too, and Pierzynski is on my Mt. Rushmore of Sox players- I'm not sure that picking AJ up for free accomplishes any of that licking etc. that you mention.

I'd be surprised if the Sox picked him up. The White Sox aren't exactly looking down at too many teams in the standings this year, either. I wouldn't be opposed to it, just not sure what it would accomplish.

I really don't like the red sox though.

I'm a belieber, and a believer, in the White Sox chances of sneakily sneaking into the 2nd WC this season. I'm sure plenty of you disagree, but the team has been hot the past two weeks. Why not give fans like me a bone and DFA Flowers and grab AJ? I'd rather have a token move for us to try and get back in it then do nothing. Like many have said, we're not 2013 terrible where we are going to get a top 5 draft pick. So why not help us dillusional fans with the illusion that they still care about 2014? If AJP costs the league minimum, I say get him. Why not?

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
I'm a belieber, and a believer, in the White Sox chances of sneakily sneaking into the 2nd WC this season. I'm sure plenty of you disagree, but the team has been hot the past two weeks. Why not give fans like me a bone and DFA Flowers and grab AJ? I'd rather have a token move for us to try and get back in it then do nothing. Like many have said, we're not 2013 terrible where we are going to get a top 5 draft pick. So why not help us dillusional fans with the illusion that they still care about 2014? If AJP costs the league minimum, I say get him. Why not?

Well I think you're nuts but Stoney on the radio today seems to think the Sox have at least an outside shot at the 2nd WC. So you are not alone, he is here with you.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
I really hate bahstin too, and Pierzynski is on my Mt. Rushmore of Sox players- I'm not sure that picking AJ up for free accomplishes any of that licking etc. that you mention.

I'd be surprised if the Sox picked him up. The White Sox aren't exactly looking down at too many teams in the standings this year, either. I wouldn't be opposed to it, just not sure what it would accomplish.

I really don't like the red sox though.

Yeah I know but I love AJ though so I just get excited :)

I would love for the deal to happen tonight, then AJ is in the lineup tomorrow and hitting ropes off their s***ty pitchers. And then after the game where he gets 3 hits and drives in a couple runs he does some interviews and just buries their whole team in the newspapers. Wow how great that would be.

Don't see it happening . If he clears waivers then Boston can make the best deal for him right ? White Sox wouldn't be interested in picking up any of his salary except the prorated minimum so some contender will throw Boston a bone whether its salary relief or some A baller.

No contender is taking AJ. I doubt anybody takes AJ if the Sox don't.

Also, this is before July 31, so the waivers are not revocable. Boston has 10 days to deal him (which won't happen) and then he becomes a FA.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
Yeah I know but I love AJ though so I just get excited :)

I would love for the deal to happen tonight, then AJ is in the lineup tomorrow and hitting ropes off their s***ty pitchers. And then after the game where he gets 3 hits and drives in a couple runs he does some interviews and just buries their whole team in the newspapers. Wow how great that would be.

Ummm...I'm pretty much sure that's exactly the opposite of what would happen against Lester for AJ.

Although I'm also sure AJ would have plenty of motivation to do just what you're talking about.

I'm not thinking that he is naturally a good or bad component to clubhouse chemistry -- I'm just thinking that he is a very vocal and active figure that will affect it for better or for worse. It's a very different team since he left, and we don't know how they'd react to AJ, we just know that they WILL react some way. It'd be like dumping sodium into a random compound to see what it did. Maybe it would be a disaster, or maybe nothing, but we know sodium tends to react spectacularly with a lot fo things, so it's a more substantial risk than with something more stable.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
I'm not thinking that he is naturally a good or bad component to clubhouse chemistry -- I'm just thinking that he is a very vocal and active figure that will affect it for better or for worse. It's a very different team since he left, and we don't know how they'd react to AJ, we just know that they WILL react some way. It'd be like dumping sodium into a random compound to see what it did. Maybe it would be a disaster, or maybe nothing, but we know sodium tends to react spectacularly with a lot fo things, so it's a more substantial risk than with something more stable.

Well put. You deal with assholes when they are good baseball players, and guys have had a chance to deal with him and figure it out. AJ isn't good anymore, and it's almost an entirely new team. Why bother?

When Hawk talks about "we got rid of the aholes" and talks about the clubhouse and all that jazz, that's the exact guy that comes to mind every time. You've been around long enough, you know he's not very well liked, even by teammates. Don't buy it all you want, but it's absolutely a factor with AJ and everyone knows it.

Edited by IlliniKrush